2006 Explorer Towing Capacity | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Explorer Towing Capacity

Our 2006 Explorer (4.6L V8) shows it has a 12000# GCVW and a Maximum Trailer Capacity of 7300# - we have the manufacturer towing package with Class III Hitch. We are looking at a Salem T23 with an unloaded vehicle weight (UVW) of 3820# and GVWR of 7420#. We don't plan on EVER adding 3600# of stuff to get to the max. Can we pull this trailer with out Explorer (adding a weight distri)? I realize we'll add weight with LP and other personal stuff but we don't plan on loading water as we'll travel only to sights that have water and elect. Any guidance?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Typical loaded trailer weight over dry is about 600-800 lbs. Figure 1000 lbs if you want to be conservative for hauling bikes, firewood, etc. That includes your stuff, and anything not included as standard equipment from the factory (for example, battery, LP, maybe A/C, etc).

Enjoy your trailer!!

PS - I'm looking in the 4500-4700 lbs dry range, trying to keep myself at around 11,000 lbs GCVW.

PPS - Class III is only good for 5000 lbs. If you have the factory tow package, it's considered class III/IV. I think they say that becuase you are good for 5000lbs (500 TW) in weight carry mode (which is class 3), or 7300/730 lbs in weight distribution mode.

Thanks - that's about what I was thinking. Not even my wife can come up with more than 1000 lbs of junk to load. It does have the III/IV factory hitch so I knew I could pull more than 5000. I just wanted to see what others thought of my idea working from dry weight up rather than purely pulling the full 7400 GVW of the trailer. I'll never get to that from 3800 unloaded - even if I do take on some water. Thanks for your reply.

The important thing to note is that you don't need "1000 lbs of junk" to be 1000 lbs over dry weight.

Almost no campers will ever weigh what the dry weight says, because most campers come wiht some options.

In other words, that 3800 lbs dry camper probably weighs at least 4000 lbs sitting empty on the lot. You're still fine. But just keep this in mind, especially if you every decide to get something larger.

Hi Im new on this forum,but Im a long time Ford guy.I have an escape pulling a small pop up but have just bought a fiberglass Casita 17ft travel trailer. The rigged Escape is to small to pull the Casita safely and Im looking for what i think will be a great tv, In a 06 Explorer.I'm in Colorado and the mileages on the 06 models Ive seen are up around 60-90,000. Id like the 4.6 v8 and would like to know from others what to expect from a 06 with high miles.maybe its not worth the effort on the 06 and I should look at the 07-08 4.0 v8. im looking for opinions here thanks

Good call on not towing a full height trailer with your Escape. Even if it's light enough, it can't handle the frontal area.

If the Casita is light enough (you didnt' say), a 4.0L V6 Explorer with tow package might handle it. But you being in Colorado, Ford recommend reducing MAX tow capacity and GCVWR by 2% per 1000 ft above sea level.

Watching for a V8 with tow package is probably a good idea with that in mind. Getting at least a 2006 or newer will save on fuel, due to the 6-speed auto transmission and ability to keep the 3.55 rear gearing, even with the tow package.

thebrakeman, thanks. I saw a mountaineer with v8 and an explorer with 4.0 v6 and 3.73 gears, both newer I think 07-08 at carmax. What do you think about those options. My Casitas is a 17' liberty deluxe. dry weight is 2950, loaded and half a tank of water its 3200. tongue weight guess is 400lbs as the tanks and crapper are more up front by design.By the way is the 4.6 v8 offered at all after 07? thanks for the help

thebrakeman, thanks. I saw a mountaineer with v8 and an explorer with 4.0 v6 and 3.73 gears, both newer I think 07-08 at carmax. What do you think about those options. My Casitas is a 17' liberty deluxe. dry weight is 2950, loaded and half a tank of water its 3200. tongue weight guess is 400lbs as the tanks and crapper are more up front by design.By the way is the 4.6 v8 offered at all after 07? thanks for the help
Good rule of thumb is to plan on 800 lbs over dry weight on most campers. This accounts for anything not standard from the factory (LP tanks, battery, spare tire, A/C, etc), plus your luggage. Could be more or less. So consider your loaded trailer at 3800 lbs (?). My Mountaineer is around 5150 empty. But it's loaded. V6 Explorer could be 4800 (?). That's 8600 lbs. Throw in your family, and the dog, and you could be around 9500 lbs. V6 with tow package has a combined rating (GCVWR) of 10,000 lbs, so technically you are OK. But, being in the mountains, you need to deduct 2% for every 1000 lbs of elevation. So you are borderline at best.

Also, V6 with tow package will get worse gas mileage than the V8. The V6-5speed gets the 3.73 rear end with the tow package, which hurts gas mileage. But the V8-6 speed keeps the 3.55 rear end with or without the tow package. These 2 powertrains get the same gas milesage with 3.55 gearing. But the 3.73 kills it for the V6.

If that Mountaineer V8 has the factory class III/IV tow package, get it. You know they have the package if it has the larger 2" receiver. If the V8 has the smaller receiver, it's limited to 3500 lbs, just like the V6.

Back