Do factory alloy wheels from a Ranger or an Explorer fit on an Aerostar? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do factory alloy wheels from a Ranger or an Explorer fit on an Aerostar?

Tracybarnhill

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Aerostar
I want to replace the stock plain wheels on my 1996 Aerostar XLT AWD with factory alloy wheels. Can i use any wheels from a Ranger/Explorer ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have 2006 mustang wheels on mine.i needed one inch spacers.

There are tire size calcualators online. I found that a 215/65/15 is the same size and height of the factory 215/70/14. And a 215/60/16, the same. Any Ranger/Explorer rim through 1999 should fit, with the right tire.

15" wheel question

Here's another question(s) that's been discussed quite a bit here, but there are still a couple of questions I have about changing over from 14" to 15" wheels. I'd stay with 14" tires, but the selection is next to none in the 215/70-14 OEM. To give a little more selection, when the 14s need replacement (they are 9 years old, so should be changed now), the plan is to go with 15" wheels. First question: If going with a 215/65-15, what is the correct rim width.....6.5" maybe? Next question: How much offset has the OEM 14" wheel? I'll need to know this so I don't have problems with tires rubbing on suspension. I'd like to stay with steel wheels as they seem to hold air pressure better than alloys, especially up here in the Minnesota tundra where winter temps of -20F are not uncommon. Last question: Any recommendations for salvaging some steel 15's at the pick n pull that will fit the 215/65-15 tire size?

Well.....not quite, as I already know the recommended 15" tire size. My questions are about rim width and offset, which Adam's post doesn't address.

Well.....not quite, as I already know the recommended 15" tire size. My questions are about rim width and offset, which Adam's post doesn't address.

Jeep cherokee base model had steel wheels in 15 inch that fit the van perfectly. I know a 225 wide tire will fit too.

Thanks for the tip Josh. I'll be checking the local pick n pull for some jeep Cherokee rims. Also, I did some more web searches and came up with this site: http://tyresizecalculator.com. It shows that 15X7 and 15X7.5 wheels are best suited for the 215 tire width. Adam's suggestion to use Explorer or Ranger rims is well taken, too. When I go to the yard to search, it's probably good to have the tape measure along, too.

I don't know if any help, but on the 15" aftermarket steelies that came on my Aero I found a 215/R70/15 filled out the wheel wells really nicely. The tire might get a little close to the front coils for some people's comfort, but the tires that came on the van were a hair wider and showed no signs of rub wear.

I'm unfortunately not sure what width/offset the rims are, but looking at them while they were mounting the tires I would have guessed they're 15x6.5 or 7, which is pretty common.

FWIW I went with these tires: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Goodyear-Viva-3-All-Season-Tire-215-70R15-98T/42353789

98T rating, and at the time I got them they had them for a little over $60 ea.

This photo explains how to read the markings on a tire:

Attachments

• tire-reading.jpg
    tire-reading.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 433

Yes, the backspacing of the rim is always a concern. I did some trading for a set of 16" rims & tires off an 05 Mustang. They have, like most newer rims, a lot more backspacing! And, the newer hubs are narrower. I couldn't get the fronts on due to the small center hub hole. The rears went on, but something on the driver side made a knocking noise when making a turn! I know spacers would work, as seen on Zenish's van, but I didn't feel like messing with all that. I've seen many, many Aeros with the 16" Explorer alloys. And, I picked up a set of 15" s off a 99 Explorer a while back. I bought a pair of new Falkens, and put them on the rear of my 95 for 40K miles. I didn't want to buy new tires for the front, since the alignment was off and tire wear was uneven.

Yes, the backspacing of the rim is always a concern. I did some trading for a set of 16" rims & tires off an 05 Mustang. They have, like most newer rims, a lot more backspacing! And, the newer hubs are narrower. I couldn't get the fronts on due to the small center hub hole. The rears went on, but something on the driver side made a knocking noise when making a turn! I know spacers would work, as seen on Zenish's van, but I didn't feel like messing with all that. I've seen many, many Aeros with the 16" Explorer alloys. And, I picked up a set of 15" s off a 99 Explorer a while back. I bought a pair of new Falkens, and put them on the rear of my 95 for 40K miles. I didn't want to buy new tires for the front, since the alignment was off and tire wear was uneven.

It takes a 1/4 inch spacer and longer studs in the front for the Mustang wheels to fit. A 245 40 r17 is the widest that will clear. On the rear axle if your bushings have any wear the tires will rub the the body. I found this out when I tried to put the wheels on my current van.

Back