• Register Today It's free!

dome lights wont go off

PHAT91XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Davenport, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer XLT 4dr 4x4
Ok..was at Lowes pickin up some stuff and went to leave. Heard a POP and all my interior lights came on. Now they wont go off had to pull the fuse to turn them off. WHAT THE HECK?!?!?:eek:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you sure you didn't acidentally hit the interior light dimmer switch all the way up so it turns them on??

Also try the door ajar switches in each door.

lol..yes I am sure I didnt hit the dome light switch. I checked all the door pins and still wont go off..electrical gremlins SUCK!!:banghead:

did you ever find out what was wrong ? mine has started doing the same thing:mad:

My '96 XLT just started this. I had to pull the fuse to turn off the lights. I'm worried that the same fuse which controls the interior lights is also used for the 4WD system, which I had repaired recently. Fuse #27. Anyone have any ideas?

Try pulling out each door switch, and unplugging them one by one, chances are it is a stuck switch.

Originally posted by GaryGnu
My '96 XLT just started this. I had to pull the fuse to turn off the lights. I'm worried that the same fuse which controls the interior lights is also used for the 4WD system, which I had repaired recently. Fuse #27. Anyone have any ideas?

I looked for a switch. I could not find one anywhere on any doors. I've got a '96 XLT. What am I doing wrong? What does the switch look like?

I'm not sure about a 96, but look for a little push button in front of the door, where the speaker wires go into the door.....

it's the connectors inside the door, pull the panel off, and disconnect the connector, probably the dr. side is the culprit

i believe this problem to be your dimmer switch guys.i have a 2000 x and last night after leaving the vehicle i noticed my dome and puddle lamps stayed on too.i went inside and had to turn the dimmer switch all the way off.i noticed it wouldnt act right no more either.this is a problem with all late model x`s.i know a guy who had the same problem but his dash lights would flare and come n go....he went thru 3 dimmer switches from ford until he finally got one to work.also the rear wiper motor goes bad on the late models too...mine was replaced at 20,thousand miles already.at 33thousand the thermostat went.anyway check those dimmer switches guys n let us know ........joedoe

mine wouldnt go off yesterday...had something to do with the rear glass.

I had this happen with my tailgate glass. I sprayed the switch with WD-40 and it works fine now. I also got my parking brake light working with WD-40. I love this stuff.

WD-40 = Mechanic in a can!:D

Ford should issue a can of WD-40 with all new Explorers.

Originally posted by Runnin'OnEmpty
I had this happen with my tailgate glass. I sprayed the switch with WD-40 and it works fine now. I also got my parking brake light working with WD-40. I love this stuff.

WD-40 = Mechanic in a can!:D

Ford should issue a can of WD-40 with all new Explorers.
Haha! For some reason I can't stop laughing about that analogy, because it's so true. WD-40 is the wonder spray. It can solve any problem when allied with the duct tape. Together, they will take over the world one day.

Originally posted by Majisto
Haha! For some reason I can't stop laughing about that analogy, because it's so true. WD-40 is the wonder spray. It can solve any problem when allied with the duct tape. Together, they will take over the world one day.

:D

That is so true.

Originally posted by Majisto

well: wd-40, duct tape, zipties, and marvel mystery oil will fix anything :)

Originally posted by jimabena74
well: wd-40, duct tape, zipties, and marvel mystery oil will fix anything :)

Don't forget JBweld, Jim lol:D

Oh yes, and Herculiner :D

How long did you wait to see if your lights would turn off? Mine has this delay alarm feature that lets you have all the interior lights on for up to a minute. That might be it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

mine wont go on.....but thatscause i accidently painted the termianls on it......shoot!:p

Back