98 Explorer 4.0 OHV engine swap from a 96 4.0 OHV? Will it work? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 Explorer 4.0 OHV engine swap from a 96 4.0 OHV? Will it work?

FLSnake

Reaction score
City, State
Bradenton, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
I have a 98 Explorer 4.0 OHV V6 with a bad engine (lower end),

I have a donor vehicle, 96 Explorer 4.0 OHV V6.

I see some slight differences in the wiring harness from a quick visual inspection but the core engine looks the same.

Will they interchange? I have been told that 96/97 are the same and that 98-01 are the same?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Worst case scenario, you have to swap tranny engine and wiring harness. I know only issue with the same engine being swapped with a newer version, is how the transmission is controlled by the computer.

Ok lets clear this up a little. Your title says that you currently have a SOHC V6 and you want to swap it for a OHV V6 is this correct?

His thread title says SOHC that's right... I was going off the post, both are labeled OHV...

I think he hit c instead of v on the keyboard, they are next to eachother. There is no S infront of the ohc.

Sorry, was a typo in the title, they are both OHV engines, I edited the title to correct

In that case it would be a simple change over. I would take out the engine and wiring harness only leaving the gear box and aircon compressor in place. I would take the new wiring harness with the new engine and plug it strait into the rectangle plug in the firewall, that way you don't have to worry about different types of connectors for the same componants on the replacement engine.

Should be a nice easy job, Enjoy ;)

Ah, I think that there might be a slight problem with this swap from the flex-plate side.

The 1990~1996 4.0 used a 6 bolt flywheel/flex-plate and the 1997~up 4.0 uses an 8 bolt flywheel/flex-plate. This can pose a problem from the converter side.

I think that it would be best if you obtain an 1997-up 4.0 for this swap it would be easier.

Ah, I think that there might be a slight problem with this swap from the flex-plate side.

The 1990~1996 4.0 used a 6 bolt flywheel/flex-plate and the 1997~up 4.0 uses an 8 bolt flywheel/flex-plate. This can pose a problem from the converter side.

I think that it would be best if you obtain an 1997-up 4.0 for this swap it would be easier.

Thats no big deal, as long as they are both autos (or both manuals). They only difference in the flywheel/flexplate is the number of bolts that attaches it to the crank. The flywheel attachment points are the same.

Just keep the flywheel/flexplate on the engine it came with.

Back