supercharged 5.0 true fire 98 explorer sport | Page 87 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

supercharged 5.0 true fire 98 explorer sport

hi everyone, my name is tim . i live in selkirk, manitoba, canada and as if this date that i am posting this, i am 36 years old.

i bought my sport in jan 05 from a local ford dealer. it had 111,000KM's on it. this is the second sport i have owned. it was sitting on the lot for about 8 months before i came along. i am the third owner (i was able to track down the person that traded it in, and they got it from a friend, who bought it new in 98).

i started to do a few things to it after i first got it, then i found this site, and all hell broke lose! i've never been satisfied with something the everyone else has, so i started to tinker with it even more.

19_Medium_.jpg

15540626_10154060266577513_2405619719549828739_o.jpg

14242313_10153799452207513_5208987697549996496_o.jpg

50213558658671_547488670_7421875_7068292_n_Medium_.jpg

15_Medium_.jpg

evil_and_min_evil.jpg

DSC01337_Medium_.jpg

DSC01341_Medium_.jpg

DSC02874_Medium_.jpg

10660988_10152352316047513_1588917598_n.jpg

m122b.jpg

981349_256309931177894_674155846_o_1_Medium_.jpg

DSC04422_Medium_.jpg

mods include

interior

installed factory tilt, cruise, overhead console, auto dimming mirror, full length console, with a message center (it didn't have these from factory).

white face with blue flames indigo gauge covers (they light up blue)
blue l.e.d. everything
white l.e.d. interior lights
Kenwood DDX392 Touch Screen Head Unit
alpine 4 channel amp (all four speakers)
boston acoustic front and rear speakers
alpine mono amp (for sub)
2 12 inch jl audio subs
rockford fosgate cap
passenger side one touch window down mod.
custom transfer case shifter
tripple a pillar gauge pod, housing autometer boost, Innovate LC-1 wideband, and oil pressure gauge
12v power inverter with 120v plug in a 2 usb plugs built into the center console

exterior

BMW E46 projectors, mounted into stock housings using clear lens
6000K HID head lights
angel eye "driving" lights, with 8000k h.i.d.'s
clear parking/corner lights
billet grill (powder coated by Turdle)
blacked out ford emblems
custom front steel 95-98 bumper, with 4 inch round tubes welded in for driving lights
shaved radio antenna
shaved roof rack
black euro tall lights
l.e.d. license plate lights
smoked out 3rd break light
lund rear tailgate spoiler/wing (formally from the truck "blackjack" owned by EF member Spas)
hand made roll pan (made from 3 1/2 rear bumpers, with 1/4 inch diamond plate on the top, and it is removable)
aluminum T/A differential griddle/cover (powder coated by Turdle)
Motegi Mr107 20' rims
goodyear wrangler hp p245/50 r20
1 1/4 wheel spacer in the rear, 3/8 in front
and most noticeable, black with blue pearl paint, and blue true fire (ground effects are black with blue pearl as well)

Suspension

2 inch lowering blocks in the rear, reverse TT in the front (2 inch as well)
Explorer Express rear sway bar
4 door leaf springs
rancho rs9000 adjustable rear shocks
03-05 sport trac spindles with drilled and slotted rotors

performance

5L swap
347 stroker
TFS twisted wedge alum heads
comp gold 1.6 rockers
comp cams CCA-35-556-8 nitro cam
heavily modified edelbrock victor jr air gap intake (which serves as a valley pan now)
eaton m122 supercharger (metco 2.70 pulley, and ASP 8 rib 7 1/4 crank pulley) with custom made mount with bell intercooler core
8 rib serpentine belt conversion using pulleys from a 7.3 powerstroke
custom made 3 1/2 inch throttle body elbow
accufab 75mm throttle body
4 inch intake pipe
PMASS MH90 90mm Universal 3000 KG/HR MAF
amsoil cone filter
F.A.S.T. 60lb injectors
edelbrock fuel rails, trick flow specialties fuel pressure regulator with summit racing fuel pressure gauge
walbro 255lph fuel pump
1/2 inch steel braided fuel pressure line from tank to rail using 8AN fittings
torque monster headers
2 1/2 duel pipes with flowpro duel in and out 2 1/2 single muffler
accel extreme 9000 ceramic 45 degree plug wires with boot protectors
4R70W w/2600 stall with J mod
tuff stuff 200a alternator
tuning made possible with sct pro-racer package, and tuned with major help from member [MENTION=102869]Dono[/MENTION] and [MENTION=81804]4pointslow[/MENTION]
flex a lite duel 12 inch electric fans
big 3 upgrade (4 gauge wires)
meziere innercooler water pump
2 froozenboost innercooler rads

Transfer case

4406 manual shift from a 97 F150
modified stock trans cross member to accept 93 mustang 5L polyurethane tans mount
double cardan rear drive shaft

because of all the "fun" i had doing the bodywork, and some other things to my truck, i have nick named it "evil dora" or if you like, just plane "evil"!
and now the thank yous

my buddy gord leiss, who let this thing sit in his garage for 3 months while i did the body work to it. he also gave me a hand with some of the prep work, and painted it for me

kevin willson for doing the true fire http://affordableairbrushing.ca/

Joe Bukoski for letting me do the 5L/4406 swap in his garage

now people from this site, weather they knew it or not, they helped

BIG THANKS to tara a.k.a. explorersport77 for pictures of her truck. wouldn't been able to build the roll pan with out them!

ExplorerSport77's X "Hotness"

jon a.k.a. Turdle for selling me some real swanky rear shackles, as well as powder coating the diff cover and sending them up to canada. as well as much needed info on v8, and 4406 swaps as well as doing the grill and showing me how its done.

don aka dono for the help with the tuning, and wideband, as well as the supercharger

andy aka ahodges for some parts, and any help i needed for all the go faster goodies

5.0 swap - w/ 4406

jad2411 for finding me a link for my hidden antenna

ryan a.k.a. MustangP51 for doing his write up on making l.e.d.'s for interior lights, and how to make projectors

P51's HID Headlight (Projector) and Fog Conversion (PICS)

and N3ELZ cardomain page for L.E.D. switch and cruise pod mods

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-6
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-12
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/296394/2002-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-23

bob a.k.a. rwenzing for showing me speedhut's sit for the gauges

Gauges, Custom Gauges, Tachometers, Speedometers, Shift Light, Pod

Buzz4x4 for his write up on blacking out ford emblems

How to Make Your Own Custom Ford Emblems

the late aldive for his write up on one touch down passengers window mod

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141027&highlight=touch+passengers+window+mod

BIG COUNTRY, for his write up on how to install a auto dimming mirror

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=84968

BIG COUNTRY, 98formulaLS1, and Ryon40 for there write ups on how to install a message center

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225017&highlight=BIG+COUNTRY
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80670&highlight=message+center
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245085&highlight=Ryon40

MountaineerGreen for his 4406 swap write up and "Custom" Driveshaft for a 4406 and 4" Superlift on the Cheap " (even tho its lowered

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166726&highlight=awd+4x4+swap
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185232

Simon, aka blueka for his "pickle" thread, and help anytime i picked the phone up the phone on the 5L swap

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271813

Jon, aka 4pointslow for any MAJOR technical advice i have needed

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219092

i wish i could find who did the write up on the overhead console install, but here is the link

http://www.explorer4x4.com/overhead.htm

Russ aka NICE59FORDF100 for his help on the wiring, and what to watch out for electronically.

hopefully one day, i will be able to help people on here just as much as the people that i have mentioned above!

picture.php

plus you know you have done something right when.....

your truck (as well as corkey) wins truck of the month

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=296023

is the feature truck on the fun hump day radio show (starts roughly around the 30 min mark)

http://explorerforum.podbean.com/2011/03/23/19-vroom-zoomboom/

and you drive 26 hours ONE WAY to the carlisle all ford nationals in june 2010 and 2011, and grab second place in the s.u.v. all category!

scan00012.jpg

then in 2014 you go back to the same show you have been to 5 years in a row (nothing by most, but its one hell of a long drive) and take first!

scan00014.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The fuel filter is serviceable so you can change the elements in it. when I called summit to find all of my part numbers I asked for a filter that had connections on both ends rather than the one Andy used which connects from the front and the side . It will filter to 10 microns as well . For how long it lasts I also asked the guy at Summit about that his answer was a very honest one it all depends on how crappy the gas is in your area, which is the truth

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Thanks, every time we change a fuel filter you wonder how it got so dirty. I change mine it seems like about every 2-3 years(under 15k), and that isn't really enough. An easier to change filter would be nice. I hope that one is the hot ticket.

got the wiring done today. wasnt too bad. took a few hours doing it at a relaxed pace.

block to body wire

DSC03362.JPG

DSC03372.JPG

block to battery ground

DSC03364.JPG

mega fuse on the power distribution box to positive battery

DSC03366.JPG

DSC03370.JPG

and alt to mega fuse

DSC03365.JPG

was able to squeeze the factory bolt cover over the new wire

DSC03367.JPG

DSC03368.JPG

the new batter clamps came off my buddys 02 grand prix that we sent to the shredder last week. he had a pretty good size stereo in it, but took some of the stuff off and thats where the clamps came from. however my old clamps had about 5 other wires going to them, and i had no place to put them now because they wouldnt reach. so i bolted them on the posts where the mega fuse is (and if i am calling that the wrong name someone correct me please).

DSC03369.JPG

all the wire is 4 gauge. it looked bigger then the stock wire. i know what your going to say. its the plastic the wires are covered in. thats what make them look bigger. no. when i stripped them back, the new stuff looked bigger.

started it up. no problems, and more important, NO FIRES! i will take it for a drive tomorrow and pray this works.
i was also told if i havent put it down already, evil is booked for aug. 20th for the dyno tune. i hope that doesnt change. i am running out of days the track up here will be open.

oh, and one other thing i forgot to mention yesterday.

if your ever in the market for a cordless 1/2 inch impact, look no further.

DSC03374.JPG

i borrowed this from a buddy when i had to drop the tank down. its got balls i tell you. not only does it have the power to strip the bolts on the tank strap, but it also has the power to shear the bolt in two on your modified front tank mount causing you to spend 2 hours getting the bolt out, and for you to lay in a woodtick infested field to get a bolt from one of your parts truck. if i had the money (he said they are not cheap) i would be getting one of these. he had said there hasnt been one bolt he could get out with it, and some of them his air impact couldnt touch, and he has snap on air impacts.

Looking dyno ready! I'll be interested to see if the larger wires help.

I'll be interested to see if the larger wires help.

so was i.....until i did a datalog and looked at it....didnt do ****. im at a loss here. i have had 2 different alts on it (both tested fine) 3 different pulleys, battery tests fine, better ground wires.....what am i missing!!!
i doubt the belt is slipping, because its new and so is the belt tensioner. went i have gone to the smaller alt pulley, i have changed one of my idler pulleys to take up any slack there might be. that and getting the belt on you almost have to force it on as well. thats how tight it is.

I thought the idea of changing the alternator pulley ws to get more spin out of it.

A larger pulley will slow it down.

Also, just out of curiosity, I wonder if the voltage drop happens when the fuel pump kicks it's guts in. Is there a way to data log the fuel pump cycling to see if anything coincides with the voltage drop?

I think the PCM does this to prevent overvoltage to the pump, but I might be wrong. Also, it could be that the PCM requires a regulated 12v to maintain accurate data and an accurate 0v reference.

I do know there are aftermarket fuel pump drivers which ramp the voltage up to fuel pumps according to demand. Just throwing this out there.

I do know there are aftermarket fuel pump drivers which ramp the voltage up to fuel pumps according to demand. Just throwing this out there.

That's how the 1999+ Fords handle the fuel pumps, with varying the power/voltage. The pre-99's should be running virtually the same current at any rpm.

I would also include the frame in the electrical circuit, just for any added items that do or could go to the frame near the back(stereo etc). I've got a wire on my 99 leading to the frame from the front main radiator support ground, and one at my left rear for the air compressor I put in. That was the 30amp load I originally did it for, but I think it's helpful for the starter circuit too.

the reason why i put a bigger alt pulley was to slow it down. the reason why i wanted to slow it down was the crank pulley that is on it is a inch in diameter larger then the stock one. i didnt want to spinning too fast because what my thought is it would wear the bearings out faster as well as overheat it. i dont know, or think you can log just the fuel pump, but i could be wrong. if there is a way, i dont know how to go about doing it. i also dont know how hard the meth pump is on the system. i dont want to unplug it either and go for a WOT. that is the only thing saving me right now from detonation.

if i sound like a grumpy fart, im not but please explain how that would effect voltage? i know when 4pointslow was looking at some of my data logs, he had said the voltage wasnt pegged the way it should be at WOT. i know andy and myself both have the same tps (bbk, and if i am wrong, correct me andy) and 4pointslow said both voltage and tps voltage were less the desired

ECM reads the TPS voltage, and sends voltage out accordingly. TPS sends the signal From 1.5v to 5v. If the voltage signal is low, I was thinking it would affect other items such as spark or fuel delivery.

I'm just reaching here with that guess mind you. You asked for something missed, and this is what popped into my peanut brain. Thus the :dunno: lol

Yes, I have a BBK as well. I am using the TPS that came with the throttle body. You are right that 4pointslow said both things were the case on our datalogs. I know from having a friend help hold the gas pedal down that the butterfly on the throttle body was as far open as possible on mine. My voltage at it's lowest was about 1/2 volt higher than yours. With all that being the case, mine dyno'd fine and nothing was said about low voltage when I had mine tuned.

Charging indicator?

Does the charging indicator (looks like a battery) illuminate when the ignition is On but the engine not running? Does it go out when the engine is idling? What is the voltage across the battery posts with the engine off and with the engine idling? The charging circuit wiring is fairly simple but the voltage regulator may not be.
ChargingDiag1998.jpg

If you've replaced the stock charging indicator with an aftermarket LED it may affect the charging function. When I started my engine without the instrument cluster the alternator did not charge the battery.

Is the new power wiring stranded 100% copper, copper tinned or aluminum? 4 gauge wire is not that large but should be adequate. I used stranded 100% copper, 0 gauge from the alternator to the battery junction box, to the battery positive post and from the battery negative post to ground. I reused the battery to starter wire which I think is 4 gauge.

mega fuse & inline fuse

Some members add another wire with an inline fuse from the alternator positive terminal to the battery positive terminal instead of upgrading the stock wire from the alternator to the battery junction box. The diodes in the alternator can fail in shorted mode. The function of the mega fuse and the inline fuse (if installed) is to prevent a fire hazard in the event of shorted alternator diodes. I replaced my stock 175 amp mega fuse with a slow blow 250 amp mega fuse. That way I have fire protection if the diodes short and if the battery is dead and the alternator charges it with the rated 240 amps the mega fuse won't blow.

My simple minded opinion is that it isn't too much current draw causing the low voltage.
Something else is going on here that seems to have become even more pronounced in Evil.

Looking at the schematic, it does seem very odd that the voltage drops on all our v8's at wot. It would be cool to come up with a simple amp meter and stick it in line off the positive cable off the alternator to see what kind of current draw happens. I find it really hard to believe the ignition draws enough juice to cause a voltage drop in our trucks. Assuming the alternator is able to create close to 130 amps, at wot there should be no issue.

As 4pointslow suggested, if there was a charge system connection to the pcm, it could be plausible that the alternator would be turned off under wot to free up horsepower. Again, the schematic doesn't support that theory. We do know the air conditioning pump shuts its self off, but can clearly see why in air conditioning schematic.

It would seem the alternator does shut off under wot though. Can we prove, or disprove this? I wonder what the data log would look like with the alternator charge cable off and a wot pull done immediately during the day without the headlights on? I wish I had a amp meter that went past 10 amps. Then we could easily see whats happening. As Tim said, the only thing that turns on under wot that's different is the meth pump. The alternator should easily be able to handle this if the charging cct is working. How could the alternator be told to shut off under wot?

edit: I really think theres more going on than the schematic shows. How is it that 2000Streetrod didn't have his charging system working with his cluster unplugged? Im sitting here scratching my head.

Fan

Two of things that changed are the electric fan and water methanol pump.
If the fan controller is not pulse width modulated it will draw tons of current when it is on.

Since all three of the 5.0 explorer vehicles we are looking at drop down then you would think it is normal to drop down. But how much is normal and what is controlling that drop. Maybe the regulator, but based off of what? Voltage, temperature? Who knows? The PCM does not control the charging voltage on these vehicles, I checked the wiring diagrams. So if Dono's and Ahodges are normal drop off's then what was causing Tim's to be lower than them. Maybe the fan controller or water methanol pump? (and the pulley size making it worse)

If I recall Dono uses a pulse width modulated fan controller, do you have water methanol installed on the 5.0?

Ahodges, do you have an electric fan and if so what kind of controller? Do you have water methanol?

Both of you have 347"s now what size pulley's do you have, alternator and crank?

Tim, what is the CCA's of your battery, not the rating on the battery but the measurement of it. That has to be done with a tester(shop equipment not person) that has that capability. Also what is the alternator output in amps when the vehicle's charging system is put under load with the same tester. That could be done at different rpm's as well.

Another test is voltage drop, with the engine cranking. You put both leads on the same circuit at different points. On the ground side one would be on battery negative and the other on the bolts of the starter, crank it and see what the voltage reading is at the same time. Voltage drop is supposed to be .5 or less when the circuit is under load (on)(cranking). On the power side you would go from battery positive to the positive battery post at the starter, check voltage while cranking the engine over. Again .5 or less is desired.

These voltage drop tests can be modified to test other circuits as well. For a dim headlight you would go from the headlight ground to battery negative and from headlight positive to battery positive with the headlights on of course. Voltage should not drop more than .5
If it does than there is high resistance in the circuit due to corrosion or the wire size not being large enough etc.

exciter voltage & remote sense

. . . edit: I really think theres more going on than the schematic shows. How is it that 2000Streetrod didn't have his charging system working with his cluster unplugged? Im sitting here scratching my head.

The alternator needs an exciter current flowing thru the coils before it will generate any current. The path for the exciter current is:

battery > fuse 15 > charging indicator > alt terminal I

The 470 ohm resistor in parallel with the charging indicator allows current to flow if the bulb is burned out.

The output voltage of an alternator with no voltage regulator (VR) will continue to increase as rpm increases until the max voltage is reached (typically around 16 volts) at around 8K to 10K alternator rpm. Most alternators spin about 3 times engine speed. Our Explorer alternators have a remote sensing voltage regulator which in my opinion is the best configuration available. The solid state controller in the voltage regulator has a voltage reference (typically about 14 volts) that is compared to the remote sensed voltage. If the sensed voltage is less than 14 volts the VR will increase the output voltage. If the sensed voltage is greater than 14 volts the VR will decrease the output voltage. The path for the remote sensed voltage is:

mega fuse/alt B+ junction (Pwr Dist box) > Alt Sys Fuse > alt terminal A

14 volts is picked as a reference because a charged battery has a potential of about 12.6 volts. A higher voltage is required to keep the battery charged and make sure that load requirements (electric fan, etc.) is provided by the alternator instead of the battery. I assume the sense wire is routed to the power distribution box because that is considered the main bus for the vehicle power. However, the farther the load is from the Pwr Dist Box the lower the voltage will be at the load. Electric motors (fans, fuel pump, intercooler pump, etc.) are typically the greatest load in the vehicle. Often these motors get current thru marginal sized wires increasing the voltage drop to each device. Most high performance fuel pump manufacturers recommend increasing the wire size to the fuel pump to reduce voltage drop in the wires. The remote sense is distant from the local voltages at the motors and does not "recognize" the need to increase the alternator output voltage.

The PCM receives power from the PCM power relay and monitors the voltage at VPWR pin on the PCM connector. The PCM reference is chassis ground provided by the stud bolt/ground wire at the firewall next to the PCM connector (green arrow below).
PCM1.JPG

I suggest checking the ground wire and stud bolt for a good connection to chassis ground so the PCM will have a good reference. By the way, James Henson hates to tune a vehicle with an unstable power source because it complicates the injection tuning and makes the PCM less reliable.

An interesting test would be to measure the voltage to chassis ground at the radiator fan motor. If it is significantly less than the remote sense voltage then the wire to the fan motor should be increased or the remote sensor could be moved closer to the fan motor.

I suspect that in my case at 3,000 engine rpm the output of the alternator as sensed by the VR exceeds 14 volts and the VR reduces the output voltage. It will be interesting to log another run with the intercooler heat exchanger fan running when activated by the Hobbs switch at 1 psi boost.

Ah. thanks Dale, I see it now. The lt Grn/Red is actually an input rather than an output on pin 1.
As you say, the ground reference could make a huge difference in how the regulator behaves. Since we have 3 x Explorer 5.0's showing symptoms of the same voltage drop to varying degree's It would seemingly be a design thing going on.

I just don't understand how the voltage regulator isn't keeping the voltage up.

4pointslow, on my log all that I have different from factory of any significance is my efan using pulse width modulation. If anything, there is less current draw normally as I don't use my actual headlights fro DRL's. Tim doesn't use his headlights for this either.

Why on earth would the factory want to lower the voltage at wot? I can't help but think its a voltage regulator thing, but Tim has tried a couple of whole alternators already.

edit: What would it take to bypass the internal voltage regulator and try an external one?
edit2: Everyone seems to upgrade to our 4g alternators and loose the external regulator. The best I could find was guys adding an external rectifier that they add to the internal rectifier.
http://alternatorparts.com/quicktifier-external-bridge-rectifier.html
This lead me to a simple 200 amp 3 phase rectifier:
http://www.mouser.com/Semiconductor...Bridge-Rectifiers/_/N-ax1mf?P=1yzv2q0Z1z0w4pf

I'm just not sure if its worth the effort, and doubt it would help with the current issue we have under wot condition.

I do have dual electric fans controlled by a painless dual fan controller. I do not have a methanol kit. 347 yes, max RPMs 6,100, stock sized crank pulley and stock alternator pulley. 130 amp alternator. My fans are set to not come on when the ground speed is over 45mph. I have a yellow top 65 series Optima battery in mine, but do not currently know the true CCAs.

for what this info is worth, i will post it. i went for a ride to a buddy's place who is about 10-15 mins away and did a voltage reading on some of the stuff. at rest (both before i left, truck sat overnight, and when i drove it to buddys house) i have a reading of 12.3 volts. now i wanted to see what it was doing when cranking, but couldnt because the hot side of the starter is way up top with a cap on it, right beside skin melting hot headers so we did a reading at the battery when cranking. it was 10.8 volts. with the truck warm and idling no matter where we took a reading it was at 13.8 volts and that was with the stereo on, but not pounding and the fans running as well. looks like the only thing that i shouldnt do is go WOT.....yea, right. like thats going to happen lol. i will see if i can take the truck back to the place that tested the alt and battery off the truck and see if they can test the charging system with everything intact.
don also gave me a link from another forum where it sounded like the guy had the same problem, but the solution is far from cheap http://www.modularfords.com/content/224-Nation-Auto-Electric-Alternator-Review?page=2
also, and as much as i hate saying this, looks like the dyno may be pushed back again....the shop thats doing it for me (and i am glad he is honest about it) had told me today the only thing they might be able to do is a remote tune. he's not really thrilled about it, neither am i for that matter. he would like to wait until the original guy he wants to do it is back from drag week (if he makes it there for that matter) but once again that might be in the middle of sept. but i know the guy is real good, i used to read about him in muscle mustangs and fast fords back in the day, he would be sitting there seeing and hearing what the truck is doing.

Back