Expedition transmission upgrade during rebuild? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Expedition transmission upgrade during rebuild?

GJarrett

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Chief GPS'um and Still Lost Native Texan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 EB 4x4 "Herc" RIP
My Explorer is having too much trouble hauling my large boat, and I am looking for an Expedition that will do a better job.

I have found an '08 Eddie Bauer Expy for sale with heavy duty tow package and 3.73 gears that I will look at this weekend.

It is my understanding that in '09 Ford improved the 2008's 6R75 tranny (redesignating it the 6R80) with beefed up internals and software reprogramming that replaces the overdrive lockout with a tow/haul mode with uphill/downhill shift logic that improves performance while towing or hauling heavy loads.

The Expy I am looking at has over 100,000 miles and possibly needs a tranny rebuild. My question is this: is it possible to easily upgrade it to 6R80 specs while rebuilding it? Is it just a simple matter of replacing 6R75 innards with beefier 6R80 innards and controllers? Is the software reprogramming something stored in the 6R80's controllers on the transmission, or is it a complicated affair that would require changing other codes in other computers in the vehicle?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :)

Back