Prerunner/weekend toy Explorer | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Prerunner/weekend toy Explorer

I have a thread up in modified 95-01 Explorers, but since mine is mainly off-road I figured it would be more suitable to have a thread in here.

What I am working with

97 2wd Explorer 4 door with 5.0L V-8

Front suspension: 14" Wheel travel

Modified LCA to accept a 1" uniball as the outer pivot then boxed in accordingly. Custom UCA with 7/8" heim as outter pivot and 3/4" heim on frame pivots. Fabtech lift spindle tapped out for the heim and drilled knuckle for a 7/8" on the outter tie rod as well. Fox twin tube bypass shocks as well as a 2.0 body air shock per side assist the stock torsions with spring rate. Fox hydraulic bump stop off of the UCA

Rear suspension: 18" wheel travel

62" race leaf springs by Deaver with custom 12" long shackles. 18x2.5 triple bypasses by Fox though the wheel wells.

Other:

Baker 8" front fenders with FIberwerx 8 " fiber glass rear panels. Front and rear bumpers with a 2" rollcage threaded throughout still in the making. Fullsize axle out back with 4.56 gears and a L/S. 35x12.50 BFG Baja TAs and some Pro comp rims to hit the ground running.

IMG_9282.jpg

bakerfenders3.jpg

IMG_9074.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

airshocks2-1.jpg

airshocks-1.jpg

0814091447.jpg

P9070155-1.jpg

0814091446.jpg

1022091859.jpg

1016091122.jpg

1214092118.jpg

1218092256.jpg

1217092038.jpg

1217092037.jpg

1219091420a.jpg

1219091120a.jpg

IMG_9255.jpg

0417001332.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

octwell_map.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry updates are so long overdue, work for me has been nuts over the last year. The truck sits on its own weight now. We're finishing up door bars, seat mounts and the rear bumper. Then the truck goes in to get the rear paneled up.

Yea mounty we chopped the frame off right at the front doors so a little more than say a ranger back half. The idea was to narrow the chassis to an advantage for shock mounts/location off the trailing arms and to widen the rear in order to accommodate a wider yet shallower fuel cell to keep it low for COG. My guy lengthened the wheelbase almost an additional 3 inches so it sits just over 119" WB

The arms were one off custom made and all tig welded by a friend of mine and is strapped at 19.5" of travel

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Heres a couple pics from a few weeks ago

image_zpsgbehaaxa.jpg

image_zpsmugjakvo.jpg

image_zpsjfcapbqd.jpg

image_zpstoe1oiul.jpg

new wheels and tires

image_zpsckbdsvro.jpg

do you still have the leaf springs? im looking to buy some

Not anymore, got rid of the 62's s while back

It'll be out in the desert Halloween!

It'll be out in glamis Halloween weekend!

My updates have been slow due to life being so busy but im close. Plumb fuel cell mount seats relocate factory door locks and window controls and panel the rear.

ride height, 13 inches of bump left at ride height

image_zpssmfyb9im.jpg

droop, cycles 30.5 inches with shocks

image_zpsmcsvfhqn.jpg

Bump

image_zpsrqt747uy.jpg

What have you done to the steering besides bigger tie rods and a different power steering pump?

What have you done to the steering besides bigger tie rods and a different power steering pump?

All heim pivots and elevated the rack via fabricated spacers, 3/8" to tune out as much bump steer as possible. In 20.5" of travel the front gets less than 1/2" of bump steer but after my guy installs my new hubs he'll be able to tune the KPI a little more precise to eliminate bump steer all together.

If you're asking about the rack itself...it's a factory rack with the -AN fittings tig welded on to eliminate o-ring failures due to the HP line exceeding 1600 psi due to hydro boost is all that has been done

oh ok cool. Im building mine very similar to yours so ive been going through this post a lot to figure out what you have done. Wish i could make it out to glamis this weekend. Really want to check this thing out in person to take some notes while im building mine.

drivers side front suspension

Was wondering if you could post some more pictures of the drivers side front suspension. im trying to figure out how to stuff my 12" coilovers up there. the master cylinder looks like its going to be right in the way so id like to know how you got around that. Right now im seeing my only option is to remove it and go with a different brake setup.

Got a little more work done on the explorer. Chassis is almost done. Couple plates here and there to finish up these bump stop mounts. Got the seats mounted and the door bars tacked in and the trans dropped to go through it.

image_zpsvkoeaw1h.jpg

Was wondering if you could post some more pictures of the drivers side front suspension. im trying to figure out how to stuff my 12" coilovers up there. the master cylinder looks like its going to be right in the way so id like to know how you got around that. Right now im seeing my only option is to remove it and go with a different brake setup.

We ditched my factory booster and master and relocated a hydro boost set up behind my dash sideways on a rocker arm pictured here.

image_zpsguskdwqw.jpg

I have a 12" coil over and bypass stuffed in there pictured below

2012-08-18_14-02-20_209.jpg

Here's a pic showing from up top before it was even done

image_zpsiskycay8.jpg

As you can see it's a tight fit

image_zps7cnsavu8.jpg

image_zpsob0wzfsk.jpg

wow so you had to change quite a bit. Thats a pretty expensive setup.. I'll have to figure out a different way to do it. i bought 12's thinking i could make it work but i think ill have to just get 10's cause they will fit in there with stock brakes. im getting the BTF kit which will give me 17" of travel with 10's. Having a hard time finding some used 10's.

wow so you had to change quite a bit. Thats a pretty expensive setup.. I'll have to figure out a different way to do it. i bought 12's thinking i could make it work but i think ill have to just get 10's cause they will fit in there with stock brakes. im getting the BTF kit which will give me 17" of travel with 10's. Having a hard time finding some used 10's.

It really wasn't that expensive but all the -AN fitting and stainless hose does add up pretty quick I guess. I cycle 20" with 12's

Got into some paneling to close off the shocks/fuel cell from the ****pit area.

image_zpszvgkkibe.jpg

Got the fuel cell strapped down and set the spare in there. Fits like a glove.

image_zpsxc2ywq4i.jpg

Back