Wolf's '93 Sport Getting A '94 'stang 5.0 and 4R70W '99 v8 X tranny | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wolf's '93 Sport Getting A '94 'stang 5.0 and 4R70W '99 v8 X tranny

Wolf's '93 Sport Getting A '94 'stang 5.0 and 4R70W '99 v8 X tranny (Completed)

Pre-note, now that I have confused everyone with a name change, took me a while to find my real login seeing I forgot what it was in the 2 years since I had last used it :) but I'm back!... now on with the show...

Ok, in the first thread I started (link here soon as I figure out how..) I was taking suggestions on what to use for the swap, well, now my mind is made up... and here is whats on it :D

Engine: '94 5.0lt EFI mustang motor, w/ all accories around 70k miles on it, need to get more info from the person I'm getting it from
-going with the '94 due to the shorter front for the much needed space in the X

Wiring:
Motor: '93 mustang harness, EEC-IV -going this route because of the EEC-IV adapts to mods much better then the post '94 computers
-going to wire the harness myself, that way its wired the way I want it, and run underhood the way I want

Trans: Baumann Engineering TCS, this unit will stand alone control the Aod-E/4R70W trans, unit using some of the EEC wiring for data to control the shift points and thottle kick down
-I dont think anyone else has gone this route, so I'll keep everyone up to date on how it works out

Trans/T-Case:
Trans: 4R70W, brand new '99 5.0 Explorer Trans *will not bolt up to the B/W 1350 t-case* also I dont know what the length is yet, still wating on them, if this trans is way over/under 29" overall its out and I'll be going with a Aod-E and a AA tailshaft kit

T-Case: Seeing that the 4R70W will not bolt up the b/w 1350 T-Case with out adapter, I'm looking to go with a Atlas T-Case, yeah it cost alot, but I'm already putting in a better motor/trans... why stop there *1 (see foot note)

Swap Adapters/kits:
This is the only part I cant make up my mind on =) I like the look of the L&L mounts, might end up going with duff for some of the other stuff also, I'll figure this out in the next 2 weeks

Overview: *1 (see foot note)
Reasons I have for going this route with this swap..
Well... I have a few reasons for going electronic with the trans, I really like the idea of being able to set the shift points, converter lockup, turning the OD on/off with a button. As for the hard parts of the trans, its a newer model year, parts should be easyer to find, from what i have heard its one of the stronger ones also, the lower gearing is a big plus, thats less $$ I need to spend on regearing the front and rear diffs untill I go over 31" tires and it should give the truck better highway/road performance. The T-Case... Atlas II 3.8:1 that speaks for itself :D , few of the hidden advantages to the atlas t-case is I can pull the ford t-case control box out of my rear sail panel which would give enough room probably for a onboard air compressor....
More info and PICTURES! to follow (I would have pics of the duff 2.5" stage 2 install, but I didnt want to kill my digital cam)

FootNote!
*1- results may vary on a person to person basis ;)

General Disclamer: Most info I have I have gathered in the last 2 weeks, most people wont agree with the Aod-E tranny, if ya dont like it, pay me way too much money and do the swap the way you think it should be done :p
All reasons and overview are my opinion, Please try not to spam this thread with flames

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok looked back at the pics i have in the thread, it looks like they dont have any clearance BUT I'm pretty sure I clocked the T-Case up 2 notches (the atlas has 5 or 6 holes (per stud) so you can play with the clocking of it alot

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looking good! I've seen this in person, and its a tight fit! :p

You'll be at Carlisle this year....RIGHT!? Good luck with the bumpers and the front end!

IAmTodd said:
Looking good! I've seen this in person, and its a tight fit! :p

You'll be at Carlisle this year....RIGHT!? Good luck with the bumpers and the front end!

hopefully i'll have most of the stuff i have planned done by Carlisle :bounce:
front and rear bumpers, sliders, some underside armor, rebuild the ttb, pull the motor and fix a few things, rip out the brake lines and redo them, get the motor running right, and probably redo the whole inside of the truck :D
plus a few other small things... It might all be done in time hehe

got any trans cooler line pics and where did you get the fittings?

cjcnomor4 said:
got any trans cooler line pics and where did you get the fittings?

wow i'm mr slow to reply to threads, for the fittings i took the ones off the stock radiator and the ones that came in the 4r70w to a local speed shop and told them to order me AN fittings to match them.... i dont have the part numbers anymore, pics wont show much either, just to braided lines running down the frame

I may have some updates to the swap soon, really thinking about pulling and resetting the v8 cause i'm not happy with how it sits in the engine bay

v8 swap overview

Time to revisit for a update of the swap up till now,
The good:
so far it runs great after fixing the emissions sensors,
The bad
had a nasty bearing noise from the front end, turned out to the the idler pulley replacement one was wider then the stock one so I needed to shim the flex fan out about a 1/16 of a inch when its not running the fan blades touch the pully
The remote oil filter... leaks, alot, a whole lot... its now at the top of the list of crap that needs to be fix (not that I needed more)
A/C, total no go with the '95 brackets, compressor and the steering box were fighting for the same space, steering box seemed more important so it won
L&L motor mounts, very nice, but engine sits up too high, another item on the list of things I really dont wanna fix :p:
Electrical has a drain with the key off, kills the battery in less then a week if I dont drive it every day, thats with a 1amp float charger hooked to it...

More changes, updates and upgrades to come... and pics!

I must ask about the light bar what do you use it for???

Yeah, pick a reason for the light bar, use to do search and rescue/first responder, towing and recovery, streetlighting repair work and now snow removal/construction... that light bar has seen alot of use

wow sorry to hear about all the bugs you are still having.
Welcome to the world of drivetrain conversions hahaha I spent one year fighting the wiring that was initially done when I went 2.9L to 4.0L, then ripped it all out and re-built it correctly.

I am still fighting an 02 sensor code in my BII, but that may be because one of my TM headers is leaking, again, this time I am getting expensive gaskets

My L&L mounts also need to be removed and welded up.

The Canton racing billet oil filter adapter is by far the way to go with the 5.0L, it will give you the most clearance to the steering box and will not leak, you can also rotate it 360 to point where ever you choose.

How does it drive? are you hapyp with the TCS controller? hehehe

wow sorry to hear about all the bugs you are still having.
Welcome to the world of drivetrain conversions hahaha I spent one year fighting the wiring that was initially done when I went 2.9L to 4.0L, then ripped it all out and re-built it correctly.

I am still fighting an 02 sensor code in my BII, but that may be because one of my TM headers is leaking, again, this time I am getting expensive gaskets

My L&L mounts also need to be removed and welded up.

The Canton racing billet oil filter adapter is by far the way to go with the 5.0L, it will give you the most clearance to the steering box and will not leak, you can also rotate it 360 to point where ever you choose.

How does it drive? are you hapyp with the TCS controller? hehehe

Well since I did that resistor trick on all the sensors (except the 2 o2 sensors) the truck has been code free and I really need to look in to that filter adapter, tho when I change it out I'm going with AN fittings and braided line, part of my big leak is from the crap ass hose and hose clamps... :mad:

Drives great other then it leaking oil all over the place right now, the TCS controller is really cool, tho my truck still shifts like a 1/4 mile car cause I cant make sense of the line pressure curves for the shift points :confused: thing is way to adjustable, been looking on and off for the original v8 explorer shift points but havent been able to find them anywhere either

Forgot one thing, I still need to swap in a 2nd gen shifter stalk w/ the OD lockout button as well

I used a 96 Mustang floor shifter

Joe Dietz (93 Explorer Eddie BAuer has a Mustang HO engine attached to a 4r70w) using the Baumman controller, he has resolved all of his firm shifting issues, I am sure he can get you the info you need on the shift points and line pressures, he had a similar struggle with his truck. Originally he tried to use an AOD but could never get the correct valve body/setup so finally went to the Baumman and 4r70w.

For his 93 all we did was cut his column shifter arm and use the end of a gen II with OD button, welded it on and ran the wires...

DAMN!

What a thread, and I thought my swap was taking long. Just read through this whole thing, Very interesting information in here.

I look forward to future updates.

My swap has been done for around 4years now, and I had to take a bunch of time off from working on it as well

I used a 96 Mustang floor shifter

Joe Dietz (93 Explorer Eddie BAuer has a Mustang HO engine attached to a 4r70w) using the Baumman controller, he has resolved all of his firm shifting issues, I am sure he can get you the info you need on the shift points and line pressures, he had a similar struggle with his truck. Originally he tried to use an AOD but could never get the correct valve body/setup so finally went to the Baumman and 4r70w.

For his 93 all we did was cut his column shifter arm and use the end of a gen II with OD button, welded it on and ran the wires...

Well crap, I must not have read that when ya posted it at first, how can I get ahold of Joe? cause the TCS program is just alittle file on a computer, I could just flash my controler w/ his settings...

On another note, too the truck in for emissions testing yet again, passed no problem even with a IAC that is going bad and I also found my notepad with the resistor listings for the emissions system bypass for someone with a 93'ish 5.0 computer to get rid of all the sensor codes, I'll get that posted up in a little while

I am starting a v8 swap in my 03 edge 2 wheel drive. I have a lLncoln with a 300 hp 5.0 transmission & rear end for the swap. I'm not sure what year the car is but it has the Hi Po motor. The rear end is the same width. It will need spring blocks & shock mounts added. I'll post pics once the crap 3.0 is out.

Back