Explorer cuts off when idling

osiris_9510

Reaction score
City, State
Fayetteville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLT
Hey everyone

I have a 2001 Ford Explorer (XLT, V6 SOHC 2WD, 151K miles) that just cuts off when idling. It won't always do this, I'd say 1 out of 10 stoplights. And when it does cut off, its a pain in the *** to get it to crank up again. The engine will turn over, but it seems as if its not getting fuel. One day I nearly killed the battery trying to get it to start up again, thankfully it finally started again. I never run it low on fuel, there's always at least a 1/4 tank. It idles at around 800-1000RPMs. I have noticed that just before (1-2 seconds before) it sputters just a little bit. And if I slam the gas pedal down (I only do this in the parking lot while its in park) it won't cut off. Check engine light does not come in, though it did before the tune up.

I have (in this order):
Run 2 cans of injector cleaner through it
Tuned it up (spark plugs and wires, good ones, it was missing a little bit anyway. Check Engine light would come on once a week)
Replaced coil pack
Replaced fuel filter

I'm no mechanic, but a few people have told me it could be a hose. So, I looked for a loose vacuum hose but I can't find anything that's loose or disconnected. Can someone tell me where to look for a hose that could be causing the problem? Could it be a problem with the intake? I thought it could be an injector or sensor but surely a light would come on if it were one of those. Any other ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If pressing the gas pedal keeps it running, replace the IAC valve. Two screws and a conenctor, located on the top of the engine.
22972-1.jpg

If that is not helping, try to replace the gas filter (you need a special too for that).

Thank you for the reply. I have already replaced the fuel filter.

If it were a bad IAC valve wouldn't the Check Engine light come on?

Bad sensors do not always trip CEL's...

Thanks guys, will try this weekend. Getting tired of driving the wife's car with the kitty license plate on the front.....

Well, it's fixed, sort of....

Its not cutting off any more (on its own), but if I park it and cut it off, 1 time out of 5 it won't start up again. I can smell fuel vapors, so I know its getting fuel. And it will turn over and over, but it simply will not crank. If I let it sit for 10 minutes (taking the key out, etc) and come back, it will start up the first time. Again, this is only about 20% of the time. When it *does* start up, it comes right on without a hitch. There are no other problems with it, it runs great otherwise. No check engine lights come on, mechanic put a meter on it and it gives no error codes. Its not weak when its going down the road, it won't ever bog down. It just won't start about 20% of the time. Please help! I'm really stuck on this one.

It does idle high (1200-1500 RPMs).

I have (in this order):

*Run 2 cans of injector cleaner through it
Tuned it up (spark plugs and wires, good ones, it was missing a little bit anyway. Before tune-up, Check Engine light would come on once a week. Now it does not come on.)

*Replaced coil pack

*Replaced fuel filter

*Replaced IAC valve

(2001 Ford Explorer XLT 2WD, 4.0 SOHC)

I forgot to add, when it would cut off on its own while idling, it would also give me trouble starting up again. Not always, just some of the time.

MAF & CKP sensors

I suggest that you clean the MAF sensor with MAF sensor cleaner.

An intermittently faulty crankshaft position (CKP) sensor can result in similar characteristics. You might try disconnecting and reconnecting the electrical connector to clean the contacts some.

Back