How much trailer weight can you safely tow? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How much trailer weight can you safely tow?

NinerK

Reaction score
City, State
Discovery Bay, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT 4X4
2002 Ford Explorer, V6, 3.75 axle, manual says max trailer weight 5,500 lbs for this motor and axle.

We are thinking of getting a camping trailer, I'm confident it can tow a pop up no problem, the one we are looking at is less than 3,000 lbs.

But there is nicer one we are looking at that is 4,060 lbs Dry, 4,950 max trailer weight.

Can I safely tow the heavier trailer? Has anybody here towed near the max trailer weight?

Don't want to head out on the road and kill me transmission. Any advice would be a huge help, the heavier one has everything we need/want.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

truck just passed 100,000 on original engine and transmission. My transmission shop told me these trucks have a pin that engages at an angle and it WILL go bad. He told me about the repair they make to strengthen the faulty part.

Just wondering if I am asking for trouble with that much weight. While towing we will have 6 passengers too, 4 kids under age 10.

Pop Up trailer gross fully loaded weight is 2,950 lbs.

Not really a good idea but I have towed a 6150 lb trailer from Ocean Ilse NC to Knoxville Tn with our '03 V6 it ran great on flat ground but the mountains gave it a fit. I havent had any problem with anything since that trip. S

I would recommend getting a trans cooler if you are going to pull the heavier weight. From what i have read you need the class 3 or class 4 towing package and you should be ok.
http://www.new-cars.com/2002/ford/ford-explorer.html
tried to use link from here but was having problem with site.
hope this helps (im not 100% but hopefully someone else can chime in with better info)

Look at the manual for specs. If you dont have it, search Google for Ford Fleet and download the manual from the website.

Not really a good idea but I have towed a 6150 lb trailer from Ocean Ilse NC to Knoxville Tn with our '03 V6 it ran great on flat ground but the mountains gave it a fit. I havent had any problem with anything since that trip. S

Thanks leftlane, sounds like it was slow going uphill.

Look at the manual for specs. If you dont have it, search Google for Ford Fleet and download the manual from the website.

Thanks, I have the manual and it says 5,500lbs trailer. Guess I'm just being cautious, this truck is my work vehicle so I don't need any issues.

I would recommend getting a trans cooler if you are going to pull the heavier weight. From what i have read you need the class 3 or class 4 towing package and you should be ok.
http://www.new-cars.com/2002/ford/ford-explorer.html
tried to use link from here but was having problem with site.
hope this helps (im not 100% but hopefully someone else can chime in with better info)

Local dealer ran my vin and confirmed the larger axle ratio, truck has mfg tow package, but dealer could not confirm which one. It has a standard hitch receiver (not the small one) and wiring to bumper.

Searching the site for "transmission issues" has got me concerned about towing.

Thanks for all the replies!

you should be fine. Remember, Ford puts ratings like this in the "warranty safe zone" they wouldn't give you a rating even close to the REAL capability, thus having to warranty bad engine or trans becuase you followed the owner's manual.

I believe even the 4.6L v8 has the same 5,500lb max rating. The truck is at work and torn apart. I've towed a crazy heavy uhaul steel trailer and a 2,900lb mustang and a crap-ton of spare parts with the entire family in the Monty through the hills of Missouri 3-4 times.. no issues. Trans cooler and a trans temp gauge were my additions just ofr piece of mind. Don't tow in OD unless on flat ground. No worries.

Rob

Yes it was slow I am just glad that it was in the 20's and 30's all the way through the mountains. I am sure it would have tried to over heat if it would have been in the summer. But she made it but for some reason the wife wont let me tow with her Ex. after she seen the weight of that trailer. Oh well

Yes it was slow I am just glad that it was in the 20's and 30's all the way through the mountains. I am sure it would have tried to over heat if it would have been in the summer. But she made it but for some reason the wife wont let me tow with her Ex. after she seen the weight of that trailer. Oh well

Interesting, pretty much wherever we tow this trailer it will be in hills/mountains. We are in northern CA and all the decent campgrounds are in the foothills and mountains.

you should be fine. Remember, Ford puts ratings like this in the "warranty safe zone" they wouldn't give you a rating even close to the REAL capability, thus having to warranty bad engine or trans becuase you followed the owner's manual.

I believe even the 4.6L v8 has the same 5,500lb max rating. The truck is at work and torn apart. I've towed a crazy heavy uhaul steel trailer and a 2,900lb mustang and a crap-ton of spare parts with the entire family in the Monty through the hills of Missouri 3-4 times.. no issues. Trans cooler and a trans temp gauge were my additions just ofr piece of mind. Don't tow in OD unless on flat ground. No worries.

Rob

Thanks Rob, did the explorer have an option for trans cooler? My truck has a few different radiators up front.....2002 XLT

Thanks Rob, did the explorer have an option for trans cooler? My truck has a few different radiators up front.....2002 XLT

i beleive the ones with the trailer tow package did mine does but i have a two door sport. I agree it would not be a bad idea to add to tranny cooler and a temp gauge if ya dont have one for peace of mind coolers and gauges are much cheaper then a toasted transmission

I towed a 2900lb RX7 loaded on a tandem axle (lightweight) landscape trailer with surge brakes to Indianapolis then Cincinnati OH and back to Wisconsin.
I estimate ~5000lbs.
My Ex is a 2006 EB with the V6/3:55 gears. (I installed a class III hitch and a trans cooler)
I kept it out of OD and maintained 65MPH with out any issues. Granted I don't trailer on a consistent basis. I maintained 15 MPG for the trip.
Nice slow steady starts and don't try and force it to speed.
Just my experience.

I have an 03 (V6) with factory tow package and used it to tow a 4500lb boat--And like leftlane 36 said, on flats it was fine but slowed down when it saw a hill--Never failed or ran hot, however-

Back