Carnage at the ORV Park... (56k Beware) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Carnage at the ORV Park... (56k Beware)

Got bit at the park today. I was going down a trail that I've been down before. I knew it was a bit radical so I asked a buddy to snap pics of me coming through. Arco777 was there as was my wife. My wife was running the video camera, I'll post the video up once it get it rendered.

Oh the humanity!!! LOL

DSC_0099.jpg

DSC_0100.jpg

DSC_0101.jpg

DSC_0102.jpg

DSC_0103.jpg

DSC_0104.jpg

DSC_0113.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After looking at the pics and watching the vid, I can't see an easy way around that one... I think it was probably unavoidable.... Simply beyond the capabilities of your truck at that time. Here's why I think that:

From this pic:
DSC_0101.jpg

The right rear tire appears to be in the air. I'm not sure how much farther to the passenger side you could have driven without rolling the truck when the wheel dropped into the hole. It was close as it was. I suspect that any farther to the passenger side and when the wheel dropped in, it may have flopped the corner of the cab roof/door up against the bank, and that wouldn't have been good either.

The only way I could see getting through that undamaged would be through some clever side-winching. Goosing it when you did probably didn't help matters much, but I suspect in the moment you instinctually thought you were going over and wanted to try and get the front end back to level ground. If you had stopped and side-winched off the rocks, it may have emerged with nothing more than some scrapes, but who knows?

Either way, it'll buff out. Glad she came through under her own power at least! :) Don't armchair-quarterback it too badly... Gotta pay to play. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not sure how much farther to the passenger side you could have driven without rolling the truck when the wheel dropped into the hole. It was close as it was. I suspect that any farther to the passenger side and when the wheel dropped in, it may have flopped the corner of the cab roof/door up against the bank, and that wouldn't have been good either.
That is EXACTLY what was going through my head at the time. I knew it was going to drop, however I didn't expect it to be THAT much. But being the "prepared" thinker I am, I though "well, just in case something DOES go wrong, I'd rather lay it up against the side then the roof". Rubber side down right?? LOL.

As far as straddling the rut, I don't think I had the width to do that, again I was afraid that if something DID go wrong, there would be much less damage going the way I went.

I should have listened to my instincts. I had noticed that some of the trails were more dramatic than on previous trips. I even dragged my ass on a few trails that I had never scraped on. In fact, I had just bought a recovery receiver for the back. I heard a bang and knew that I had dragged it, didn't realize that it broke the pin and the receiver fell out.

I always preach "At the end of the day, I gotta drive it to work Monday", I got ****y and got bit. It happens, I've already contacted my "body shop" buddy. He'll fix her up good as new :thumbsup:

I remember wheeling back in '01 with my brand new '01 Explorer. The first damage was horrible...but after about 3 or 4 dings, it just didn't matter anymore.

There are two types of people that offroad, those that have damaged their vehicles, and those that are going to damage their vehicles...welcome to group 1 :)

There are two types of people that offroad, those that have damaged their vehicles, and those that are going to damage their vehicles...welcome to group 1 :)
Awesome :thumbsup:

take a sharpie, date and location of the damage. Clear coat it so the pen doesn't disappear and you are good to go. Much better stories then a fixed body panel.

take a sharpie, date and location of the damage. Clear coat it so the pen doesn't disappear and you are good to go. Much better stories then a fixed body panel.
I could see that, however it's my daily driver. I work from my truck LOL. I'm thinking an 80 to 96 Ford Half Ton for rough trails. Off-Road Mag has a write up on Rough Country's >$500.00 lift for it. CLICKY Sounds like beater pricing to me LOL.

I could see that, however it's my daily driver. I work from my truck

...I used that line several times...I now just need to find a new daily driver...:D

...I used that line several times...I now just need to find a new daily driver...:D
Agreed, but I would think a beater would be cheaper than finding a new DD. I already have a tow pig, Nissan X-Terra's gotta be good from something eh? lol.

I'll still hit the trails with the Ranger, it's going to Ouray this summer, but I probably won't be doing any difficult trails, I'll stick to the 1 and 2 diamonds with it. I'll get something else to bang the hell out of.

i agree on getting a different truck to beat on instead of getting a new DD.

i picked up a 93 cherokee with no doors or glass and an exocage on it for $300

Back