fuel filter removal without the tool??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

fuel filter removal without the tool???

1993fordexploere

Reaction score
City, State
northern california (Eureka)
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 explorer xlt 4x4
is there a way to do this or do i have to run back to town and buy one??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is there a way to do this or do i have to run back to town and buy one??

I have heard of people being able to use the plastic cap off a Sharpie pen to release the spring clip but I have always used the special tool.

You may be able to fabricate one from some hard plastic tubing but it's best to go buy one.
Either way, sometimes they can be a real pain to get off.
Don't forget to release the fuel pressure in the lines before you attempt to remove the filter.

Do it right. Get the disconnect tool.

Good luck .......

Don't forget to release the fuel pressure in the lines before you attempt to remove the filter.

is that just as simpe as opening the gas tank?? or is there some sorta vavle that can come open to?

Different methods can be used but this seems to work best:
Always open the fuel cap to release pressure in the tank.
Then release the pressure in the lines and fuel rails by takeing out the fuel pump relay or tripping or disconnecting the fuel-cutoff intertia switch and then start and run the engine until it runs out of gas, don't forget to reset or reconnect when you're done.

Also release the pressure by depressing the Schrader valve on the fuel rail.

I thought about mentioning that as well Aldive but I hate the idea of possibly spraying gas on a hot manifold. (Do this work when the engine is cold)
While you are doing any of this work, keep lot's of rags and a fire extinquisher handy and ALWAYS use eye protection.
Getting gasoline in your eye is best avoided!

Getting gasoline in your eye is best avoided!

Or in your ear. Don't ask. But you will never, EVER let that happen again.

gas in ear sucks, done that ONCE
Gas in arm pit sucks, done that 47 times

There are times I have put the disconnect tool down because it wasnt working in favor of a sharpie pen cap, cut the tip off, slit it down the side, it works like magic ON SOME FITTINGS

so does a chapstick tube oin the older larger fittings

But always try the tool first, they work 99% of the time

Back