Radio Hot Lead

AppleWood

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Wylie, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
Good Morning All,
So, I'd like to be able to play radio without having the key on.

The fifteen-conductor connector to the radio has two red w/ black stripe wires - is one of these the one I want? If so, which one?

Any problem with splicing into the cigar lighter hot lead for this?

Thanks...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I went ahead and spliced into lighter 12V (and changed to 25A fuse) - and may live to regret it as the clock on the radio is now on constantly. Switched power turns out to be on the yellow/black stripe lead.

How long before this will run battery down?

To answer my own question - not long! Battery was almost dead day before yesterday morning but it did start the car.

Pulled radio out to change back to original switched 12V lead. Radio was very warm to the touch so obviously something more than just the LED's for clock was running!

The entire radio was on all night.

If you want to do something like this, your best bet is to wire in a switch to be able to turn it off.

Although I don't see why you'd want to have a radio that's on without the key.

Although I don't see why you'd want to have a radio that's on without the key.

My wife's Trailblazer LS does this. Very annoying. Turn the car off and the radio stays on until you open the door to exit. GM engineering I guess.

Yes, that's a GM thing. That's a feature almost all of them have. But why would you want it to be on without the keys?

Back