Wanted - Proper way to jack up an explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wanted Proper way to jack up an explorer

Parts or services wanted

watt9386

Reaction score
City, State
Croydon, Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 xlt & 97 sport
I have a 94 explorer that needs brakes. I need to know the proper way to jack it up and not break anything. I have it sitting on jack stands on the radius arms. Help?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jack stands on the radius arms are fine...How did you get it jacked up to get the jack stands under there?

Just reverse that.

Or are you asking about how to do the rear?

in the rear just put your jack under the pig if its a floor jack, if scissor jack that came with truck, on the tube near the shock mount is fine

Baddecision93 said:
Jack stands on the radius arms are fine...How did you get it jacked up to get the jack stands under there?

Just reverse that.

Or are you asking about how to do the rear?

I used floor jacks underneath the I beams. Its sitting awkard on the RA though. I'm going to take a couple pics for you guys.

in the rear just put your jack under the pig if its a floor jack, if scissor jack that came with truck, on the tube near the shock mount is fine

Mine came with a bottle jack. It hides where the rear window washer tank is located at.

As for jacking them up. I have always generally jacked the front up near the front tires, not sure exactly what you would call it. But it's the steel under the area where the front axles are at.

For the rear, I have always jacked mine up with one floor jack under the rear end. Trust me, I have jacked the rear up many a times, more so than the front because if I hit a hard enough bump my rear brake adjusters simply fall out :(

I have always placed jack stands under the frame. It is second nature to me but either way I have access to a lift which eliminates the need for jacks and jack stands. :thumbsup:

The factory service book shows the jack points for the 1994 Explorer using the bottle jack as:

Front: Underneath the shock absorber

Rear: On axle tube, 1/2 between pumpkin and springs

You can also use what I guess I would call frame outriggers just in back of the front wheel and just in front of the back wheel, and any of the structure between the two front spring towers.

The factory service book shows the jack points for the 1994 Explorer using the bottle jack as:

Front: Underneath the shock absorber

Rear: On axle tube, 1/2 between pumpkin and springs

That’s the points I always use did not know they were what the book said to. I also always place the stands under the frame and the tire when off under the frame lying down also that way if the jack and the stand fail the tire is still there to keep it off the ground or my legs if ever needed. Can we say safety first.

Learned that when a high lift jack kicked out and a jack stand went with it both tires off the rear end of a full size truck and the rear end pumpkin landed on my long hair back then (I was young then and had hair unlike now old fart and almost no hair LOL) pinning me under the truck talk about needing to change shorts after wards. I was doing a add a leaf lift at the time. Now I make it a habit to add the wheels as an extra safety and it keeps them out of my way most of the time to boot.

my recommendation is most definetely to buy a floor jack. the stock ones, work ... but they're such a pain !!!! If you get a floor jack, put it under the axle. front or rear. Use the differential ... that steel is meant to be abused and you really can't hurt it just jacking it up. Make sure to set your brake, block your tires. have a pepsi nearby, put it on a level surface. Don't fry bacon with your shirt off. Goodluck.

Back