• Register Today It's free!

4.6 V8 Towing Capacity

mekkerl

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Limited
I have a 2007 ST V8 4x4 with 32k-miles on it. The manual (and websites) say it can tow ~6,800 lbs.

Other than making sure I have the correct hitch (which I do- Class 3), is there anything else I should make sure I have? Is the tranny set-up for this? Any ratios, etc...I should be aware of?

I am looking at 6k-lbs travel trailers and want to make sure if I get a 6k-lbs trailer I can hook it up and tow it.

Any towing advice with the sport trac is appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It will be fine to tow 6000 lb just the way it is. If you want to do some mods to make it better, I'd suggest a bigger tranny cooler, a custom tune for the computer to firm up the shifts, and a cat-back exhaust (if you don't mind a little more noise) to pick up a few hp.
If you're going to tow a 6000 lb trailer pretty regularly, I'd advise getting the transmission flushed once a year.

I don't plan to tow regularly, only a few weekends a year.

How close to the max towing capacity can I get?

This extra tranny clooler thing, is this a major procedure? Cost a lot? Worth it for only a few weekends a year?

I could have sworn mine said 7800 lbs. towing I could be wrong I think manufacturers will be a little conservative in there towing estimates.

I could have sworn mine said 7800 lbs. towing I could be wrong I think manufacturers will be a little conservative in there towing estimates.

The 2008 does have a higher rating than a 07.
We have the class 4 hitch with tounge weight of 750 and trailer weight of 7600lbs.

Thing with your max towing capacity is you also have to account for the weight of everything else you're taking along and not exceed the total GCVW of the Sport Trac. Food, clothes, beer, ice, water in the holding tank, beer, grill, charcoal, beer, smoker, beer, more food, folding tables and chairs, beer, dining canopy, more ice, wood chips for the smoker, and beer. So I'd say if the towing capacity is 6800 and the trailer is 6000 that should give you enough cushion depending on how much beer you take.
I'd advise an equalizing hitch. For a few weekends a year I wouldn't bother modding anything unless you just want to. The Gibson exhaust I have gives you about 8 hp I think. When my kids moved in with me last year I brought their stuff from NY in a large enclosed motorcycle trailer I borrowed, probably weighed 3000 with cargo, and I didn't even know it was back there.

Beer. Don't leave home without it.

(Karl Malden, R.I.P.)

2006 v8 4.6l 3v... how much can i tow?

2006 v8 4.6l 3v... how much can i tow?

I believe the V8's are rated for around 7000 lb with the Class 3 hitch. If your Explorer has the standard and smaller Class 2 hitch then that limits you to 3500 lb.

i have the class 3/4 hitch

Back