How to replace an oil pump in a 1999 2wd 5.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to replace an oil pump in a 1999 2wd 5.0

jtj1903

Reaction score
City, State
Clinton, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Limited 5.0L V8
My oil pump keeps making knocking sounds when I turn my car on and off. Also, my oil level gauge flickers up and down whenever i'm not accelerating. I think its priming slow and going bad on me so i wanna replace it. Anyone know to change one in a 1999 2wd 5.0. pics would be great if possible

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The motor's gotta come out.

The crank counterweights make it impossible to pull the pan off without lifting the motor.

While you are under there, can you measure your driveshaft (and/or take pics of it) from U-joint to U-joint, Center to Center.

Thanks,
Ryan

The motor's gotta come out.

The crank counterweights make it impossible to pull the pan off without lifting the motor.

While you are under there, can you measure your driveshaft (and/or take pics of it) from U-joint to U-joint, Center to Center.

Thanks,
Ryan

Ryan, I just did mine without pulling the engine

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242451&highlight=purple+pan

I did have a lot to remove due to the suspension lift, however a 2wd should be easy.

the pan will not completely come out, until you remove the oil pickup and pump and drop it in the pan.

from above thread--engine in truck

oilpumpseen.jpg

You can see, from this point the oil pickup nut, and 2 oil pump bolts can be removed. once the tube is in the pan, the pan will come out--

If you just need to change the pump, well, looky here--

I am glad I was able to prove it could be done. But It was a bummer to do it.

amazing!! I am next.... red trucks going into the garage monday, thanks to Jon I plan to have it back out by Friday! Do NOT want to mess with those bellhousing or exhaust bolts again if I dont have too! front end = pffft no problem!!

currently the rzr is in the garage front and center... oh man I thought I was addicted to offroad before....

amazing!! I am next.... red trucks going into the garage monday, thanks to Jon I plan to have it back out by Friday! Do NOT want to mess with those bellhousing or exhaust bolts again if I dont have too! front end = pffft no problem!!

currently the rzr is in the garage front and center... oh man I thought I was addicted to offroad before....

The driver side cat pipe may cause some grief. But hey--cut it with a sawzall and have the exhaust shop run a bead if you have to--

exhaust shop? LOL I am the shop!

Kidding!!! Little things like this do allow me to work on my welding skills, and then take it in when I admit defeat

...I forgot I was in 2nd Gen....

With a 5.0L in my 1st Gen, I have a true Engine Crossmember, so I will have to lift the motor a bit to do the same thing.

Ryan

Is the 99 V8 front suspension the same as the V6 front end on the 2wd?

If it is, unless the frame is completely different the pans bolts and the front cover bolts just need to be removed and the pan should drop out of the truck..

I dropped my v6 pan to clean the pan of a ton of sludge and replace the oil pump and after removing 24 bolts, the starter, and the power steering cooler and the pan dropped out into my hands...

Good luck on replacing the pump and pickup...And I hope it fixes your problem.. Mine did!!!

Back