2000 AWD Xploder from Turbo back to NA | Page 37 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2000 AWD Xploder from Turbo back to NA

After getting an estimate on how much it would run me to fix up my Xploder with all new exhaust, cold side piping, and a bunch of other stuff done up the "right" way... I've decided to convert my Xploder back to NA form so that I can actually ENJOY the truck before I die of old age.

Anyways... To start it off I ordered up a MAC cold air intake (I do not have the stock intake) and sold my FMS headers on ebay.

I plan on buying a set of torque monster headers in the next week or so but am still up in the air on how I should run my exhaust from a performance "speed" perspective. I do not plan on doing much, if any, off road driving, so am looking for a setup that improves take off and speed for spirited pavement driving that sounds good.

I already have the spare tire removed (and will be keeping it off, I have free towing anyways lol)... What would an optimal setup be with the above in mind and no worry of a spare tire being in the way? True duals (straight pipe off of each header, thru separate mufflers, and out the sides), or a dual exhaust both going into a 2 in 2 out "H" pipe style muffler and then out the sides? Or something else? In all cases I won't be running any cats.

I also plan to re-tune my car since currently it is tuned for the turbo setup which obviously will no longer apply once I rip everything out.

Thank you for any input! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Trying to track down where I put my damn dual contour e-fan wiring harness... Lol :-/

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Im just glad to see you are back at getting this project finished.

Im just glad to see you are back at getting this project finished.

Me too. Has been a busy last year or so :-/ Finally ready to get the Xploder back on the street!

Well... it seems like every weekend here in TN... Rain.. Rain... More rain! I did pull my e-fan back out of the car (pops in and out within a few minutes as I mounted it within the fan shroud) and wired up connectors on both fan motors. Need to buy some thicker wiring still for when I merge the two fans into a single wire run :D

Well.. Went from rain to.. HOT HOT HOT. Lol. Just bought some 8g wire so hopefully can finish up wiring of my e-fan soon now :D

Man.. I really need to finish this damn project lol. Hoping for a weekend that isn't all RAIN (and motivation that lines up with the weather lol).

Get out there now, it's sunny, and the rain is coming back again tonight.

Another bump from the DEAD haha. Has been a nice few days and I finally was able to get a little more work done on the Xploder lol. I wired up the PWM fan controller and mapped out the the last bit of wiring between the controller and the fan/battery. The electric WP wiring is done except for the wire to hook to the ignition piece I believe.

Looking over the rest of the truck it looks like I'll need some new brakes as they look like a solid block of rust at this point from sitting for so long lol. Need to tighten up a bunch of bolts and put the dual electric fan contraption I built back into the truck (thankfully it's mostly a modular piece now and just slides back in and bolts up super easy). Once the fan is in I can hook it up to the fan controller. Also need oil, coolant, AC related stuff, etc... And prayer once I add that (and a new battery) it... actually runs. HAHA.

I thought you had moved on to other things.

I thought you had moved on to other things.

Haha, nah.. Just busy busy busy... 5 kids, 3 jobs, wife with some medical issues... Not much time to do much else unfortunately but I am committed to eventually finishing the xploder! Lol :D

The wife told me she is tired of the Xploder sitting in the driveway so I got the thumbs up to finally finish the project lol. Will be ordering some parts in the next few days to hopefully get this over the hump and back on the road. Also need to order a few things for the SVTf.

Got some of my stuff in yesterday... New Optima Yellow Top battery (my old battery has long since kicked the bucket after sitting dead for a couple years lol), lots of AMSOIL oil and coolant, oil filter, and then some parts for my focus.

Tossed in the battery, wired up most of the PWM fan controller, WP is wired up for the most part, put the e-fan setup in, bolted up the AC stuff, attached the fan controller temp probe, etc. Plan to solder up some of the connections and such tomorrow.. Ran out of light.

Can see the fan wiring setup... Tapped the + and -- off of the wiring harness I made and the fan spun up without a problem so at least I know it works lol. Waiting on my new battery terminals to show up before I do all of that related wiring.

uc

Battery in place but a huge wiring mess still... Nothing finished and cleaned up by any means (obviously lol).

uc

Can see the fan controller mounted beside the battery bolted up and wired. Near the old location of my HID ballast so need to move it forward or may relocate to old airbox on other side of car and mount both ballasts next to each other or something.

uc

Got some more work done on the xploder.. Wired up the the electric fan to the fan controller..

ForumRunner_20160207_174943.png

Not beautiful but not to bad I guess lol.

Found some oil covered electrical taped up connectors (maf) that didn't look good so cut them up and rewired with solder and heat shrink.

ForumRunner_20160207_175242.png

Does anyone know where, in the engine bay, I can splice into a key on source? Need one for my electric water pump.

It's been a while since I've been messing with this car and forgot where some of the pieces go lol.

I found these vacuum connections..

ForumRunner_20160207_175933.png

Assuming it hooks up with this hose piece I found in a box lol..

ForumRunner_20160207_180113.png

Not sure where the piece that runs up and off is supposed to hook to... Perhaps it use to go to my now deleted egr system and I can block it?

Also found these 2 plugs and can't remember what they go to lol.. Thoughts?

ForumRunner_20160207_180410.png

That pic showing the tap off the brake booster looks like it was added for a vac/boost gauge? If not that, for the blow off valve? Either way, you could cap it off.

On the last pic, you should see a vacuum plug in off your upper intake manifold and a electrical plug in off you engine wiring harness.

Keep in mind I'm guessing as my engine bay isn't exactly stock, and yours wasn't either.

edit...that breather filter on the oil fill tube....That shouldn't be there anymore. You are running a pcv valve are you not? That breather tube is going to be a vacuum leak. There should be a tube on that oil filler that runs to the intake tube after the maf but before the throttle body. The idea here is that metered air gets drawn thru the motor and to the lower intake via the pcv valve. This pulls combustion gasses out of the bottom end and keeps your oil cleaner while reducing bad emissions.

Since the rear mount turbo is gone, the intake tube is no longer carrying boost. This means you can make the pcv system work as it dod from the factory.

Thanks for the reply!

That pic showing the tap off the brake booster looks like it was added for a vac/boost gauge? If not that, for the blow off valve? Either way, you could cap it off.

Yeah, I believe it was tapped into for the boost gauge and BoV. I still have the boost gauge (it's molded in).. Well.. Vac gauge at this point lol. If I wanted to keep the gauge working would I just plug in the T tap brake booster line and then a hose runs off in the pic towards the manifold (found a pic of an engine bay and it shows a hose running off behind the manifold)... Did that usually run to the EGR valve? I have no EGR any longer so if that's the case I could just block it perhaps?

Found this old pic of my car when it was hooked up:

picture.php

On the last pic, you should see a vacuum plug in off your upper intake manifold and a electrical plug in off you engine wiring harness.

I think I may have found where these go looking over old photos.. Will have to delve into truck to eyeball it when I get a chance.

edit...that breather filter on the oil fill tube....That shouldn't be there anymore. You are running a pcv valve are you not? That breather tube is going to be a vacuum leak. There should be a tube on that oil filler that runs to the intake tube after the maf but before the throttle body. The idea here is that metered air gets drawn thru the motor and to the lower intake via the pcv valve. This pulls combustion gasses out of the bottom end and keeps your oil cleaner while reducing bad emissions.

Since the rear mount turbo is gone, the intake tube is no longer carrying boost. This means you can make the pcv system work as it dod from the factory.

So I should put the oil cap back on in place of the breather filter and then unblock the side hose and hook it somewhere? Looking over pictures of other engine bays I see that the hose can run to a currently capped spot on my MAC intake and hook there with some kind of adapter... Such as seen in this picture from another member of the site I believe:

picture.php

And how it use to look on my Xploder:

picture.php

Capped the line but can see the spot I guess I could connect a line from the dipstick tube to the MAC intake tube. On a side note... Is there a disadvantage to just using the breather as it currently is setup (and how I ran it NA for a pretty long time without issue before pulling the car apart) performance wise or is it just an emission better for the atmosphere thing?

Sorry, I became a bit confused on the egr. I think you are right, that doohicky with the vac line and connector are for EGR. With no egr, cap the vac line and don't bother plugging it in.

I believe you are spot on with the vac gauge and the oil fill/breather.

Sorry, I became a bit confused on the egr. I think you are right, that doohicky with the vac line and connector are for EGR. With no egr, cap the vac line and don't bother plugging it in.

I believe you are spot on with the vac gauge and the oil fill/breather.

Thanks for the info as always!

And the oil fill all I need to do is get a new hose (any idea what diameter it is off top of head? 5/8" I think I've seen but not sure if that was for this specific hose or other lol) and then run it from the oil fill tube to the intake? Sounds easy enough.

I'll cap the EGR junk.

The brake booster hose that T's for the gauge and what not.. The end that runs off behind the intake manifold.. Does that typically run to the EGR and thus should be capped? I cannot find a dang picture of what it runs to lol.

And the oil fill all I need to do is get a new hose (any idea what diameter it is off top of head? 5/8" I don't know. 3/4 or 5/8" I think

I'll cap the EGR junk.

The brake booster hose that T's for the gauge and what not.. The end that runs off behind the intake manifold.. Does that typically run to the EGR and thus should be capped? I cannot find a dang picture of what it runs to lol.
OK, the brake booster....the one end that has been added (small diameter hose) goes to Vac gauge, and the other end of the large diameter hose goes directly to the back of the upper intake manifold. The brake booster needs a big vacuum source. You can't see a picture because the connection is buried behind that upper intake

Ahhh, ok.. I'll have to look harder when I have some light and see if I can find where that upper IM connection is.. Thanks! :D

Back