All terrain tires on stock suspension? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

All terrain tires on stock suspension?

Hey guys I'm new here so bare with me. I have a 1999 Ford Explorer it's a V6 SOHC 4.0L. I want to do a little bit of off roading, nothing extreme just light trails and maybe a little mud MAYBE. I don't want to get a lift but instead just wanted to throw on some all terrain tires. Would this be a good idea to run them on stock? And if so do you know of any good all terrain tires...I'm hoping not to spend over $200 on each tire. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you wanting to go with a bigger tire, or just change to an all-terrain tire the stock size? You can put a set of BFG ATs on it in the stock size and it won't change a thing as far as the way it handles and drives, they're good on and off the road. You could also step up to maybe a 31 x 10.5 without any modifications and be just fine, also. The bigger tire size will just cause you ex to work a little harder to pull itself than normal, and your speedometer will be reading lower than your actual speed.

Yeah I didn't want to increase the size, just put them on stock

I recommend the Terra Grapplers. They are smooth on the highway and have trail capability.

I installed 30" General Grabber AT2 tires on mine. The street ride is excellent, not a lot of sidewall flex, and the grip is pretty good. Off road the grip is amazing. Noise level on the road is very minor. For the price (very affordable) I have been very happy with them.

Back