• Register Today It's free!

How do I remove A pillars?

JarvisB

Reaction score
City, State
Washington, DC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
I am working on finding a place to install my tweeters. I want to remove A pillars but I wanted to see if there is a certain way to remove it rather than pulling it apart. I dont want to break it.

BTW, will I be able to flush mount a tweeter in the A pillar? the tweeter mounting depth is hair less than an inch. I will have a picture up soon.

Hope you guys can give me an answer quickly as I am working on it right now, but I will just work on the amplifier section and wirings until I get an answer about the A pilars.

Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

utf-8BSU1HMDAxMDEtMjAxMDAzMTgtMTY1O.jpg

Seems like I am stalking you in your threads:D I would try the audio forum for better luck.

naw man, no stalking. this is a forum, we r free to follow one other IMO :)

BTW I m sure someone around here had at least removed the a pillar once before?? lol

I might attempt it myself then

pull the left end off first (above and next to your head as you sit in the truck) as there is a clip there. Pull straight out. Then pull the a pillar by the windshield off toward you and down. There are 2 clips there. You hay or may not have a clip at the bottom. There should be one, but lots of Ex's lose the metal clip.

Leave the gold clips on the metal of the a pillar, and line up the plastic tabs on the trim and push them back on.

I'm probably overcomplicating it, but just pull perpendicular to the trim it is attached to. The tabs on the a-pillar by the window like to snap off if you pull sideways at all.

I just read this- am I an engineer? Judas Priest that was a pile of overcomplicated words to pull off a piece of plastic! Unreal! :D

thanks I guess I ll just give it a good tug then. I was afraid to just pull it lol.

I know how to remove B pillar plastics no problem, I was asking about A pillars.

BTW do I have any room to put tweeters into the a pillars?

Thanks for your help!

Your tweeter mounting depth looks like a bit over 3/4in. I have some Focal TN47 tweeters in my A pillars and they are tight and bulge the pillar out by the windshield just a bit (not really noticeable unless looking for it). My Focals are 17.3cm or .68in depth. So you may be able to get them to fit.

It'll be close Jarvis, there isn't a lot of room behind there...

Your tweeter mounting depth looks like a bit over 3/4in. I have some Focal TN47 tweeters in my A pillars and they are tight and bulge the pillar out by the windshield just a bit (not really noticeable unless looking for it). My Focals are 17.3cm or .68in depth. So you may be able to get them to fit.

thanks for the info! got any pics of it?

I have yet pulled the A pillars off yet but I did give the drivers side pillar a try and wow it is not coming off with some of my strength, you guys sure that I only need to pull it outward? I just realy dont want to break it ha.

Like I said, I would love a pic of your pillars with tweeters mounted, thanks

Here's some pictures of the passenger side A pillar. Sorry for the quailty, result of bad weather + camera phone. :(

photo.jpg

photo2.jpg

man that looks great! exactly what I am going for on mine.

so can you give me some more input on how did you get those A-pillars out?

I am hoping to get my A pillars out this weekend and cut them up and finally mount the tweeters.

If my tweeters turn out to be tad bit too deep, I am thinking about buying some bondo or something to make a small "hill", sand it down to how I want it to look, and then paint it so the tweeters should fit.

The tweeters I have are tiny! just that the housings are bulky, I might have to find a way to trim down the housings and still make it functional. Thanks again

If your a pillar is like the picture above, simply remove the small caps. Undo the bolts holding the handle on, take out the handle. Then its simply pulling it out. I start at the top and work my way down, seems to be the easiest way.

so can you give me some more input on how did you get those A-pillars out?

Just pull back the weather strip. Then on pass side pull those two plastic plugs right out. Then remove the 'grab handle' bolts but be careful not to drop them down the pillar and behind the dash. ;) Then just pull the top of the pillar first and then pull the whole pillar up and out. Reverse when replacing starting with sliding the bottom of the pillar in place first.

My post may be a bit late. Did you get this done already? If so how'd it go?

hope it all turned out good.. i got 4 tweets in my a pillars.. i tried to go with just the pioneer 4 ways in the doors.. and the tweeters made such a difference on the highs!!

hope it all turned out good.. i got 4 tweets in my a pillars.. i tried to go with just the pioneer 4 ways in the doors.. and the tweeters made such a difference on the highs!!

4 tweeters per side? If so, HOLY SMACK!!! I'll tell you one thing, being deaf kinda sucks:D

Back