• Register Today It's free!

2002 4.0 pcv location

cferr

Reaction score
City, State
lafayette, la
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 mountaineer
A lot of good info for pcv in this forum, but couldn't find location of pcv valve for 2002 mountaineer 4.0. I know it isn't recommended till 60,000 miles, but this is a maint. item I like to change often. Thanks cferr

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I still can't find it, I think my engine is different than the link you provided. I tried to attach a picture of my engine, but I can't post attachments. Anyway, 2002 Mountaineer with 4.0 v6 sohc not the flex fuel one. Maybe someone who has this model and has the ability to post attachments and will attach an image of their engine. Thanks Cferr

Please someone with this same engine enlighten me!!!

Are you sure the picture is wrong? You've taken off the engine/throttle cover? It's WAY in the back, right next to the firewall. Mine is just like the picture, and I haven't tried pulling it out, it's so friggin hard to get to.

Can't find it either...

I'm having the same problem... I can't find the PCV valve. I've found several pics in different threads here, but none of them seem to match my engine. (2002 Explorer XLT 4.0, non-flex-fuel.)

Here's a pic of the engine, if it helps (throttle body cover removed):
12-09-07_1924.jpg

Can anyone spot the PCV valve? :) (I guess it's probably over on the driver's side, but unfortunately I don't have a pic handy from that angle.)

It is located in the back right hand side of the intake manifold, between the intake manifold and the firewall. It is a pain to reach.

Good Luck

--Joe

Thanks, Joe. I'll get under there and tackle it again this afternoon.

Assuming you mean driver's side when you say "right" ?

Yes drivers side of the intake manifold.

Basically one of the worst places to locate the PCV

--Joe

looky here

:thumbsup::):exp:eek:n the 2002-2005 4.0L ohv motor look on the divers side valve cover on the back between the valve cover and firewall look for a hose on the intake manifold and the valve cover it is in the back of the cover and once the hose is removed the larger one on the back of the manifold and gets smaller on the pcv side it is a u shape hose goes from the back top edge of manifold down to the back of the valve cover it is located in the very back edge of both the manifold and valve cover side on the drivers side i can post a pic if i am told how to thanks and hope this helps mine is a 2003 I was told that 2002-2005 ohv 4.0l are all the same.
I'm having the same problem... I can't find the PCV valve. I've found several pics in different threads here, but none of them seem to match my engine. (2002 Explorer XLT 4.0, non-flex-fuel.)

Here's a pic of the engine, if it helps (throttle body cover removed):
12-09-07_1924.jpg

Can anyone spot the PCV valve? :) (I guess it's probably over on the driver's side, but unfortunately I don't have a pic handy from that angle.)

Driver's side is actually 'left' side. All direction in a vehicle is determined from sitting behind the wheel. Whatever...all I know is mine is on transmission number 4! Hooray! What a piece of garbage.:thumbdwn:

Dang, I just looked the part up on bigfordpartsstore. com and it is $11 is it really worth changing if not being a problem? Would it help of hurt the old one to clean it up with maybe some WD 40 or maybe some parts cleaner? Just not sure if it would be worth fixing if it ain't broke.

STU

I dont think its so much as fixing something that isnt broke, more so then it is preventative maintenance. You may notice adverse effects to your gasketry by never changing your PCV =)

I have an issue which i think is related to the PCV in my 2004 ford explorer xlt. I picked it up used private sale 02/25/2011. I was used to driving a small 2.0L mazda P5 and I knew gas consumption on the Ford would be more but not like this...Specs state that the truck has an 88L tank, i only got 300km out of it, that is the equivalent to 1 gallon per mile, terrible i know. I figured I would check the air filter and low and behold half of it is stained with oil and i have maybe a half cup floating in the bottom of the casing. I cleaned it up but it got me worried, i just changed the oil on 02/26/2010 and did not have any issues, I do not see any leaks or seapage through seals and gaskets. I do not have a K&N air filter, just a regular paper filter and I am sure it's not sopposed to have any oil in there... with the research that I have looked into I am lead to believe i need to change my PCV, no problem but I cannot find it, any help with probable causes for the oil in my filter and where the PCV is. Thanks! Also any serious injury to my beloved ford because of this. Quick note as well, I was sitting at a little over my full line...not sure if it can overflow through the breather into my air intake to the filter, that would be nice to hear that is it but my Mileage still blows and I know I can get more out of it, this was my trial period, slow take offs, no 4x4, easy cruising...just so I had an idea of my possible max km/tank! Had a 2000 explorer 4L with 210 000km. So I have experience with their mileage as we drove across Canada. NEED HELP!!!

Back