C-clip eliminators for disc brake 8.8? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

C-clip eliminators for disc brake 8.8?

tennerv8

Reaction score
City, State
Duluth mn.
I have a 31 spline 8.8 in my v8'd s10. This rearend has disc brakes. Can I get c-clip eliminators for a disc brake 8.8? All the ones im seeing are for drum brake 8.8's. Any help would be great guys. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is no need for c-clips eliminators in the disc brake 8.8's. The caliper will hold it on if the c-clip breaks and the axle tries to come out.

There is no need for c-clips eliminators in the disc brake 8.8's. The caliper will hold it on if the c-clip breaks and the axle tries to come out.

Except that some sanctioning racing organizations require a C clip eliminator and won't allow the rear rotor deal to pass.

Have you tried Mark Williams?

I'm not sure what your intended use is, but C-clip eliminators are not recommended for offroad use due to the side loads placed on the axle. I got the same response from both Strange Engineering and Mark Williams.

This is a 2wd street truck. It has a healthy sbc in it at around 450hp. But will be seeing close to 600hp in the future. I was wondering if an NHRA track would allow this. Do I need c-clip eliminators to take it to a track.

Just a thought, the c-clip eliminators go one the outer axle, is there any reason that you can't still use the c-clip axles? I'd want to use them both if the track needed it.

I've got an NHRA rule book here. I'll look into it.

Didn't warn make a full floater kit (which gets rid of the c-clip) a while ago? I think it was them but I guess it didn't sell since they stopped making them pretty quick.

~Mark

tenner...IIRC, you need C-clip eliminators any time you bolt up a slick or a certain size tire...but don't quote me on that. It's been a while. With 600 hp, you will need slicks. I had an old Comp Elim car lose an axle near the big end once. It wasn't pretty. Get the eliminator kits if at all possible.

Buy better axles also, they are available OTS from a few places.

Under NHRA general regulations 2:2

Axle Retention Devices
All cars except Stock and some ET cars as noted in Class Requirement must be equipped with a satisfactory means of rear axle retention minimum .120 inch aluminum or .09 inch steel bearing retainer mandatory. Stock C clip axle retention prohibited as outlined in Class Requirements.

Section 5A ET

Aftermarket axles and retention devices mandatory on any car running 10.99 (6.99 in 1/8) or quicker with locked differential.

Didn't warn make a full floater kit (which gets rid of the c-clip) a while ago? I think it was them but I guess it didn't sell since they stopped making them pretty quick.

~Mark

Warn went through a business restructuring right after that product was introduced and eliminated the product from their offerings.

Ahh! That rings the bell! Thanks Rick.

LOL! this all translates to $$$ to me. Great info guys. I guess I might have to swap to drum brakes to even get an eliminator kit to work huh? I like my discs:mad:

I believe the C-clip eliminator will work with your discs. Give Strange or MW a call and see what they say.

That's brilliant! I just ordered a spool and 31 spline axles for my 1996 8.8 with disk brakes. I was shopping for c clip eliminators.... not anymore!

That's brilliant! I just ordered a spool and 31 spline axles for my 1996 8.8 with disk brakes. I was shopping for c clip eliminators.... not anymore!

I wouldn't call that an approved mod. All of the side force will be applied to the caliper, full time. The C-clip eliminator is a bearing assembly designed for the load.

A caliper can often retain a wheel in an emergency situation, such as if an axle shaft was broken on the trail or when launching a drag car.

When I was looking into C-clip eliminators some of the companies said they didn't reccomend them for off-road use, just straight line drag racing.

You have a 1960 Falcon gasser?! Please post pics, I’d love to see it!

I wouldn't call that an approved mod. All of the side force will be applied to the caliper, full time. The C-clip eliminator is a bearing assembly designed for the load.

A caliper can often retain a wheel in an emergency situation, such as if an axle shaft was broken on the trail or when launching a drag car.

When I was looking into C-clip eliminators some of the companies said they didn't reccomend them for off-road use, just straight line drag racing.

Ditto. The C-clip eliminators are not extremely strong, good for drag racing but not ideal for extreme uses. The calipers should be fine for brief emergency needs if an axle broke.

Old 9" rears have a pressed on bearing on the axle shaft next to the hub. Those are similar to a C-clip kit put on an 8.8 axle etc, but they aren't fool proof. I broke a 9" axle on my first car, a 72 Ford that had that one right axle bearing fail 2-3 times before. The axle failed where the bearing was, right as I came off a highway, a long off ramp. The wheel came off right at the bottom of the off ramp, as I turned right. I heard and felt the noise as I was slowing down, and I was only 1/4 mile from the Ford dealer I was working at. Anything can break, plan for what you can reasonably.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back