Trailer Brake Controllers Explained | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trailer Brake Controllers Explained

I found a great article on www.etrailer.com here.

Trailer Brake Controllers

An electric trailer brake controller is a device that supplies power from a vehicle to a trailer's electric brakes. There are two types of electric brake controllers - Time Delay Activated ("solid state") and Proportional ("pendulum style"). Although the controllers' methods are different, both types of controllers are very similar. Both allow the user to adjust output or braking power. Both have a pressure sensitive manual override trigger that can be used to apply the trailer brakes independent of the vehicle brakes. Both have the same wiring configuration.

Time Delay Activated

Solid state controllers are "enabled" by the brake pedal switch and apply a gradual voltage to the trailer's brakes using a Time Delay Circuit.
Advantages : Time Delayed controllers are inexpensive, have a low profile, and can be mounted on any angle (very user friendly).
Disadvantages: When towing (in most applications) with Hazard flashers on, the Digital Display will flash with the Hazard Flashers. If the Brake Control is set aggressively, pulsing may be felt in the trailer brakes. However the Pulse Preventer will isolate the Brake Control from the flashers and eliminate the flash/pulse situation.

Proportional

Pendulum Style Controllers are "enabled" by the brake pedal switch and "activated" by a Pendulum Circuit that senses the vehicle's stopping motion and applies a proportional voltage to the trailer's brakes. When properly adjusted the trailer will decelerate at the same speed as the tow vehicle. This increases braking efficiency and reduces brake wear.
Advantages: Pendulum style controllers operate well under adverse braking conditions and have a smooth braking action.
Disadvantages: Most inertia-activated controllers are bulky, more expensive, and must be mounted and calibrated level. The Tekonsha PRODIGY™ and Valley Odyssey™ proportional brake controllers are the exceptions to these disadvantages.

Wiring Configuration

Hitch Supplied Brake Controllers require 4 wire Connections:

1. Trailer Feed (usually blue) - This is the wire that supplies brake power for the controller to the 6-way or 7-way trailer connector at the back of the vehicle. Some vehicles with factory tow packages already have this wire run from under the dash to the rear of the vehicle. Otherwise, the wire is run along the underside of the vehicle and through the firewall to the desired Brake Control mounting location. To get through the firewall, sometimes a hole must be drilled. However, grommets or pre-existing holes are often available.

2. Ground (usually white) - This wire is connected from the brake controller to any reliable ground source.

3. Brake Switch (usually red) - This can be found near the top of the brake pedal. There are wires extending from the switch and using a test light, the wire that has power when the brake pedal is pressed down can be found. This wire is tapped into using a scotch lock.

4. Battery Power (usually black) - This is the connection that supplies power to the brake controller. Some vehicles with factory tow packages already have this wire run from under the dash to the battery with some kind of circuit protection. Otherwise, a wire must be run through the firewall and connected directly to the battery with an in line circuit breaker.

Generic Wiring Diagram

bc_wirediagram.gif

To provide assistance in the hardwiring of brake controllers, brake controller install kits are available. They provide the needed wire that runs the length of the vehicle to the trailer connector, as well as the trailer connector, fuses, and wire connectors. A kit is available for both 6-way and 7-way trailer connectors.

Recently vehicle manufacturers have started installing OEM harnesses under the dash. Adapters are made that will connect to the brake controller and plug into the harness. If the tow vehicle is equipped with a tow package and has a factory installed 7-Way trailer connector then a brake control adapter may be all that is needed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2003 trl brake controller

does anyone know what the plug under the dash looks like for the the brake controller harness on an 03 explorer xlt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've also been looking on my 05. I have the tow package and the six pin connector with no clue where it plugs in...
Edit-after reading paper with harness in 04-05 it is behind the glove box torwards the radio...

Under dash connector

I've got the full tow package for my Ex and no where can be found the so-called 6 or 7-pin brake connector under the driver's side dash.

That said, I did find a 13-pin female connector with multi-colored wiring...blue, purple, black, yellow, red, red w/ white stripe...etc...not plugged into anything.

This can't be what I'm looking for, is it?

I found mine behind the glovebox, up to the left... Remember there's a blank plugged in it

Not in the '97...just looked.

2003 Lincoln Aviator

On the Aviator, it's above the gas pedal.

The paper that came with the plug indicated it was above the glove box but it sn't

Does anyone have a 2012 Explorer who has installed a P3 controller? In October 2011 when I ordered this vehicle I included the factory trailer harness (7 and 4 wire) along with the Class III hitch anticipating pulling a small trailer.

Now for my issue, I understand that the factory wiring harness has a connector for the brake controller somewhere under the dash. Some tell me its near the left side, some near the center console and some near the right passenger side. Does any one know exactly where the factory trailer wiring harness connector is located under the dash in a 2012 Explorer Limited 4WD?

I have remove the lower panel under the steering wheel and tried to find it. No joy. I pulled the side step over plate and the carpeting on the right passenger side (where the major wiring harness is located) and couldn't find it. Some information said it is located near the radio in the console.

I am hoping that a forum member can help me before I resort to going to my Ford dealer to have him connect up the cable (p/n 3035) I purchased from Teknosha along with the P3 brake controller.

Thanks, Joe

Good Info on Brake Controller: Found My Pig Tail for Factory Wiring

Last week I posted a note on locating the factory brake controller pig tail on my 2012 Explorer. Well after searching for it I finally decided to go to the local Ford Dealer and ask. They were sympathetic and the Service Advisor looked at my vehicle and said "I think it is located in the center console stack where the radio is just behind the left hand panel. The dealer was booked up and couldn't assign a tech to find it. I ask him if there was a local place that could help me. He send me to H&H Truck and Accessories in Pelham, Alabama as they install hitches, controller, etc.
I went there and asked if they could find the pig tail for me. One of their mechanics found it in about 2 minutes. It was located above the parking brake on the left of the drivers side. Not where the Ford dealer said.

So for all of those who have a 2012 Explorer with the factory towing package, the pig tail is located above the parking brake. H&H didn't even have to remove the panel below the steering wheel or the panel on the left side where the headlight control is located. He just reached up and found it. Guess he has done this several times. It took only a minute to plug in the wiring harness (Teknosha p/n 3035-P) to the female plug in the vehicle and the to the P3 controller which I mounted just forward of the drivers right knee, where many have mounted brake controllers.

Now I am ready to hitch up my camper and set all the options on the P3 and enjoy safe trailering.

Joe

I didn't have the issues installing the controller that many of you did. The dealer installed it as part of my purchase of the camper. Its a Tekonsha(sp?) voyager.

I am going to have to mount the plug inside the bumper as MountaineerGreen did however. The techs mounted in in a bracket that is attached to the bottom of my receiver.. and the receiver is lower than I like! So... what would be the best way to make that hole? A hole saw made for a wooden door? or using a die grinder?

Got it done. Hole saw worked great. thanks for the inspiration.

20160301_150928_zpshy6gijcw.jpg

The more I read this thread, and the more I see Brake Controllers mentioned in other threads the more I decided this should be stickied. Its good info.

Good Info on Brake Controller: Found My Pig Tail for Factory Wiring

Last week I posted a note on locating the factory brake controller pig tail on my 2012 Explorer. Well after searching for it I finally decided to go to the local Ford Dealer and ask. They were sympathetic and the Service Advisor looked at my vehicle and said "I think it is located in the center console stack where the radio is just behind the left hand panel. The dealer was booked up and couldn't assign a tech to find it. I ask him if there was a local place that could help me. He send me to H&H Truck and Accessories in Pelham, Alabama as they install hitches, controller, etc.
I went there and asked if they could find the pig tail for me. One of their mechanics found it in about 2 minutes. It was located above the parking brake on the left of the drivers side. Not where the Ford dealer said.

So for all of those who have a 2012 Explorer with the factory towing package, the pig tail is located above the parking brake. H&H didn't even have to remove the panel below the steering wheel or the panel on the left side where the headlight control is located. He just reached up and found it. Guess he has done this several times. It took only a minute to plug in the wiring harness (Teknosha p/n 3035-P) to the female plug in the vehicle and the to the P3 controller which I mounted just forward of the drivers right knee, where many have mounted brake controllers.

Now I am ready to hitch up my camper and set all the options on the P3 and enjoy safe trailering.

Joe

:hammer:
Wow. You took all the sport out of me trying to ask the same exact thing!
I'm looking for a PLUG, and not just a wiring harness? :redexplorer:

Hi, I have a 2006 Explorer Limited with the tow package. I’m planning on purchasing the Tekonsha Prodigy 3 brake controller off Amazon. Does anyone know the correct wire adapter to for the brake controller to connect to the 2006 Explorer?

I’ve never installed a brake controller before. Is it just plug in, mount the brake controller, check settings and go?

Thanks for any help, advice, suggestions,etc. I’ve posted the link to the brake controller I plan to purchase below.

Tekonsha 90195 P3 Electronic Brake Control https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P17NXQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_9OZzDbM5ATMXM

I believe that if your truck has the factory installed tow package, then all you need to do is look for a pigtail with a tekonsha plug on one end and a Ford plug in the other end. I'd see if you can get one from tekonsha. Then find the Ford plug under the dash and plug it in.

once you get the pigtail, if i remember correctly, the plug on the explorer is under the dash by the emergency brake on the 4th gen. it's not that hard to see..

Good evening, all.

I'm looking to install a brake controller on my 97 Mountaineer that I've not found specific discussion about. However, this is the right section.

I don't care to install an underdash unit like a Tekonsha or similar. However, there's a nifty little guy that would have the controls fit though the cigarette lighter hole and the electronics behind the dash:

Redarc Tow-Pro Elite Trailer Brake Controller - 1 to 3 Axles - Proportional Redarc Brake Controller

Has anyone experimented with or seen this unit?

Thanks,
Russell

I've seen them advertised and seen write ups in trailer Life magazine, though I've never used them. It seems to be a pretty good unit.

Back