trailers lets see them!!!! | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

trailers lets see them!!!!

i do a ton of camping, 4-5 trips a year. I am so sick and tired of putting up and taking down the tent that i am going to build a teardrop trailer. What do you guys think? I will probably need a trailer with at least a 1,500lbs capacity to start.

These photos are not mine, but this build up will give you the basic idea
The Truck with a Heart

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is my tow rig, thats my 03' Mach 1 on the trailer getting ready for some track time.

sickmach003.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Nice:D Both myself and Jdraper, one of our moderators also own '04 Mach 1s:D

71front1.jpg

Nice:D Both myself and Jdraper, one of our moderators also own '04 Mach 1s:D

71front1.jpg

Yea your Mach is nice. I think I have seen you guys on the registry.

2TimingTom, Don't feel too bad, My Expedition with the 5.4 liter struggles above 8,000 feet. At 8,900 feet pulling a 10% grade I was floored going 35 mph. No horsepower at those elevations.

I just got mine regeared and uh........ problem solved. Just took it out this weekend up near Pikes Peak and had no issues. It still works hard, but the speedo needle can go upward with the elevation now.

3.55 to 4.56. Not exactly cheap ($850 installed), but it made a world of difference.

And nice Jayco. Before I read the description I recognized it as a Jayco.

We were talking this weekend about maybe upgrading to some kind of travel traveler.

Our 16' 1963 (Model 16S) Yellowstone and the 95 Quest we used to tow it with. The Quest got totaled a few years ago and I have been without a tow vehicle until last Friday when I picked up my 1999 Explorer.

Believe it or not, we towed the trailer with the Quest (carefully) for many years with regular hitch and no brakes. Then we finally got a proper 7 way connection on the trailer and van and had P3 brake control installed in the Quest along with a weight distributing hitch. We then took a trip out to MI for the annual Tin Can Tourist Vintage RV Rally.

After the Quest was totaled, I salvaged the P3 and will have it installed in the Explorer. Too bad the 1999 Explorer is not pre-harnessed for the brake controller.

I'm sure towing the Yellowstone with a 5.0 L V8 Explorer will be cake compared to the V6 FWD Quest.

63YellowstoneCamping.JPG

63%20Yellowstone%202002.JPG

1963 Brochure:

http://www.vintage-yellowstone.com/PDF/1963 Yellowstone Brochure.pdf

Explorer1.jpg

It's been up here before, but she's gotten new marker lights :D

dsc02161small.jpg

dsc02165small.jpg

dsc02167small.jpg

dsc02164rn.jpg

And the power block

dsc02171small.jpg

That sir looks damn fine.:thumbsup: Complete the look down the rear tailgate and that Is one damn good looking light set up there. I would love to see some full top to bottom LED brake lights. Expensive as hell but they look the part.

attachment.php

My exploder towing my boat. It's a 22' wellcraft cuddy. I think it weighs about 5000lbs. I need to weigh it to be sure though.

That sir looks damn fine.:thumbsup: Complete the look down the rear tailgate and that Is one damn good looking light set up there. I would love to see some full top to bottom LED brake lights. Expensive as hell but they look the part.

I would like to do that but the LED strips are about as bright as brake lights. So I don't want to cause confusion and/or get pulled over. Thanks for the compliment too! :)

my atv trx450r. my friend's kx250r 2stroke
460340_4017295199519_549906613_o.jpg

i borrow my dad's atv. i went hunting last year.
330140_2536699585554_1322911545_o.jpg

Here's a pic of our new Jayco hybrid travel trailer. Towed it back from Cincy to home, about a 3 1/2 hour drive. The Explorer (base model), did fine on the interstate and going up some pretty good hills.

I have the Equalizer WDH with integrated sway control and brake control.

Here is a pic of it on it's maiden camping trip on the way back from the RV dealer.

043vo.jpg

^^Any clue as to what that trailer weighs? I could look but......

Our popup is fun but we think we'd like to look into getting something more like the hybrid up above. Once we get to camp, I spend a bunch of time setting up the trailer, and then a bunch of time tearing it down. The hybrids are a bit more ready to go as soon as you get to camp- pull out the beds and maybe set up a few things here and there.

^^Any clue as to what that trailer weighs? I could look but......

Our popup is fun but we think we'd like to look into getting something more like the hybrid up above. Once we get to camp, I spend a bunch of time setting up the trailer, and then a bunch of time tearing it down. The hybrids are a bit more ready to go as soon as you get to camp- pull out the beds and maybe set up a few things here and there.

TT..... According to the Jayco brochure we have, the unloaded weight of the unit we have is a little over 3900 lbs. Jayco also makes a smaller model of the one we have and it is rated at 3610 lbs. We opted for the larger model mainly because of the extra counter space! You know women need that!

Here is our 2011 Explorer towing our 25 foot 2012 Jayco Jay feather ultra light, trailer weighs 4450 Lbs fully loaded. Spent 23 nights so far this summer and have traveled around 3000 kms with it. We are averaging about 10 mpg going across everything from flat land to the Canadian rockies. Wish summer was not coming to an end so soon, could use another week or two of camping. Ryan

http://db.tt/vNganqrj

Wish summer was not coming to an end so soon, could use another week or two of camping. Ryan

I am looking forward to summer ending. I need to get my ride back out and go snow drift romping again.:party::crazy:

I am quite impressed by your trailer as well as some of the other ones I have seen since the start of this thread. You all have inspired me into looking bigger. I am still on the hunt for a camping trailer as the one I was using did not have the ground clearance for Pismo Beach. It dragged in the sand and would hit every time I crossed the creek.

My 2000 with the Chris Craft
IMG_4259No.jpg

And my 2000 getting retrieved after the starter motor failed in a parking lot
photo3-1.jpg

Latest trailer. Horse trailers are getting to be a very good value. Bought this for half what it cost last year. Three horse slant load with tack room and all the goodies. It looked like heck when I went to look at it, but I could tell all it needed was a little elbow grease and a good scrubbing. Looked like it had been parked the past few years.
DSCF3153_Medium_.jpg

I changed out the rear brake/tail lamps to LED's with reflectors instead of the grommets, fixed all the ground issues on the clearance lights, installed two round loading lights inside the horse area, a porch light, a 12 volt outlet in the tack room, back-up lights, a camera so we can see what the horses are doing going down the road, and serviced the axles since the seller did not remember when it was last done. Am glad I serviced the axles because they looked like they had the original grease and the bearings were starting to dry out. Did not like the look of one inner bearing, which I replaced. Also replaced three sections of floor that had started to rot out due to the trailer sitting in the same position for a long time.
Pulls very smooth behind my 1500 Silverado (I know its not a Ford, but sometimes it pulls a Ford:D).
Took it to the insurance office for the inspection prior to insuring it, and the agent appraised it at $2500.00 more than I paid.

Forgot to mention the best modification of all, I added a "Serious Explorations" license plate frame!!!! Now it matches my other vehicles.
2012-08-15_18-18-18_9.jpg

Here's my tow...

8201979918_8b0d4e91cf_c.jpg

Back