LED lightbar for my grille guard | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED lightbar for my grille guard

Last week, I replaced my KC Daylighters on my grille guard with a 21" 7200 lumen LED bar. The KC's had HID's in them but they had failed twice since I got them in 2011. So instead of replacing the HID's for a third time I just went ahead and replaced them altogether.

The first thing I had to do was measure where I was going to mount the bar as I had to drill new holes for the brackets. After doing that I drilled I believe two 5/16" holes. I started with my smallest drillbit and worked my way up until the bolts fit. Unfortunately I don't have any photos as I was pressed for time before work and I'm impatient and didn't want to wait until the next day.

After I had the holes drilled I mounted the light to the grille guard. That took about three minutes. To power the light, I used the existing wiring that I used for the KC's. For this, I used yellow for the supply to the relay and green for ground.

i-hWf5cjz-M.jpg

I ran both wires behind the headlight on the passenger side and out to where the air intake is. There was an existing ground located there so I just ran the ground to it.

i-JrSdBJ6-M.jpg

The supply wire I ran into the front quarter panel around the shield for the air intake and back out to the relay.

i-n6nC5pk-M.jpg

Here is the finished product..
i-QqM7gjC-M.jpg

Lit up during the day..
i-qDrLT43-M.jpg

Taken at night, LED bar only
i-bMkpSWK-L.jpg

LED bar, HID headlights, HID fog's
i-fJHkj2v-L.jpg

LED bar, HID headlights, HID fogs, halogen Hella 500's on the roof
i-4L8hBwr-L.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FF15E89C-C1F6-49F8-A3C3-B0BC2E72B42E_zpsgimbbn8a.jpg

I can run with just the light bar at night can see a heck of a distance. All dark rural roads around here , these beat my old spots by a mile

Where'd you buy these in Ontario?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Cree cubes I got off Ebay.ca cheap and the Cree light bar I got off Kajijji. I'm finding more and more on Kajijji now

Just got my 36" light bar for my roof once I get my roof rack here in the next couple of weeks.

I added a pair of Lifetime LEDs to my Bull Bar. The other pic gives you an idea of the output.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 219
  • trailer 6.jpg
    trailer 6.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 206

Those look pretty good, I'll have to take some pics tomorrow of my new one 36" one on my roof rack.

Back