can i change a automatic to a 5 speed? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

can i change a automatic to a 5 speed?

winterfresh24

Reaction score
City, State
newberg OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 xlt
i have a 1991 explorer 4x4 105k

my tranny is giving me some shifting problems and i have thought about what it would take to convert it to a 5 speed. i looked by the pedals and i have the mounts for the new pedal already in it and i know i can use a 5 speed from a ranger. i am just wondering if it could be done

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah... Just buy a whole parts vehicle and swap everything over.

It isn't THAT expensive though to have a tranny rebuilt.... There is one seller on ebay that doesn't do a bad job of it and is reasonably priced... they are in arizona or something... so after shipping and then shipping your core back, it is usually around $1100. If you have a decent tranny place in your area, that is about how much a rebuild costs anyways half the time.

This guy shows how he did it. I would personally describe his skill as "above average" but he makes it look very doable, lol.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253888

Remember though, once you get your old tranny out you are really past the point of no return. Your vehicle is disabled until you complete the swap. If you have access to another vehicle until you are finished it might be a good security blanket.

I had a donor rig ready in my garage with the 5 speed. I did the entire swap in a little over two days. It is a plug and play swap, no cutting welding or other custom modification needed. When you change the pedal cluster, un-bolt the wiring bulk head connector and you will have room to remove and replace the pedal shaft. Be sure to take the under hood wire harness to the tranny, neutral safety switch, and starter from the donor rig as well. The starters are different

If you tow anything heavier that a jet ski, stick with your automatic and have it rebuilt. Be ready to replace clutches every 3-4 years. Beware of weak reverse shaft and input shaft bearings on the manual tranny. Buy a new slave cylinder and master cylinder, and clutch for the manual, these fail regularly.

I also did the electric to manual transfer case swap. When I'm off road I DO NOT want to depend on cheap **** electric parts to get me in 4 wheel drive.

thanks a lot everyone. i think i want to be starting on this project soon. the one thing i was wondering about to was if i should get a floor mounted 4x4 shifter. i think it would be better but im not sure if that would be to hard to do. i feel confident in my ability to do this because i just replaced my intake manifold gasket. and that sucked but its working great now.

I had a donor rig ready in my garage with the 5 speed. I did the entire swap in a little over two days. It is a plug and play swap, no cutting welding or other custom modification needed. When you change the pedal cluster, un-bolt the wiring bulk head connector and you will have room to remove and replace the pedal shaft. Be sure to take the under hood wire harness to the tranny, neutral safety switch, and starter from the donor rig as well. The starters are different

If you tow anything heavier that a jet ski, stick with your automatic and have it rebuilt. Be ready to replace clutches every 3-4 years. Beware of weak reverse shaft and input shaft bearings on the manual tranny. Buy a new slave cylinder and master cylinder, and clutch for the manual, these fail regularly.

I also did the electric to manual transfer case swap. When I'm off road I DO NOT want to depend on cheap **** electric parts to get me in 4 wheel drive.

Every 3-4 years what? I have 3.27 gearing on mine and I tow cars with it sometimes. Just take care of the dang thing and you can get 200,000 miles out of it.

Back