Next project vehicle? | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Next project vehicle?

I want a mid-size 4 door SUV to drive when my 2000 Sport is being modified. I was planning to purchase a 2000 4 door Explorer with the SOHC V6 to take advantage of what I've learned, spare parts and my SCT PCM programming software package. However, I realized that at my age my next project vehicle will probably be my last. I've always been partial to DOHC engines since I purchased a 1958 Jaguar XK-150 in 1965. A recent thread: '02 limited 4.0 to 4.6 dohc swap has captured my interest. I didn't know that the Aviator came with a DOHC V8 engine and was based on the 3rd generation Explorer. Since I don't like the looks of the Aviator front or the 500 lb weight disadvantage I've become very interested in swapping an Aviator engine into an Explorer. My long term objective would be a fairly quiet rear wheel drive 3rd Gen with a DOHC 4.6L V8 stroked to 5.0/5.1L and possibly forced induction.

I'm aware that the 2002 Explorer is probably the most complained about Explorer ever. Most of the complaints are associated with transmission failures. I could use some help researching which 3rd generation Explorer would be the best project vehicle.

I think the 5R55W and the 5R55S were possible transmissions. Were both used with the 4.6L? If so, is one more robust than the other?

Which transmission was installed in the Aviator with the DOHC 4.6L?

I've started another thread about the planned engine: DOHC 4.6L V8 build

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2002 vs 2003 4.6L V8?

Does anyone know the differences between a 2002 and a 2003 SOHC 4.6L V8? According to Ford's database the short blocks (2L2Z6006AARM), right heads (6W7Z6049A), left heads (6W7Z6049B), timing covers (2L2Z6019AA), left valve covers (F6AZ6582HA - discontinued), right valve covers (F6AZ6582JA - discontinued), harmonic balancers (1W7Z6312AA), oil pans (1L2Z6675BA), flexplates (1L2Z6375AA) have the same part numbers. The only difference I've found so far is the 2003 intake manifold (2L2Z9424AB) is not listed as fitting the 2002 engine.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I normally check craigslist several times throughout the day but Sunday I was involved with family things and then my wife and I went to a Christmas concert and to dinner after. When I finally got to the computer there was a black 2002 Explorer listed with RWD, and V8 with "going out oil pump" for $850. I called right away (9 pm) but it was already sold. I really want to find one that is still drivable so I can check out the transmission.

That sucks! $850 is a decent price, I paid $1300 for my donor truck. The engine ran, but the timing chain guides are gone and it kicked several followers off of the cam.

blown

I assume the above refers to the Aviator engine.

Is that NA or FI?

Thanks for the link to a very informative article. It indicates that the aluminum "WAP" block may be insufficient for forced induction. However, for my street application that may not be true. I mainly want the boost to simulate increased displacement for low/mid range torque increase.

From a cost standpoint I may be looking for a Mark VIII block. I missed a local Teksid short block for $100 because of not having done my research in time to want it before it was sold. The paired head inlet ports may be adequate for my driving and the Kenne Bell blower for the 1996 to 1998 Cobra may fit. It's not intercooled so boost can't go very high but I think the knock sensors can be retained. The 4.6L Cobra hits about 350 rwhp with 7 psi so a 5.0L should be around 380 rwhp.
Was looking at the same problem and
found whipple superchargers pricey but also have programer just saying oldrodder

Programming

I've already purchased another SCT X3 Power Flash for this project vehicle. Since I already have the SCT Advantage III Racer Pro software package I just need to add another strategy to my license and then I can do my own tuning.

I've already purchased another SCT X3 Power Flash for this project vehicle. Since I already have the SCT Advantage III Racer Pro software package I just need to add another strategy to my license and then I can do my own tuning.

I was told that that software package was tied to each vehicle just like the flasher. Meaning you have to pay for the same software for each vehicle(flasher). I didn't like to hear that. What have you heard about that Dale?

Strategy code

The Advantage III is licensed for a particular strategy. In my case for my Sport it is for CDE4. With that license I can generate a tune for any other vehicle with the same strategy. When I finally find a 2002 Explorer with the V8 I'll expand my license to include the appropriate strategy. I don't know what the additional cost is and won't until I know the strategy. One X3 will be dedicated to my Sport and the other X3 will be dedicated to my 2002. That way I can generate and load into the PCMs an unlimited number of tunes for each vehicle.

The Advantage III is licensed for a particular strategy. In my case for my Sport it is for CDE4. With that license I can generate a tune for any other vehicle with the same strategy. When I finally find a 2002 Explorer with the V8 I'll expand my license to include the appropriate strategy. I don't know what the additional cost is and won't until I know the strategy. One X3 will be dedicated to my Sport and the other X3 will be dedicated to my 2002. That way I can generate and load into the PCMs an unlimited number of tunes for each vehicle.

That's right, I forgot, it's the strategy each is tied to. Please let us know what it costs to expand the license to other strategies.

more answers 4.6?

Ok here I go again.
Now driving a cruiser P71 option great street trans shifts tight, engine is sohc and pulls hard
plus crown vics are cheap 1500 to maybe 2500. Some body with specs on the p71 option
chime in please.
Also eagle has a stroker kit that with a thirty over bore gets you to 5.1 L

oldrodder

2002 Eddie Bauer test drive

I've been looking for a 2002 or 2003 Explorer with RWD and the V8 in the local area for almost a year. Today I test drove a 2002 Eddie Bauer in good interior and exterior condition with 121K miles on the odometer.
2002EddieBauer.jpg

The only mechanical issue is a slight 2 > 3 upshift flair after the transmission is warmed up. No engine knocks so probably no spun bearings like on the Aviator engine I bought. Unfortunately, the seller can't let me buy the vehicle until he finds a suitable pickup truck to replace it. I'd like to get it in the next 43 days so I can reuse my Volvo Turbo Wagon tag. For a V8 I was surprised at how sluggish it was for normal acceleration from a stop. But then it's heavier than my Sport, the A/C was running, and it doesn't have a supercharger to assist low end torque. The head gaskets were replaced a year ago and the heads resurfaced. The transmission was rebuilt by a national franchised shop 3 years ago. Since it's going to cost me $3500 I'll drive it as it is for a while before pulling the engine. During that time I'll try to understand the cooling system and determine how to modify it for the DOHC heads. I doubt there's enough room to install the DOHC heads with the block in the engine compartment. The heads won't help low end torque so I know I won't be satisfied until there's a blower on the engine.

That trans flare is more than likely a worn servo pin bore in the case. It's very common on this trans. Most rebuilders have a repair kit to install brass sleeves, but the trans has to be completely torn down to do it. There are 2 bores that wear out. The 3rd gear band/ intermediate band and the 2nd/5th gear band/ overdrive band. if I were you, I would just drive it until you do the swap, then get it rebuilt. It's going to probably need some upgrades with the new power anyway. My old explorer didn't have 3rd gear at all when I bought it, the band had completely broke. It was common on the 2002 explorer also. I drove it for 6 months like that.

worn servo pin bore

What do you think about the following as an interim fix until I get the transmission beefed up? 5R55W, 5R55S, 5R55N, 5R55E Servo Bore Transmission Fix.
Do you have a suggested source for a kit to allow the trans to reliably handle 400 to 450 rwhp when it gets rebuilt? How about a suggested torque converter for street driving (no racing at a drag strip)?

not the white Eddie Bauer

Well the guy that was going to sell me the 2002 white Eddie Bauer notified me today that he's decided to keep it and fix the transmission so he can sell it for more to buy the truck he wants. I suppose its good that I didn't get it since I've learned that the early 2002 has different rods than my 2003 Aviator. Hopefully I won't have to wait another year before a local RWD becomes available.

There will probably be some flooded units available soon near you.

flood damaged vehicles

There will probably be some flooded units available soon near you.

Sad but true. We were lucky in Greenville because it is in the foothills with good drainage. I've already seen vehicles listed for sale as no flood damage. By the way, I'm scheduled to look at a 2003 Limited this evening with no problems other than having 180K miles on the odometer. It is a one owner all black (bumpers and body) with sunroof and 3rd row seating for $3,400. I told the guy on the phone if it is actually as he described I'd buy it. Funny how things change.

Have you considered the Aviator since you started hunting for the truck? I'd rather have the Lincoln if it'd be feasible. A spare engine is a good thing.

I see, I understand that, the tastes we have are all different.

I like the Aviator enough to have one, but I don't like a large number of the Fords from 10+ years ago. I love the back end of the new MKZ, but the front of it is awful. I'd buy the Fusion gladly versus the MKZ, though they are almost the same cars.

Finally got one

So I agreed to buy the 2003 Limited. I just have to wait for the young lady (seller) to get her dad to send the title from Charleston. The vehicle was purchased new in Greenville by her dad as her high school graduation gift. I rather like the color scheme with the bumpers and body matching black.
03Front.jpg

There's a very small parking lot ding in the driver side door. I didn't see any others.
03LeftSide.jpg

17 inch wheels (even a matching spare) with new tires and brakes last year.
The rear hatch has the common failure.
03Rear.jpg

It has the towing package but she said she's never towed anything. I get to keep the bar & ball.
The driver seat is in very good condition for 180K miles.
03LeftFrontInside.jpg

She said she always kept her car clean and it shows (seats, carpet, etc.).
03Cargo.jpg

It has 3rd row seating.
The underside of the vehicle testifies to the advantage of spending its entire life in Greenville.
03NoRust.jpg

I didn't see any significant rust anywhere.

The only mechanical failure she remembers is the overdrive quit working and it was fixed by installing a new shift solenoid. I drove in all of the gear selections available checking for engine braking, upshift flares, and downshifts and detected no problems. Engine was quiet and smooth at idle, acceleration and cruise. It has the 3.55:1 conventional differential which is a candidate for upgrade to 3.73:1 limited slip. The only complaint I have is there is only one key and fob but I'll gladly pay the local PATS qualified locksmith for two more keys. There's a chance I can get the vehicle before I leave town next week. I'm pretty excited about the deal and almost hesitant to tear into the engine. I'll find some things to do on my Sport while I get used to the Limited.

Congrats Dale, it likes very nice.

Back