Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum > Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum

Notices

Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum Ford Ranger and Mazda B Series forums. The Mazda B2300 B3000 and B4000 are clones of the Ford Ranger, with all systems the same. The only differences are trim and a few body parts. This forum discusses Ford Ranger and Mazda B series specific issues. Owners of the older Mazda B2000 B2200 and B2600 are welcome as well.

Ranger Edge

Old 06-23-2001, 07:47 PM   #1
espnfreak
Elgin, IL
'99 Maxima SE-L *5spd

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Ranger Edge

Hey what do you guys think of the 2001 Ranger edge with the 4.0L sohc and the offroad package and that sweet grille! I love it and i think its a MAJOR power improvement from the 4 cylinder. Has anyone driven it? hows the ride? i just looked in it, and its fine for a coupla people, but the back is kinda small to seat people unless your going on short trips. overall i think that is one sweet car!

'99 Maxima SE-Limited 5 spd - 42,000 mi, fully loaded, silver
espnfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn what modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to see less ads, no green underlined links, and many other benefits such as being able to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 06-23-2001, 07:54 PM   #2
IAMCDN
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
'94 XLT 4x4 4 Dr **sold**

Vehicle Specs

Love the look. Looks really agressive.

Haven't driven one, But they sure do turn heads.

Old 06-23-2001, 07:54 PM   #3
jimbo74
Elite Ranger
Nor*Cal

98 XLT Supercab 4x2

Vehicle Specs

i saw a yellow one in so-cal....it was sweet

Old 06-23-2001, 08:27 PM   #4
tbomb
Levittown, NY (Long Island)
98 Sport 4.0 SOHC 4x4

Vehicle Specs

yeah, i havent driven one, but they look really nice.

Like tbomb's, if my X could be like tbomb's." icon34
tbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2001, 10:30 PM   #5
espnfreak
Elgin, IL
'99 Maxima SE-L *5spd

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
ya it looks real sweet! only if they did something like that to the X. I like the look of that black grille and those big huge tires on the offroad package. i was on a limited budget when i bought my car, and am now considering buying a 1996 v-8 AWD explorer. I want to make mine like troll's. how'd he get 2wd out of a v-8? did he do a axle swap?

Old 06-26-2001, 05:56 PM   #6
Josh Adams
Elite Ranger
Westminster, SC

'01 Ranger XLT

Vehicle Specs

the edge is a pretty good driver. the gas mileage sucks b/c of the 4.10 ratio. i have an xlt that has everything the edge has. it drives like an explorer,
Josh Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2001, 03:44 AM   #7
RON COX
Las Vegas, NV
'91 X, 4 dr. & 03 Ranger

Vehicle Specs

I really like the new Edge. I drove a 4.0 w/auto and I wasn't impressed with the auto. It searched way too much for a new tranny. The other thing I did'nt like was the fact you can't get it with a manual tranny or x-case or hubs. In my opinion if Ford is going to offer a "Off-road" package they need to provide those items, not just a sticker and skid plates.

Old 06-27-2001, 03:59 AM   #8
CougarX
Louisville, Kentucky
'98 EB, '02 ST, '97 XLT

Vehicle Specs

I love the new Edges. I almost bought one instead of my 98 EB (the V8 and luxury won...). They drive similar to Explorers but the suspension is tighter. They really move with the SOHC compared to the old OHV. I like the looks from all angles except head on. If you look at it straight from the front the tires look way undersized for some reason. Other than that I think they look great. The only thing bad I've heard is that they sometimes have a hard time getting the 15/19 milegae that they advertise...
CougarX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2001, 04:33 AM   #9
Jefe
Clarksville, TN
'00 XLT 4x4

Vehicle Specs

My friend has a black one. It looks sweet. However he says the gas milage sucks right now, and since it has a factory lift, it'd be expensive to do a suspension lift to it. It does great off-road with the SOHC, 4.10's and LS. Just needs some bigger tires.

Old 06-28-2001, 02:12 PM   #10
Ray Lobato

2006 Honda Accord

Vehicle Specs

Smile

Well I have a 3 liter 2wd Edge and wish I could have found the 4 liter instead. I don't need 4wd, that's what my Explorer is for. What I do like about it is, it is as high as the 4wd's and I too like the front power hood and front grill. I have to go over a mountian every day to go to work and think that the 3.ol needs a little help getting over it. A 4.ol wouldn't shift as much going over, or at least my explorer didn't(when it was stock). Oh and the stereo is decent too, for a stock machine.

Old 06-28-2001, 03:22 PM   #11
espnfreak
Elgin, IL
'99 Maxima SE-L *5spd

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
why did ford make 4 cylinder rangers? oh man are those a little underpowered!

Old 07-05-2001, 03:41 PM   #12
FitzMatt
Santa Clara, CA
1992 Explorer XLT 4x4

Vehicle Specs

And those 4 cylinder Bronco IIs!! The 6 in mine is borderline underpowered...but a 4?? Oh an how can they put a 4 cylinder in a Mustang?????? That's just sinful!

Neo-Blue Underbody Kit
4 9" Neo-blue tubes / 2 Clear strobes / 2 Neo-blue license plate frames / 4 Neo-blue headlight strobes
FitzMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 04:22 PM   #13
espnfreak
Elgin, IL
'99 Maxima SE-L *5spd

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
lol thats bad, anyways that v-6 160 hp is pretty quick with my borla and k&N. i floored it the other day and its not bad. imagine when i get my chip. i actually peeled out around the corner in my neighborhood. i was trying to let off steam

Old 08-01-2001, 11:11 PM   #14
EdgeRanger
Callicoon Center NY
2001 Edge

Vehicle Specs

Mine is great, I love just about everthing about. the 4.0 Sohc team with 4:10 and a 5 speed stick is one dam quick truck. and A good exhust system will open up the engine a little more. The handling and smoothenes of this truck is unbelivable. If you did not see what you got into and where sittingin the passanger side seat you would nver guess that you where in a compact truck.
Oh yea a 3inch supension lift costs about 1500 not including labor. for these trucks

2001 Ford Ranger Edge, 4.0 SOHC 5 Speed stick, Super Cab. [color=dark-blue]Mods[/color] Flowmaster 40 Dual out the back, K&N FIPK gen II, James Duff Traction Bars, Bilsteins @ all corners, Shaved emblems, and antenna, Yangson Design Euro Tails, Clear Corners, PA 3 inch body lift, 16x8 MB Motoring Rocker's wrap with 285/75/16 Brigestone Dualer AT 693D, Low Profile Tonneau, Power Leather Bucket Seats, X half Length Center Console, painted interior, OHC!.. Sound System,4, 6x8 Kenwoods - Performance Teknique 4 channel amp. 2, 10 inch Kenwood subs - American Legacy 600w /2. Head unit cooling fan, cooling a Kenwood KDC 919, sirius satellite radio. Parts for Sale, X Full Length Center Console. Stock Bed Rails off my 01, PM me for info. Planned mods More sounds, Chrome knobs. My Website, More changes being made. Tech Articles have been added. For all North East Rangers Check out The Northern Alliance. For all your offroading neads ORR.
EdgeRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2001, 09:23 AM   #15
RON COX
Las Vegas, NV
'91 X, 4 dr. & 03 Ranger

Vehicle Specs

EdgeRanger, did you order you truck? I was looking at the Edge earlier this year and they told me Ford was not making 5-speeds anymore.

Old 08-02-2001, 03:01 PM   #16
EdgeRanger
Callicoon Center NY
2001 Edge

Vehicle Specs

No did not half to order it, I did half to travel a 100 miles to find it in a stick. I had dealers telling me that they did not make the sohc with a stick, but I found a dealer in San Diego that had about 10 sohc sticks on the lot.

www.mossyford.com

2001 Ford Ranger Edge, 4.0 SOHC 5 Speed stick, Super Cab. [color=dark-blue]Mods[/color] Flowmaster 40 Dual out the back, K&N FIPK gen II, James Duff Traction Bars, Bilsteins @ all corners, Shaved emblems, and antenna, Yangson Design Euro Tails, Clear Corners, PA 3 inch body lift, 16x8 MB Motoring Rocker's wrap with 285/75/16 Brigestone Dualer AT 693D, Low Profile Tonneau, Power Leather Bucket Seats, X half Length Center Console, painted interior, OHC!.. Sound System,4, 6x8 Kenwoods - Performance Teknique 4 channel amp. 2, 10 inch Kenwood subs - American Legacy 600w /2. Head unit cooling fan, cooling a Kenwood KDC 919, sirius satellite radio. Parts for Sale, X Full Length Center Console. Stock Bed Rails off my 01, PM me for info. Planned mods More sounds, Chrome knobs. My Website, More changes being made. Tech Articles have been added. For all North East Rangers Check out The Northern Alliance. For all your offroading neads ORR.
Old 08-02-2001, 08:52 PM   #17
RON COX
Las Vegas, NV
'91 X, 4 dr. & 03 Ranger

Vehicle Specs

Interesting,my dad lives on Coronado Island and one weekend I was down there we bounced around looking at trucks and Mossy told me no sticks, oh well. Is it a manual x-case too? That would be to cool.

Old 08-03-2001, 12:30 AM   #18
EdgeRanger
Callicoon Center NY
2001 Edge

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally posted by RON COX
Interesting,my dad lives on Coronado Island and one weekend I was down there we bounced around looking at trucks and Mossy told me no sticks, oh well. Is it a manual x-case too? That would be to cool.
Now thats weird. No its not a manual X-case, rumor is that is do out for 2002 called the fx4 package

Check out this thread from RF
http://www.rangerforum.com/showthrea...highlight=2002

Old 08-03-2001, 09:45 AM   #19
RON COX
Las Vegas, NV
'91 X, 4 dr. & 03 Ranger

Vehicle Specs

I read a thread on RRORC board earlier this year about the offroad package. Thanks for the update, I havn't seen any data since then. Can't wait!

Old 08-28-2001, 08:26 PM   #20
go off road
Elite Explorer
salt lake city, Utah
99 Heep TJ

Vehicle Specs

I have had my 2001 Ranger XLT 4X4 for a month now and wow this is a cool truck the gas milage is not very good in the city with my 4.10s but out on the road wow lots of power and it will stay in over drive and the milage is fine. It still has not seen a dirt road but this weekend it will, after CCR it will no longer be a VIRGIN LOL

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page