• Register Today It's free!

OD OFF light blinking

Todd~Rod

Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT
I have a question, hoping someone has some answers, it doesnt happen all the time but from time to time while driving my OD OFF light will start blinking real fast. My explorer has been shifting a little funny lately too. When i come to a sudden stop and go to pull out its like its stuck in between a gear then jerks and takes off. what can i do to fix it or what are my issues. i was thinking about changing the tranny fluid and filter and putting lucas in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Some Causes........

I have a question, hoping someone has some answers, it doesnt happen all the time but from time to time while driving my OD OFF light will start blinking real fast. My explorer has been shifting a little funny lately too. When i come to a sudden stop and go to pull out its like its stuck in between a gear then jerks and takes off. what can i do to fix it or what are my issues. i was thinking about changing the tranny fluid and filter and putting lucas in.

Starting up front: If the torque converter clutch (TCC) fails to engage, or locks in engagement, or becomes inconsistent, the "O/D OFF" light is made to blink as a warning.

One can diagnose this problem fairly consistently by observing 2 things: first, at constant road speed, say, 50 mph, the tachometer will indicate higher than normal rpms. Depressing the "O/D OFF" button manually at that speed will cause an increase in tach reading, as the transmission shifts out of overdrive gear; depressing it again will result in the tach reading returning to it's previous, slightly too high reading. Such results indicate the TCC is not engaging. A trouble code reading will confirm this.

In the event engagement of O/D gear fails, this also will cause flashing of the "O/D OFF" light.

Continuing to drive the vehicle while the TCC is not engaging will increase fuel consumption by several percent, but probably not harm the transmission. We just drove our '04 home to Missouri from Nevada with a non-engaging TCC.

Draining of fluid, especially if the transmission has high mileage, MIGHT loosen up a sticking TCC solenoid, and solve the problem. There are 4 or 5 trouble codes covering the TCC which give indication whether the cause is likely the solenoid, signal from PCM (computer), or the clutch itself. imp

When this happened to my '97, it was the torque converter.

'97 Diagnostics

When this happened to my '97, it was the torque converter.

I believe the diagnostics in '97 did not yet allow the PCM (computer) to differentiate between the several possible causes for a non-functioning torque converter clutch. The commonest failure causes, clutch failure, clutch solenoid failure, signal loss to the solenoid, are now "looked at" by the PCM.

The reason was, the newer transmissions, namely the 5R55S, have speed sensors which compare the converter (trans. input shaft) speed to the engine speed. If these speeds are identical under the correct road conditions (i.e., cruising at about 50mph), that means the clutch is engaged. If engine speed is higher than trans. input shaft speed, the torque converter clutch is not engaged.

2 other speed sensors mounted on the transmission allow the PCM to monitor internals, and allow analysis of various failure modes. imp

i have a 99 my o.d light dont come on at all but it isnt reved hi at highway speed

I believe the diagnostics in '97 did not yet allow the PCM (computer) to differentiate between the several possible causes for a non-functioning torque converter clutch. The commonest failure causes, clutch failure, clutch solenoid failure, signal loss to the solenoid, are now "looked at" by the PCM.

The reason was, the newer transmissions, namely the 5R55S, have speed sensors which compare the converter (trans. input shaft) speed to the engine speed. If these speeds are identical under the correct road conditions (i.e., cruising at about 50mph), that means the clutch is engaged. If engine speed is higher than trans. input shaft speed, the torque converter clutch is not engaged.

2 other speed sensors mounted on the transmission allow the PCM to monitor internals, and allow analysis of various failure modes. imp

I'm just telling him what happened to mine when the OD light started blinking. It turned out to be the torque converter, we got it fixed, and it's been fine since.

I'm just telling him what happened to mine when the OD light started blinking. It turned out to be the torque converter, we got it fixed, and it's been fine since.

Understood! Just wanted to say, the newer stuff allows pinpointing the problem more closely, without tearing everything apart to find the cause. imp

Understood! Just wanted to say, the newer stuff allows pinpointing the problem more closely, without tearing everything apart to find the cause. imp

Gotcha. :thumbsup:

tachometer up to 3500, vibration in gas pedal

Ok I need help and i cant see to read all the post surrounding this issue so i am posting this message with the hopes that all the replies are in one spot. 1999 explorer limited, shift from 1-2 i can tell but get stuck there and cant seem to drive any faster than 55. if i push it tach goes to 3500, gas pedal starts vibrating and more than often the o/d off lights start flashing. i have been pulling over and restarting the car, but it gets annoying because it does it again about every bleeping 10 miles i drive and i work 32 miles from home. so i need good, solid advice fast so this car doesn't leave me on a dark freeway anytime.

Ok I need help and i cant see to read all the post surrounding this issue so i am posting this message with the hopes that all the replies are in one spot. 1999 explorer limited, shift from 1-2 i can tell but get stuck there and cant seem to drive any faster than 55. if i push it tach goes to 3500, gas pedal starts vibrating and more than often the o/d off lights start flashing. i have been pulling over and restarting the car, but it gets annoying because it does it again about every bleeping 10 miles i drive and i work 32 miles from home.

so i need good, solid advice fast so this car doesn't leave me on a dark freeway anytime.Keep driving it as it is, not a good idea, but IF cause is nothing more than a stuck 2-3 shift solenoid, all the harm will be LOTS of gas burned, (maybe!).

You really need to check trouble codes to at least get a handle on the problem. Auto-Zone or any big parts storer can do this for you, free! Then let us know what the codes are.....imp ....

I have a 99 Explorer XLS again I am having the same problem OD light flashing and not engaging, tried using to disengage but nothing happens even after more than one try. It first started with engine RPM dropping 400 rpm then back up again over and over for five minutes then the blinking light. I am also hearing an increasing growling sound that I thought it was bearing but it is not.

I have a 99 Explorer XLS again I am having the same problem OD light flashing and not engaging, Do not understand. What is not engaging?
tried using to disengage but nothing happens even after more than one try. Tried using WHAT to disengage what? Do not understand.
It first started with engine RPM dropping 400 rpm then back up again over and over for five minutes then the blinking light. Under what conditions did this happen? imp
I am also hearing an increasing growling sound that I thought it was bearing but it is not.
/////////////////

My daughter's 2000 has the blinky O/D light, when she pulls over and turns the vehicle off then on it goes back to normal.

My daughter's 2000 has the blinky O/D light, when she pulls over and turns the vehicle off then on it goes back to normal.

This fault is likely due to failure of the Torque Converter Clutch to be engaged when the computer tells it to do so. The flashing light thus will not begin doing so, until the speed of the vehicle is high enough, usually about 40mph with light throttle demand, and the computer commands the clutch to engage, and detects that it has not engaged. This little trick is achieved by comparing relative speeds of the engine and transmission's internal shafts.

A mechanically-oriented driver will usually notice by the tachometer that engine speed is a bit higher than normal. However, a lady driver unfamiliar with such detail probably would not. No abnormal noises, lack of smoothness, or other tip-off will be present, just higher engine speed than normal.

Harmful? Generally, no. I drove my 2004 home to Missouri from Nevada last year with a non-functioning Torque Converter Clutch, O/D light flashing itself silly for almost 2,000 miles. Used a bit more fuel than normal, no other problems. At home, I ordered a new solenoid module, which contains the T.C.C. solenoid, on E-bay for $85, installed it myself, and the trans. has worked fine since, no flashing light!

Have someone with code reading capability check for trouble codes-- an aftermarket codereader like Auto-Zone sells will not read transmission codes, only "Check Engine" codes. If it says "TCC solenoid failure", or such, ya got the problem half-licked! imp ;)

Yeah, I have a Cen-Tech code reader from HF and it won't read tranny codes.

And the reader that Autozone uses likely won't read it either?

Her trans also has the dreaded 1-2 shift problem. Where does the solenoid attach? (I have a '03 Sport Trac that I believe has the same trans.)

Yeah, I have a Cen-Tech code reader from HF and it won't read tranny codes.

And the reader that Autozone uses likely won't read it either?

Her trans also has the dreaded 1-2 shift problem. Where does the solenoid attach? (I have a '03 Sport Trac that I believe has the same trans.)

First, there are a BUNCH of solenoids involved. The 4R55E transmission has 6; my 2004 5R55S has 8 of them. So, the answer involves knowing WHICH transmission is in use here. Not sure for your year, which one is used; you need to determine that.

The solenoids are mounted to the Control Valve Body, within the transmission, accessible by removing the oil pan. The earlier units, like 4R44E, 4R55E, have individually-mounted solenoids, replaceable invidually. The later 5-speed transmissions, 5R55W or S have a solenoid module as they call it, which has ALL the solenoids mounted permanently on the module. So, if one of those FAILS, they ALL wind up being replaced, not a bad thing, really, as the module is only several times the cost of the individual solenoids.

Please be aware, these solenoids are CONSTANTLY being worked while the vehicle is in use; they control Torque Converter Clutch (engage/disengage), shifts 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 4-5, .... hydraulic pressure control also. So, replacing ALL of them at once is not such a bad idea........

Hey guys, I hope you can help me too. I'm having similar problems with my friend's car. It is a 2002 Explorer 4x4 automatic. I don't know the transmission number (4R55E or 5R55S), but I can check that if you'd like. I'm not familiar with explorers, therefore some of the symptoms that I indicate here may be normal operation. I used an OBD2 reader and I have no codes stored

Problems:

1- The O/D light is flashing very rapidly. It starts flashing some 5 to 10 seconds after starting the car, even without shifting out of P. It shifts fine through all the gears though, including overdrive. I get around 2200 rpms at 70 mph. If I hit the O/D button, the car down shifts and rpms get at around 3000.

2-There's a little bit of jerk when shifting the gears, which I think will go away with a transmission fluid change.

3- Sometimes it seems that the shift is not as fast as it should be. There's kind of a delay when up shifting and especially down shifting. When I floor the gas pedal, it takes some 2-3 seconds to down shift.

4- There's a delay when shifting from R to D. It doesn't engage right away, it takes some 2-3 seconds to engage.

What do you guys think the problem is?

Thanks

Todd view my New Member post, or all of them and you'll see I'm having the same issues with 1 or now both of them. I'm crazy with not knowing how to save my trucks.......

Can you please tell me where this.... Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid is if not on the valve body... Just replace my whole vb w/solenoids yesterday with a rebuilt one but the light still blinks and is driving me crazy! Check engine light is next an Auto Zone reader said it was my Oxygen sensors, S E N S O R 'S' How many are there!?!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can you please tell me where this.... Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid is if not on the valve body... Just replace my whole vb w/solenoids yesterday with a rebuilt one but the light still blinks and is driving me crazy! Check engine light is next an Auto Zone reader said it was my Oxygen sensors, S E N S O R 'S' How many are there!?!

The solenoids are mounted on the valve body. I fail to understand how oxygen sensor malfunction could cause a trouble code-producing "O/D OFF" light turn on. imp

Back