• Register Today It's free!

Blower motor doesn't work

repodad

Reaction score
City, State
Chester, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 xlt sport
Hello all, first the blower motor only worked on high now it does not work at all. I have replaced the blower motor and still no go. any help would be grateful. Also my 4low does not work 4high does but the 4low light does not light up, any ideas? The vehicle is a 93 explorer sport. Again any help is grateful Thanks Victor

Most likely culprit is the blower motor resistor. It's the little platic housing on the main blower fan housing, they tend to crap out after that many years, symptoms are loss off fan speeds, mine only worked on high and low. You would also want to check the blower motor relay, just switch it with an other relay, if it works, wou've found the problem, if not, than its your resistor.

As for the 4x4 lo, I'd suggest searching here as it has been adressed, meanwhile you can check to see if the brown wire going into the Tcase is still attached, it allows the transfer case to go into 4lo...

Hello all, first the blower motor only worked on high now it does not work at all. I have replaced the blower motor and still no go. any help would be grateful. Also my 4low does not work 4high does but the 4low light does not light up, any ideas? The vehicle is a 93 explorer sport. Again any help is grateful Thanks Victor

Blower motor: start with the obvious and pull Fuse #30 (see Fuse locations for diagram). The blower motor resistor acts like a 3way light bulb to change the power for the low med and high speeds. When one of the filaments burns out it prevents that speed from working.. MAX speed on the other hand will always work since it by-passes the resistor pack and sends full power to the blower..

4low: You indicate 4high works, but 4low does not.. Has 4low ever worked, or is this vehicle new to you? Do you have the vehicle's operation manual and know how to engage 4low?

To see if the blower motor works, jump it with a direct 12V source. That's what I did when I replaced mine with a junkyard one to make sure it worked before I bought it.
Then if it works with a direct power source, then check/swap the relay and resistor as mentioned above. I also replaced these with scrap yard parts and have had no problems since.

4 lo....as mentioned above....probally the brown wire not attached, or the sensor attached to the brown wire gone bad. Try cutting it off and replace/solder a scrap yard one on to see if that fixes it. If it doesn't, maybe the control module in the rear drivers side wheel well is on the fritz.

Back