• Register Today It's free!

factory radio mix

floater180

Reaction score
City, State
manhattan, il.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 sport trac limited 4
I have a 2007 sport trac that I'm looking to replace the head unit because the display doesn't light up anymore, the radio works for all inputs but I can't tell what's on. so I have been looking on ebay for used factory radios, found lots of them, my radio has #7a2t-18c815-bk it takes 3 plugs ( extra plug for subwoofer)but how can I be sure others that look like it will work.. of course I assume the first 4 id numbers are for model year and week, then the middle 5 are for size and the last 2 are for controls, like steering wheel control buttons and maybe the rear DVD player which I have too. anyone know how to decipher the id code or know which other part number will also work. anything would be a great help! thanks...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why not go after market?
It'll be a nice upgrade in the 07.

+1 on the aftermarket suggestion. I just did that on my '98 with a JVC KWR910BT, 4 x Pioneer GS6844R's, and direct replacement sub K'wood Excelon KFC-XW800F. Very happy. All directions for pulling door panels, sub enclosure, etc. are here on the site. Took an afternoon, 'bout a 3 beer job.

It took me about 2 hours yesterday to put in my new head unit.. Wiring took 5 minutes.. cutting the dash to put in the new unit, without a dremel, took almost 2 hours. Jeez. I had to use a type of small hand saw to get through it, and even that took a while.
Finally got it in at midnight.. :)
It was my only 'free' night where I wasn't half asleep, so I just wanted to get that thing in.

Another +1 for aftermarket, it will be a huge upgrade as well. Depending on what you want to pay you can add Bluetooth, and even GPS if you got for a double din. Wiring is super easy, a lot of times it is plug and play, and even if you get confused you can ask here for help. As far as mounting go the kits make it easy, or you can go custom like I did so I can fit both my head unit and my CB right in the dash.

Have you tried to fix the display, there is a post on here how to do it. seems simple going to do it to my 06 EB

what radios have you replace your stock unit with? I have the subwoofer and steering control with the rear dvd player.

I used alpine, but with mine being a '96, I only had the factory sub. Not sure about keeping the dvd, but I know there are lots for the steering wheel controls.

Pioneer Double Din for me.

Back