Ranger motor swap questions

ranger1962

Reaction score
City, State
Glendale Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Ranger
Happy Saturday,

I have a 1997 Ranger with a blown motor, what year Rangers & Explorers would be a good swap & update with out much adapting ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe 2001 is the newest you can go without quite a bit of modification.

Easiest path would be a '96 or '97 Expo doner. Same fuel system, no security to work around and includes a speed signal for the speedo, PCM and cruise control.

The later '97 with the external EGR tube from the left exhaust manifold will have marginally better heads and much better exhaust manifolds.

Going 98 and newer will add complications but a '98 through '01 are possible options as well.

Happy Saturday,

I have a 1997 Ranger with a blown motor, what year Rangers & Explorers would be a good swap & update with out much adapting ?

95-97 would be direct fit. 98-01 4.0 ohv engines will work but they have an 8 bolt crank so you need the flex plate too.

What motor is in there now? If you have a 4.0l then going to the sohc motor isn't a hard swap.

What motor is in there now? If you have a 4.0l then going to the sohc motor isn't a hard swap.

He wanted to know what the newest he could go to

Back