1998 Explorer Can't Decide Rim Tire Size To Go With | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Explorer Can't Decide Rim Tire Size To Go With

What came stock is 225 70 15
What is on there is 235 75 15, 4 ply I think (30%-40% remaining)
I hear 255 70 16 from 3rd gen Explorer will bolt straight on
Friend recommends 235 85 16

I want to keep the cost down but will change to 16s if the price is good.

We are driving up and down a jagged rock mountain road. The front tire on there lasted going up once, and it now has a triple plug in it while I find some better tires. The jagged rock on this road is noted for puncturing tires.

The young guy at the tire store figured I should have 8 or 10 ply with an aggressive tread. He recommended Good Year Wrangler Territory 235 75R15. The ride is already kind of rough on the street,will these 8 or 10 ply tires be overkill; will 6 ply be enough? :dunno:

If I find a good price on some of the stock size 225 70R15 I would go that way too just out of pure economics.

If I find some 255 70R16s with rims, how many plies do they need to be? :dunno:

I just noticed that my Chevy 3/4 Ton 4x4 long box has 235 85 16, 7 ply Michellin, on it (stock wheels I think). THEY WEIGH A TON! I realize the rims are steel 8 bolt HD stuff but that aside, is that size of tire/wheel too big for my 98 Explorer without a lift kit? :dunno:

I don't know which way to go. I have to get it back on the road as it is a main part of our transportation right now. :dunno:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

255 70 16 is an option on some of the 2nd gen packages so I would think they would be okay.

Aloha, yes my 2000 Explorer (2nd gen) came with 16s and will directly bolt on if yours came with 15's.

255 70 16 is an option on some of the 2nd gen packages so I would think they would be okay.

Do you prefer 15s or 16s?
How many plies am I going to need? Is 6 ply enough for ragged jagged mountain road rock?

I have 3 of the 5.0s all with 15s. I test drove a 99 yesterday with 16s and I liked them better, definitely a more heavy duty feel. I guess you will pay a little more for them though and I am just guessing they will wear the suspension parts more quickly. I am also guessing your speedo will be off, if you go with 16s??

I have 3 of the 5.0s all with 15s. I test drove a 99 yesterday with 16s and I liked them better, definitely a more heavy duty feel. I guess you will pay a little more for them though and I am just guessing they will wear the suspension parts more quickly. I am also guessing your speedo will be off, if you go with 16s??

I thought of that too; the wheel bearings and suspension parts; bushings, and balls etc. will take more force.

I suppose I could change the part to bring the speed back into calibration; even a higher standing tire will effect the speedo. Is it a gear off the tranny or an electronic part now?

I just wish I knew how heavy of a tire (number of plies etc.) I will need; stiffer tires are harder on the whole vehicle. I only want to go as heavy of a tire as is necessary for that road, and no heavier.

I just wish I knew how heavy of a tire (number of plies etc.) I will need; stiffer tires are harder on the whole vehicle. I only want to go as heavy of a tire as is necessary for that road, and no heavier.

Did you try calling Tire Rack? I have had some luck with them with technical questions about tires.

Did you try calling Tire Rack? I have had some luck with them with technical questions about tires.

No, I just called the one place, Canadian Tire.

I think I may have messed up here though; I think this thread was supposed to be started in the 'tires and wheels' section. How do I get a moderators attention to get this thread moved over there? My mistake.:monkey:

No, I just called the one place, Canadian Tire.

I think I may have messed up here though; I think this thread was supposed to be started in the 'tires and wheels' section. How do I get a moderators attention to get this thread moved over there? My mistake.:monkey:

You got my attention. :)
Moved for you.

Also, I run the Wrangler Territories in 235/75/15. I find they're great and keep up with anything I need. Mud, Water, Snow, Dirt, Grass, haven't had a problem.
They're slightly loud on the road, but I run them at 40 PSI to keep them quieter.. Overall, I think they're great. Good wear and a nice LT tire.

The 3rd gen 16 rims have a deeper backset. I bought four and they rubbed on the lower control arm turning so I had to put spacers on. Yours should have come stock with 235's.

What came stock is 225 70 15
What is on there is 235 75 15, 4 ply I think (30%-40% remaining)
I hear 255 70 16 from 3rd gen Explorer will bolt straight on
Friend recommends 235 85 16

I want to keep the cost down but will change to 16s if the price is good.

We are driving up and down a jagged rock mountain road. The front tire on there lasted going up once, and it now has a triple plug in it while I find some better tires. The jagged rock on this road is noted for puncturing tires.

The young guy at the tire store figured I should have 8 or 10 ply with an aggressive tread. He recommended Good Year Wrangler Territory 235 75R15. The ride is already kind of rough on the street,will these 8 or 10 ply tires be overkill; will 6 ply be enough? :dunno:

If I find a good price on some of the stock size 225 70R15 I would go that way too just out of pure economics.

If I find some 255 70R16s with rims, how many plies do they need to be? :dunno:

I just noticed that my Chevy 3/4 Ton 4x4 long box has 235 85 16, 7 ply Michellin, on it (stock wheels I think). THEY WEIGH A TON! I realize the rims are steel 8 bolt HD stuff but that aside, is that size of tire/wheel too big for my 98 Explorer without a lift kit? :dunno:

I don't know which way to go. I have to get it back on the road as it is a main part of our transportation right now. :dunno:

You got my attention. :)
Moved for you.

Also, I run the Wrangler Territories in 235/75/15. I find they're great and keep up with anything I need. Mud, Water, Snow, Dirt, Grass, haven't had a problem.
They're slightly loud on the road, but I run them at 40 PSI to keep them quieter.. Overall, I think they're great. Good wear and a nice LT tire.

Thanks for moving it.

I'm certain the GY Wrangler Territory would resist the jagged rocks of this mountain road. I'm not sure I want quite that hard/heavy of a tire for on the pavement though; I still have to weight that out. I was thinking maybe something with 6 plies or so; the Territory has 8 or 10?

The 3rd gen 16 rims have a deeper backset. I bought four and they rubbed on the lower control arm turning so I had to put spacers on. Yours should have come stock with 235's.

I think my door sticker says that mine came with 225 70R15.

I will see if the 16 inch rims I am looking at are 2nd or 3rd gen.. crunchie_frog says the 2nd gens had the option of 255 70R16; LMedina says his 2nd gen 2000 came with 16s on it.
Are the spacers much bother?

Thanks

The stock tire size mostly matters in terms of the speedometer and odometer being off. With a larger tire on there, the speed will read slower and the miles will not show correctly. You can fix this by putting in the correct speedometer gear for the tire size.

What REALLY matters when it comes to tires and sizing is the gearing. If it has 3.08 highway gears, anything larger than the stock size is probably too big. With 3.27 gears, 235/75R15's are ok. 255/70R16's are even larger, I'd only go with those if you want the look and it has 3.73 gears.

If it has at least 3.27 gears, I'd just stick with 235/75R15's, since those are the most popular truck tire size, and you can get just about any truck tire made in it.

As for plies, that's really about load rating. A tire has more plies so it can hold more air (pressure) and carry more weight. A tire with 8 or 10 plies is something you would put on a full size pickup to haul heavy loads. Yes, they are also tougher off-road because of the extra plies, but putting an 8 or 10 ply tire on a SUV like the Explorer is incredible overkill. Not only that, but the heavy, heavy weight of such a tire will affect everything from the acceleration and braking to the gas mileage. Since the stock tire size is already 225/70R15 (he smallest the Explorer comes with), I'd guess the gearing is pretty high, either 3.08 or 3.27. Combo that with not just bigger tires, but way heavier tires, and you are going to turn the vehicle into a gas guzzling slug. Sure, the Explorer can handle it at lower speeds due to the torque of the 4.0L and the gearing of a 5-speed, but when you want to go up those mountain roads or zip out of the way of a speeding big rig in traffic, you will regret getting heavy, heavy tires that you will never, ever be able to use the load capacity of. Your wallet will regret it too, both for paying such a high price for high load range tires, and at the pump, when acceptable mileage turns into terrible mileage, with no solution other than different tires. Your wallet will also regret the shorter life of shocks, and your posterior will regret the choice with every minor crack and imperfection in the road. With 8-10 ply tires, it will ride like an empty dump truck.

All you need is LT tires, instead of P-rated tires, and you will get tougher tires that can handle off-road duties AND the loads the Explorer was made for. Get LT235/75R15 tires, not P235/75R15 tires, and you will get 6-ply Load Range "C" tires, which is all the Explorer needs.

That's not to say all P-rated tires aren't tough, plenty of them are the same 6-ply as the LT tires, and plenty of people off-road with them, but in general, LT tires used to have the tougher construction of the two, and that still is the case with many brands.

As for the mountain road with jagged rocks that are known for puncturing tires, that's a safety issue that needs to be reported and addressed to the party responsible for maintaining that road, whether it's the county, city, state, etc. Putting down sharp rocks that can puncture tires isn't some sort of macho thing where people should need to buy ultra-heavy-duty 10-ply tires to try and prevent punctures, the rock on that road needs to be broken up or replaced with something else that doesn't puncture tires.

Thanks for moving it.

I'm certain the GY Wrangler Territory would resist the jagged rocks of this mountain road. I'm not sure I want quite that hard/heavy of a tire for on the pavement though; I still have to weight that out. I was thinking maybe something with 6 plies or so; the Territory has 8 or 10?

I don't think the 235 Territory is 8 or 10.
I think it's 4 to be completely honest. I know it's C load rating, whereas the larger sizes (16 inch rims) have a load rating of E.

The stock tire size mostly matters in terms of the speedometer and odometer being off. With a larger tire on there, the speed will read slower and the miles will not show correctly. You can fix this by putting in the correct speedometer gear for the tire size.

What REALLY matters when it comes to tires and sizing is the gearing. If it has 3.08 highway gears, anything larger than the stock size is probably too big. With 3.27 gears, 235/75R15's are ok. 255/70R16's are even larger, I'd only go with those if you want the look and it has 3.73 gears.

If it has at least 3.27 gears, I'd just stick with 235/75R15's, since those are the most popular truck tire size, and you can get just about any truck tire made in it.

As for plies, that's really about load rating. A tire has more plies so it can hold more air (pressure) and carry more weight. A tire with 8 or 10 plies is something you would put on a full size pickup to haul heavy loads. Yes, they are also tougher off-road because of the extra plies, but putting an 8 or 10 ply tire on a SUV like the Explorer is incredible overkill. Not only that, but the heavy, heavy weight of such a tire will affect everything from the acceleration and braking to the gas mileage. Since the stock tire size is already 225/70R15 (he smallest the Explorer comes with), I'd guess the gearing is pretty high, either 3.08 or 3.27. Combo that with not just bigger tires, but way heavier tires, and you are going to turn the vehicle into a gas guzzling slug. Sure, the Explorer can handle it at lower speeds due to the torque of the 4.0L and the gearing of a 5-speed, but when you want to go up those mountain roads or zip out of the way of a speeding big rig in traffic, you will regret getting heavy, heavy tires that you will never, ever be able to use the load capacity of. Your wallet will regret it too, both for paying such a high price for high load range tires, and at the pump, when acceptable mileage turns into terrible mileage, with no solution other than different tires. Your wallet will also regret the shorter life of shocks, and your posterior will regret the choice with every minor crack and imperfection in the road. With 8-10 ply tires, it will ride like an empty dump truck.

All you need is LT tires, instead of P-rated tires, and you will get tougher tires that can handle off-road duties AND the loads the Explorer was made for. Get LT235/75R15 tires, not P235/75R15 tires, and you will get 6-ply Load Range "C" tires, which is all the Explorer needs.

That's not to say all P-rated tires aren't tough, plenty of them are the same 6-ply as the LT tires, and plenty of people off-road with them, but in general, LT tires used to have the tougher construction of the two, and that still is the case with many brands.

As for the mountain road with jagged rocks that are known for puncturing tires, that's a safety issue that needs to be reported and addressed to the party responsible for maintaining that road, whether it's the county, city, state, etc. Putting down sharp rocks that can puncture tires isn't some sort of macho thing where people should need to buy ultra-heavy-duty 10-ply tires to try and prevent punctures, the rock on that road needs to be broken up or replaced with something else that doesn't puncture tires.

Thanks That is the kind of info and insight I was looking for.
I really like your logic on economy and overkill. Thank you for laying it all out so comprehensibly.

Where do I find the gearing specs for my Explorer?

So the bottom line?
If 3.08 gearing go with LT225 70 15 (if LT235 75 15 is feasible it would be nice to be able to go with this most popular truck size)
If 3.27 gearing LT255 70 16 is too big; stay with LT235 75 15.
If 3.73 gearing LT255 70 16 is feasible.

I am leery about... too big a wheel (gearing), and too much of a load rating (weight), for too many economy and maintenance reasons.

The road I am on is a forestry service road that is only open to quads, bikers, and hikers (except for us). I don't see them spending a ton of money to improve and maintain it. I will bring the safety factor up to them. Go slow picking your path in Low and 4x4 Low is all I have right now. P235 75 15 is what is on there; I think they are 4 ply. I will feel more confidence without the overkill by running LT aka 6 ply Load Range C.

THANKS again :salute:

I don't think the 235 Territory is 8 or 10.
I think it's 4 to be completely honest. I know it's C load rating, whereas the larger sizes (16 inch rims) have a load rating of E.

Maybe they come in more than one load rating, or else the young guy at Canadian Tire was mistaken; he told me 8 or 10 ply. That doesn't jive with the C load rating. Hmm

Maybe they come in more than one load rating, or else the young guy at Canadian Tire was mistaken; he told me 8 or 10 ply. That doesn't jive with the C load rating. Hmm

I'll check mine later, it should say on the side wall. I'll get a picture around 5pm, EST.

I'll check mine later, it should say on the side wall. I'll get a picture around 5pm, EST.

Right on, looking forward to it.
Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can find your axle code on the VIN sticker on the driver's side door.

Axle code / gear ratio chart is here: http://www.explorerforum.com/ntrprize/Axle.htm

You can put 235/75R15 tires on there with 3.08 gears, it will just be a little slower than if the truck has 3.27 gears. You may find 235/75R15's for less than 225/70R15's, if so, that's fine. If you find a set of 225/70R15's for a lot less, then go with those. Some people go with 235/75R15's because it looks a little better on the vehicle, gives a small lift, and the taller sidewall makes for a better ride.

My suggestion is to go with a major brand of tire, and buy them from a place that offers a free road hazard warranty, free flat repair, basically a place that will take care of you if anything happens to the tires, without charging you for every little thing along the way as if you didn't just buy brand new tires from them.

Most tires are technically "4-ply" (2 steel belts, 2 polyester belts), but are considered "6-ply" because the polyester runs from the sidewall to the tread, to the other sidewall, and they count the sidewall and tread areas as two different belts. Same goes for 8 and 10 ply tires.

BF Goodrich All-Terrain tires come in a LT235/75R15 and have an extra sidewall ply (so 3-ply sidewall instead of 2-ply) for extra toughness. They are a pretty good choice if you want an aggressive off-road tire, but still want something that is good on pavement. They are also less expensive than the Goodyear Wrangler Territory at Canada Tire (at least going by the website prices), quite a bit when you add up 4 tires. The BFG's are also snow-rated and should be an awesome winter tire, at least for the first few seasons when they have good tread.

I wouldn't suggest the Wrangler Territory unless you primarily use the Explorer off-road. The BFG All-Terrain is probably the most aggressive tire I would suggest for a vehicle that sees lots of pavement use, and only goes off-road every so often. You may want to shop around, as there are probably other tire stores with different brands that have brand-name all-terrain tires at even lower prices, and lots of those are even better suited to a vehicle that spends most of the time driving on paved roads, with some off-roading. If you use that mountain road fairly often in the Explorer, the BFG might be the way to go. The BFG AT just seems like a better choice at Canadian tire since it's a better on/off road tire than the GY, will work great in winter, and costs less. Most of the other less expensive tires seem to be highway treads.

If the forestry service maintains the road, they need to be informed ASAP that the rocks on that road are sharp enough to puncture tires. People riding in open vehicles like quads, dirt bikes, or even cyclists could be seriously injured, perhaps fatally so, if their vehicles' tires were suddenly punctured at speed and/or if they wipe out from being on loose rock, and they are thrown onto such sharp rocks.

I'm not saying they need to improve or pave the road, but it's one thing to just have basic loose gravel, it's quite another to have dangerously sharp rocks that are so sharp they can punture a truck tire, and that this is such a common occurence on this road that word has spread locally about it.

Back