• Register Today It's free!

Clicking noise at low speeds

black974X4

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 sport 4X4
Well my mom has an 04 explorer 4X4 XLT and has a clicking sound when you are slowing down to a stop or accelerating from a stop. It will do it turning or going straight. She took it to a reputable shop that looked at the breaks and all the suspension. I'm guessing they took a look at the CV joints since they looked at the suspension, but everything came back ok, except the brake pads had cracks in them. I wouldn't think that would cause a clicking noise though, especially while she is accelerating. Well the clicking is getting louder and I'm having her go back to have the u joints checked and checking the fluid on the transfer case just to be safe. I don't know what else it could possibly be. Does anyone know of anything else that could possible make this clicking noise?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are there any specific variables that affect the noise, it's frequency or the loudness of it?

IE: different speeds, turns, backing up etc.

No, it's the exact same each time it clicks. It's only at low speeds though.

It's not really constant, but the clicks don't speed up or slow down. The clicks are random and the time between them are random.

My wifes did this and it was the E-brake shoes falling apart. My mechanic say they do this all the time. I just removed them since I never use the E-brake.

Jeremy

Second vote for the e-brake. I had the same clicking issues and coincidentally my e-brake stopped working. I noticed it one day on the boat launch ramp when the e-brake pedal went all the way to the floor and I still rolled back until the transmission caught. It was scary. Got the e-brake shoes replaced the next day.

x 3 on the parking brake shoes.

Hmm, my wifes is doing the same thing.

It was the e-brake :) Thanks for the advice!

2002 Ford Explorer XLT V8 and that clicking sound

Just had the torque replaced, transmission fluid, motor oil and filter as well and vehicle running good for a couple of days. Today when putting the car on park or hitting the brake to go forward and backup to go ahead or park, I hear this clicking sound or a stump sound as if something hold back or trying to move (sorry hard to explain) coming from beneath the driver side. Anyone knows what this sounds like? Thanks :(

Just had the torque replaced, transmission fluid, motor oil and filter as well and vehicle running good for a couple of days. Today when putting the car on park or hitting the brake to go forward and backup to go ahead or park, I hear this clicking sound or a stump sound as if something hold back or trying to move (sorry hard to explain) coming from beneath the driver side. Anyone knows what this sounds like? Thanks :(

I found the rear e brakes were toast inside the rotors. I replaced the shoes/pads, e-brake piston, springs, and the rotor. Clicking went away.

Thank you Denny347. I will have this checked out. Other forums also suggested that since the torque converter was replaced to check out the codes and another forum mentioned the cv joint. So I will have all this including the back e brakes as you suggested looked at. Hope this will fix this problem. Transmissions are so expensive and hard work something I keep hearing complaints about Ford.

hi,im having the same problem bad clicking sounds that has me stumped! when turning the wheel to the right or left pulling out of a parking spot it does that clicking sound like clack,clack,clack...just installed new front wheel bearings from autozone and new pads and noise was not there before the friggin wheel bearings also front shakes like the death wobble when driving 60mph but when driving 75 or better it dose not shake at all.i figured some new tires will do the job and a wheel alignment,balancing but still nothing changed....just checked the e-break and it does not work and rear e-break had some piece hanging out like a broken pad....please any ideas im lost i love my ex just over 196,000 and she still runs great "so far"

Back