• Register Today It's free!

AWD Transfer Case fluid change

Smoke92

Reaction score
City, State
Montana
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0 AWD
Hey guys, I am going to change the front and rear diff fluid and the transfer case fluid on my 97 AWD 5.0 this weekend. I have done this before on my 04 4WD Ranger. I am assuming the explorer is the same as far as the diffs go. I was wondering what kind of fluid the transfer case takes and how to change it, being that is is AWD instead of 4WD. Also, do you have to use a suction gun through the fill plug on the front diff like on a Ranger? Thanks. BTW, what kind of fluid would the Transfer Case need?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

pretty sure i used Mercon V, but couldnt get all 2 quartz in
i didnt suction all the fluid out, just let it drain out of the drain bolt, filling it was a BEACH, i ended up running a tube all the way to the engine compartment and made my aunt poor fluid in while i held the tube in place. there are a few bad youtube videos, search for A1auto, maybe he has a nice one done

Look in the owner manual to see what it takes (page 223)...
If you don't have the manual, get one free from here: Dead Link Removed

PS: Strictly technical, AWD has a central differential, not a regular transfer case. It is called the same so it does not confus epeople.

Cool, thanks for the video link. For some reason I was thinking the AWD used a viscous clutch setup so I was thinking it would use different fluid other than ATF like a regualr 4x4 case but I guess not. Are there any videos of doing a front diff fluid change out there? Doesn't seem like there is enough room to get the cover off.

The factory manual that came with mine says regular MERCON ATF 1.3 quarts for the AWD transfer case. Also make sure to get the friction modifier for the rear diff. I think it is about $8 at the dealership.

The factory manual that came with mine says regular MERCON ATF 1.3 quarts for the AWD transfer case. Also make sure to get the friction modifier for the rear diff. I think it is about $8 at the dealership.

Yup, picked up a bottle at my local dealership, I spent $7.95 on it.

Question I plan on doing the front diff in mine in the spring, does it too need the friction modifier?

No just the rear needs it.

No just the rear needs it.

OK, Thanks, just wanted to make sure. From looking at it, it will be a big PITA! Although it will be beneficial, because it most likely never been done on my truck with 157,x.. Miles on it.

I was able to pump it out with a cheap hand pump with some brake bleeding tubing shoved inside the gear lube pump tubing.

Back