Questions about 5.0 swapped Ranger | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Questions about 5.0 swapped Ranger

extra-medium

Reaction score
City, State
Charlottesville, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mercury Mountaineer
I have the chance to buy a 1996 Ranger with a speed density 5.0 mustang motor swapped into it. The guy is asking $1800 and is willing to take payments since I don't have the cash laying around. He said it needs some work to get past inspection here in Maryland. I used to have an 1987 Mustang LX 5.0 that was speed density, but I am not sure how much emissions stuff was on it. My question is would it be a worthwhile truck to buy? It was originally a column shift auto, but is now a floor shift auto, and he said it looks like the brake peddle has been moved over to the left a little bit. I am going to look at it sometime this week. Is there anything I should look out for other than the obvious things? Also does this seem like a decent buy since I don't have a ton of money to dump into it to get it to pass inspection? I can do little things here and there and hopefully get it through within a couple months of buying it, but I don't want to sit on it for a while while I drop tons of money into it. Thanks for any input in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like a cool truck, and I get why you want it.
But, it needs work, and if you don't have the money or the skills to get it to pass, I'd look for something else, something stock.

..X2..^^^^

...and the way it is put together it may never pass smog unless you redo a lot of wiring and such..could be a money pit and possibly why he may be selling it..:(

It would have to have a 96 or newer computer to pass smog. You would have to convert it to explorer electronics, swap back to obd2 and who knows what was hacked in the swap in the first place. I would keep looking unless you wanted a money pit.

On a side not I am using a 97 computer in my 01 ranger. I don't have emissions testing here so don't have an issue.

Hmm.. I didn't even think about the computer. I am gonna go check it out tomorrow and see what it might need. By the sounds of it I may pass on it, but I at least want to see it.

I checked it out and it is a nightmare. Rats nest of wiring, no emissions equipment at all, exhaust leaks, and too many other things to list that would need to be fixed to pass inspection. Definitely a track truck.

Back