Solved - 1995 Aerostar with a 3.0L. What am I looking at (vacuum line help)? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved 1995 Aerostar with a 3.0L. What am I looking at (vacuum line help)?

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

IronJedi

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Aerostarr
New Member here. Own a '95 Aerostar 3.0l 6 2WD. Trying to save money by doing my own maintenance and finding lots of help here. Was wondering though if some of the experts might weigh in with some confirmations and help.

If I'm correct, I'm looking at the cause of my stuck-in-defrost enviro controls- a melted/severed vacuum line, correct?

Under20the20hood204_zpshxt1xmlj.jpg

Under%20the%20hood_zpscoytf2p8.jpg

And if I'm correct, once I purchase a new line, where do I attach the other end? Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On a related note

I was also checking the thread about ECVP issues and rough running. Is this, the silver cylinder with the sparkplug-like boot on the top, the ECPV?

Under%20the%20hood%203_zpsjsyfqp2v.jpg

Also, what are these two things over the canister itself?

Under%20the%20hood%202_zpsochhxcxd.jpg

Welcome to this forum! I'll try to answer these questions in a random order. The cylinder shaped part with the L shaped rubber boot is the heater control valve. The 2 caps on the top of the charcoal canister are breather filters. The worn vacuum line is near the check valve, and is usually the most common hard plastic vacuum line to fail. The rubber hose goes into the vacuum tree. Check the rubber boot for cracks near the charcoal canister under the air cleaner box. There's a vacuum diagram under the hood which shows how everything is routed. Make sure that the vacuum tree has a rubber cap over the extra port.

Welcome to this forum! I'll try to answer these questions in a random order... There's a vacuum diagram under the hood which shows how everything is routed. Make sure that the vacuum tree has a rubber cap over the extra port.

Thanks BB! Was hoping you'd reply. You seem to be the guy with the :)aerostar:) answers. :) Wanted to try and clean the ECVP, can you tell me if it's any of my pics. If not, can you give me some idea what I'm looking for and where?

Also I'm a visual/pic kinda guy so I looked on google for a pic of a "Vacuum Tree" and found this-
1ST_GEN_vacuum_tree.jpg

I'm looking for something similar for where to reconnect/reattach that rubber hose, correct?

Thanks again for your help.

After removing the in-cabin "doghouse" cover, I found my vacuum tree. There is a piece of line/tubing that loops between the two lowest posts. Would I be correct in assuming that the line in my first two pictures needs to be attached to one of those inlets and the other one needs to be capped, since I no longer have an A/C compressor? If so, any idea which one? I don't have an under-hood vac diagram...

You should have several vacuum lines in that area (cruise control, transmission vacuum modulator, power brake booster, PCV valve, emissions related stuff, A/C, etc). Plug the line which came out into one port fitting, and cap the next fitting.

Ok. So I've reconfigured the lines several times, including running a new line from the fitting in the first picture to several of the ports on the vac tree, including one that was capped. Currently I have defrost, floor and mix but still don't have vent- after putting everything back the way I found it...

The only lines I didn't mess with were this line with the fitting, which is cut off a little farther down the line and I believe comes off the freon reservoir (?) and ran to the a/c compressor, which is no longer there.

100_2104_zpssnsqoe2v.jpg

And this one which runs from the vac tree to the front driver side into a disc-shaped unit sitting behind the battery and has another line running from it into the firewall:

100_2105_zpsxbhca2lc.jpg

Any further suggestions?

After some experimenting on the lines' configuration on the vac tree, adding a cap and running a new line, problem solved. Thanks for your help.

Back