Camshaft Position Sensor?

Lazzman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport 4wd- V6 Sohc
Does anyone know how many Cam position sensor a 4.0 sohc motor has?

I know there is one on the top of the driver side valve cover but is their another one somewhere?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes there is another on the back of the engine block just like the earlier OHV

Thanks 410 I thought so. Different auto parts stores were giving me different parts.

Is the rear one visible? How hard is it to locate?

If its like my 1996 4.0, its not visible to the bare eye, you need a mirror. I just replaced mine, what a pain, no room!!

Do you have the SOCH or OHV?

Why does the sohc motor have two Cam position sensors? One on the valve cover and one in the back of the engine?

It has two because one is used to startup in the traditional manner, to engage spark timing and fuel injector firing (tells the computer the engine is rotating) and the valve cover mounted sensor is for the actual cam signal and position to the computer so it can control/monitor valve timing.

probably because the OHV had one on the back of the engine, driven by the oil pump, and the SOHC has a "dummy" cam still in the top of the block

Your second sensor is on teh back of the engine, above the transmission spine, behind the upper intake manifold, a real PITA to access without removing the intakes

We know all this because of Brett's SOHC conversion using the OHV computer to run things (his valve cover mounted cam sensor is hooked up to nothing)

So your saying that it makes no sense to replace the valve cover mounted Cam sensor?

Lazz, do you have problems withthe cam sensor?

How did you determine it?

With a scan tool.

Somebody is mistaken here. The Ford dealer told me that there is only one cam position sensor for the sohc v6 engine and it is mounted on the valve cover.

The OHV V6 has the dummy cam sensor where the rotor was. Also my Ford manual only shows one Camshaft position sensor.

Does anyone know the truth? Is it one or two?

Thanks AL :thumbsup:

Allright listen up people

94+ OHV has a cam sensor, it is located at the back of the upper intake manifold:

the 97-2004 SOHC has this sensor ALSO and the valve cover mounted sensor.

There is no CAM/lifters/pushrods in the SOHC where the OHV cam used to be BUT there is a DUMMY cam in there because this is what drives the oil pump.

I am not sure about 2005+ but I am gonna go out on a limb and say its still there.....

The SOHC definatley has two cam sensors, one is actually used to tell the computer the over head cam position/speed/etc the one on the back of the block is still only used for initial start up.

When Brett did his SOHC conversion he had to make some wiring changes to accomodate the oil pump shaft mounted 2004 SOHC cam sensor, completely ignoring the valve cover mounted sensor because he is using a OHV computer.

I believe I already said all this, but um yeah if your Ford dealer says there is only one well then there must only be one, right? Dont lsiten to the people who actually pull these engines and work on them or with them, listen to the parts guy at the counter! hahahaha

both OHV and SOHC have a cam sensor mounted right here:
newflywheel.jpg

Thanks for clarifying 410 :thumbsup:

How in the hell do you replace that one? Just the sensor not the whole shaft assembly? That space looks way tight when the engine is mounted in the truck.

Thanks for any help.

remove everything down to the upper intake manifold then you can pull it out of the block.

Space is tight.
I was actually able to install one without removing the upper intake but the engine was basically bare aside from that and I did it mostly by feel

Jamie, does this look familier, this is the back of my 99 SOHC?

Attachments

• RearenginePCV.JPG
    RearenginePCV.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 14,647

Cam Sensor

Sorry to disagree 410, but like CDW's 99, my 98 SOHC has only one on the valve cover. No sensor on the rear of the block for start up or any other purpose. (See photo) However, there is something in the top center of the block which could be a sensor, but not for a cam since they are in the heads.(see photo2)

Also, the "dummy" camshaft is a jackshaft that runs the oil pump and the rear timing chain on the passenger side of the engine. Which runs through the block right under this "thing" on the block. Note that the old distributor hole is capped and bolted, the head of the bolt is visible under the crankcase vent filter box.

Mr. H.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If its like my 1996 4.0, its not visible to the bare eye, you need a mirror. I just replaced mine, what a pain, no room!!
YOU GOT THAT RIGHT. Just replaced mine 2 days ago, (96 Explorer V6 OHV 4x4). Used the mirror trick - didn't work. Finally found it just below the spark plug wire loom on the back of the block. Since I couldn't see the Damn thing, the only way to replace it was by feel.
So, I literally closed my eyes and got to work. 2 hours later -SUCCESS. The hardest part of the job was getting the new bolts to line up - BY FEEL.
Ran it for the first time this morning - seems to have solved the problem - SO FAR....but I ain't holding my breath....LOL

Spent some $450 + in parts trying to figure out the problem. Including, Crankshaft sensor, Throttle position sensor, IAC, Intake air temperature sensor, coolant temp sensor, fuel filter.
Initial symptoms stalling, poor idle, hard starting. Always ran better in cooler weather. There was 3 codes saying essentially the same thing - primary ignition system - replaced plugs, wires, and coil pack and PCM. -- NO Help.

YES I DID TAKE IT TO GET IT DIAGNOSED. Tech said the biggest issue was 'Hall Effect Sensor out of range', (and a dirty IAC...which he replaced). Great - I have 4 or 5 of the HES SOBs., (mentioned above). The only HES I haven't replaced yet is the VSS on the Tranny....but I did purchase the dang thing.

Like I said, it's running fine right now - but who knows. Once I completely solve the issues - trading it in on a newer model.....yes an Explorer...

Back