The everything Aviator thread. | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The everything Aviator thread.

Question when the truck goes on a RWD dyno can I just unbolt the front driveshaft from the transfer case. Will it still send power to the rear wheels?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The EGR tube fitting screws into the EGR valve system module. It is much easier to unscrew the fitting while the module is still attached to the intake plenum. You probably should soak the fitting with P B Blaster or equivalent before attempting to loosen the fitting. A good quality flare wrench will be less likely to round the corners on the hex collar of the fitting.

thanks streetrod, yeah needed a big wrench, 1 1/16, $15 , got the job done.
Now I get to wait and see if cleaning was all it needed.

I have a 2003 lincoln aviator that idles rough and makes a loud ticking/knocking noise as soon as the cold idle settles at 1k rpm. the noise changes a bit when its warm and driven, but its still there. I don't notice much of a power loss, so I'm almost ruling out a bad rod. I'm leaning towards vacuum leak or exhaust leak ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYm4lxkKKOk

It sounds like it's coming from the valve train? Are there any codes set?

There are no codes as of yet. The noise has gotten more noticeable over the past month or so.

I found the pcv valve and hose and replaced them they were junk. But in the process I broke the T connecter that runs the hose from the intake manifold to the heater hose. is there a hack that I can attempt to fix this problem? I can't find the part that I assume would be called a tee or T connector. link to a video I made. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA-O_G6i2VM

In follow up to my last post about the NAV radio/CD, I sent it in to a guy who does service on ebay. GREAT GUY. If you have an issue with your head unit - he's the man. He got it working again for me.

The light on the shifter still blinks all the time, but tranny is smooth, so I haven't dug into it.

I've been trying to fix an overheat problem for months now though and could use advice! It was overheating so I replaced the thermostat - which is a huge PITA because of where they put it. (if you ever have to do it, you may want to remove the whole housing and you can get at it through the wheel well.) ANYWAY, the Avi ran fine for a couple months and then overheated again on my wife. I drove it for a couple days- no problems and then it started overheating on me constantly.

I did the combustion gasses in the coolant test and that was cl3ean, so I think the head gasket is ok. Thermostat is new. I thought it could just be stubborn trapped air. so I ended up buying an Airlift II tool to refill the coolant. I pulled a vacuum with the airlift and it wouldn't hold at all. So, I borrowed the pressure tester from Oreilly's and found I had a crack in the top plastic of the radiator. UGH.
So I bought a Spectra radiator and did the radiator swap. (The radiator is supposed to slide up out of side tracks, but I still don't know how. It's too wide. I had to unscrew one of the tracks and get the radiator out at an angle.) I then pulled a vacuum and it held, so I filled it with the Airlift tool. I still had problems after that, so I drained the coolant and filled it again with the airlift tool.
Right now when I start it, within a couple minutes, the level of coolant in the degas bottle starts going up and it overflows before the thermostat even gets hot enough to open. (I checked with an infrared thermometer.) It'll still overheat, but it usually overflows first.
I am out of ideas!! New thermostat, new radiator, new coolant, filled with Airlift to prevent trapped air.... ?????? Any ideas on where I should go next?

What's up guys, been a long time. Used to be a long time owner of a 97 X Sport, and just recently found this thread cuz I am in the market for an 05 Avi 4x4 or an 06 X EB 4x4, which I'm leaning more towards the Avi for power and luxury. My problem is this: I keep reading all these threads and it seems all of u are always fixing something that stays a consistent problem, or just in general always fixing something. I'm not too mechanically enclined, but I can handle my own. Am I barking up a tree of trouble here by choosing the Avi over the X? I live in Miami and I'm seeing prices for the Avi around 5k w around 145k miles, and the X around the same.
Any advice on this at all? I will be doing the Truxxx lift on either model and getting Cooper tired as well, just concerned cuz we have a year and a half old daughter and I don't wanna be breaking down or anything constantly w her in the truck.
Any help would be great!!
#GladToBeBack !!

Also I know the mpg isn't great on either model, but I would really need to do something to improve that situation. Those chips actually work? What about K&N air intake system and new piping/muffler?
Would that whole setup get me a better mpg? Anyone have real experience w this setup on the Avi/X... Cuz In Miami there's a ton of stop n go driving.

06 Explorer

. . . I am in the market for an 05 Avi 4x4 or an 06 X EB 4x4. . .

Without doing a lot research I suggest the 06 Explorer. The 05 Aviator came with the same transmission (5R55S) as in the 3rd Generation Explorers which is one of the highest failure transmissions that Ford produced. The Aviator is heavier than the Explorer and has a more powerful engine (DOHC 4.6L V8) so that makes it even less reliable. The 06 V8 Explorer came with the 6R60 (a ZF derivative). It has a greater load rating (60 vs 55) and has 6 speeds vs 5. It should hold up better and get better fuel economy.

I'd second that advice. We've had so many probs with the Avi after owing it less than a year I'm not sure we'll keep it. If I had it to do over, I'd go Explorer Limited or Mountaineer Premier. Right now I have the weird cooling system problem, the chrome rim air leak problem, the broken CD problem and I think I need a new multi function switch since the blinkers and brights are on the fritz. Even if I fix that I'm just afraid of what the cost of ownership is going to be.... From what Ive seen the Explorer and Mountaineer seem like they are a LOT easier to work on.

I'd second that advice. We've had so many probs with the Avi after owing it less than a year I'm not sure we'll keep it. If I had it to do over, I'd go Explorer Limited or Mountaineer Premier. Right now I have the weird cooling system problem, the chrome rim air leak problem, the broken CD problem and I think I need a new multi function switch since the blinkers and brights are on the fritz. Even if I fix that I'm just afraid of what the cost of ownership is going to be.... From what Ive seen the Explorer and Mountaineer seem like they are a LOT easier to work on.

Thanks for the input. It does seem like u guys have issue after issue w the Avis. Sucks. They look so sweet and have potential.. But I do t wanna invest just to be upset.
Another question...
As far as the 06-07 X goes, what's the top of the line model that has leather, 3rd row, sunroof, bigger rims, etc..?
Is there much of a difference from the V6/V8 if I'm not gonna be towing anything at all?

We test drove am 06 Mountaineer Premier and it was very loaded. A little out of our price range at the time though. They made big model changes on the Mountaineers in 06 and in my opinion they are nicer than the 05's. Just keep an eye open for body rust around the rear wheel wells and the front of the hood. We saw some of that when looking at Mountaineers.

And just to be clear, the AVI is super nice. It has a lot of get-up, drives great, and is very well appointed. Maybe I'm just paranoid because of the issues Ive seen, but it's a gamble on what'll happen with that particular engine and tranny. Also, I thought there would be more commonalities with the Explorers and Mountaineers, but a lot of the Avi is it's own design... which they only made for 3 years.

reliability

. . . Is there much of a difference from the V6/V8 if I'm not gonna be towing anything at all?
In my opinion the V8 is more reliable than the V6 and the engine doesn't have to be pulled to replace the right cassette.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you fill the coolant by removing the engine crossover tube fill plug?
You may have air in the front or rear heater core. Do you have the procedure for removing air from them?

That may very well be the issue that FreeIndeed is experiencing. Here is a great tutorial for burping the cooling system on the 4.6 DOHC engines...
http://reischeperformance.com/refill.html

Back