• Register Today It's free!

Squeaky fan belt

X-Man

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
92" XLT
When the fan belt starts to squeak does the mean it's time to change it? I squirted some wd40 on it and it stop and a week or so it returns. What should I do change it or keep putting the wd40?

Thanks - X-Man

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

More like you need a new belt tensioner, quick before it lets go and leaves you stranded.

Okay so now your next post is gonna say "where/what is the belt tensioner?"

try doing a search for belt tenshioner and you can spend you evening reading through the info.

A visual inspection of the serpentine belt will tellyou if it needs to be replaced. Does it hace cracks all over it? Are the edges worn out? Look at the side that rides on the pulleys.

Also if you are gonna replace the tensioner, you mine as well replace the belt. Keep your old belt as a backup spare.......

What does a belt tensioner cost? any ideal

Thanks

About $60-$80. Go to NAPA and buy one, make sure they sell one that has the "updated" design. You see your stock one rides on a crappy bushing, the new ones all use a sealed bearing. It will last 10x's as long and run smoother and quieter.....

takes about 30 minutes to install with simple hand tools (in fact the only thing you really need is a 17mm socket and a long breaker bar, from memory dont quote me on that)

Thanks 410Fortune, I was quoted $105 plus labor to replace the belt, does that sound right to you? I thought that was kinda high :rolleyes:

410, do you know offhand about what year Ford changed the tensioner design to use the "updated" tensioner vs. the old tensioner?

i.e. I wonder if my 94 has the updated tensioner. It's never gone out on me and/or made any noise.

My belt has always squeaked when the engine is cold. My belt tensioner went out earlier in the year. How I found out was that it was broken off at the mount and my fan blades were tapping it, lol. Lucky it didn't fly off into it, heh. But anyway I replaced it for $30 and it still squeaks like it used to.. and it never fails to annoy the crap outta me :(.

X man
$105 plus labor to replace a belt is ridiculous. Buy a Chiltons or Haynes manual ($15-$20) from a parts store and buy the belt for around $30 (I would guess at most) or get a friend to help you. Very easy to do
Good Luck

Yeah I thought that was kind of high but that's the way this guy is at this shop, I think he's putting the difference in his pocket. I'll wait until I catch the boss there he gives me better prices. If not I'll try to do it myself or buy the part and see what the labor cost.

Thanks - X-Man

Thanks guys for the info on the belt tensioner. Something I would have never thought of !!!!

I thought I was having idling problems on my 97 with 62K.... and when I kicked on the AC its got worst.

Bottom line:
Belt tensioner $41 at NAPA....list is $58 something
Time - Little to none....
Unless you drop your socket wrench like a clumsy putz and it falls right into in the fan cowling.....and have to fish for that.......note: obligatory cursing consumes much time too hahaa

Thanks again.
My 94 "X" with 92K needs a new belt too. I'm so impressed, its is getting a new tensioner too.

Back