99 2WD limits? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

99 2WD limits?

Hey guys and girls, I just picked up my first Explorer. I want to build it up, it's already built a little bit. I love trails, and going to the beach, and out where I live I can find a lot of sand and during the winter, snow!. I have General Grabber 33s, and it has the 4.0 OHV so I was curious on how well it'll do in tough terrain.

As with any vehicle it basically comes down to the driver. Since you have a 2wd I would highly recommend a locker for the rear axle for added traction. There are a lot of people that run 2wd's offroad, especially in the sand and desert (referred to as PreRunners).

As with any vehicle it basically comes down to the driver. Since you have a 2wd I would highly recommend a locker for the rear axle for added traction. There are a lot of people that run 2wd's offroad, especially in the sand and desert (referred to as PreRunners).

What he said. I have a 2WD and it'll go anywhere the 4WD guys can go. Just takes a steady foot, good line choices, and good tires. A locker is very helpful.

Don't forget to have recovery points. A trailer hitch is a good idea for the back. You can do a trailer hitch up front (I have one) or a hook. Take shovels, come a long, straps, ect.

I had a Ranger not long ago, it was also 2WD, and I could go almost anywhere except sand. I've been wanting to build a prerunner for a long time and this one is partially set up for it, so I was just looking for a few pointers. So thank you guys.

Back