2006 Explorer - My stock sub Replacement with Rockford 8" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2006 Explorer - My stock sub Replacement with Rockford 8"

CobraBronco

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
06' 4.6 EB
I’ve only had my truck for about a month. It has the factory Nav, with rear DVD. I was disappointed in the amount of bass that the stock sub put out.

I researched it a bit, and decided I would start with just replacing the stock subwoofer, keeping the existing amplifier and enclosure. I decided on the Rockford Fosgate Punch P3SD2-8. I went with this one because it was shallow mount, and also 2 ohm DVC, which I figured was a pretty close match to the factory subwoofer. I got it on Ebay for $108. I also bought a bag of poly fill to stuff the enclosure with.

I pulled apart the interior in the rear cargo area. Removed the amp from the enclosure, and then removed the box.
Rearspeak1.jpg

I pulled out the stock speaker, and sealed up the hole in the back of the box with a chunk of plastic and some JB Weld. After the JB Weld hardened, I pulled out the factory insulation, and stuffed the box with polyfill.

IMAG0476.jpg

IMAG0391.jpg

IMAG0527.jpg

IMAG0528.jpg

I test fit the new sub, and found a few extra holes in the box, that I sealed up with some RTV. I installed the new subwoofer, and grill, making sure everything was tight and sealed. I also put a bead of RTV around where the wires come out of the box.

IMAG0530.jpg

I put the box back in the truck, reinstalled the factory amp, and put the interior back together, and tested it out.

What a difference!! The bass is a lot louder and punchier than the stock sub. In my opinion, it is perfect for the truck, since I’m not losing any cargo space. It would probably sound a bit better with an aftermarket amp, but it’s still just a single 8” sub, so for what it is, I am very happy with it.

If you want a good bang for the buck upgrade, I’d highly recommend it.

-Sorry if some of the pictures are blurry.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice work. I did the same with mine, than decided it wasn't enough and cut the hole to fit a 10...hard to stop once you start upgrading :D

The next time you have the enclosure out you might try fiberglassing the outside of it a bit. It will stiffen up the enclosure and should provide a punchier response out of the sub. I fiberglassed alot of mine to get up to the cubic volume I needed, but I think just stiffening up the box had alot of impact.

hi

awesome se nup im looking to buy a stock enclosure with sub that will fit into my 1996 explorer if the old one fits and works do you want to sell it scott

Was there an option for a sub in the 04 Explorer?

what are the details of the stock one? also 2x2ohms, or 1.2ohmsx2? I think I read somewhere here that it is dual voice coil 1.2ohm?

I know this is an old thread, but how did you access the sub and what tools would I need to do the same?

what are the details of the stock one? also 2x2ohms, or 1.2ohmsx2? I think I read somewhere here that it is dual voice coil 1.2ohm?

The factory subwoofer has dual inputs, meaning it's dual voice coil. On the back of the sub it says (60w + 60w, 1.2ohm +1.2ohm).

Having a hard time finding a decent replacement that is DVC for such little power. This is the best I've found: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_2064CWD82/Kicker-40CWD82.html

I know this is an old thread, but how did you access the sub and what tools would I need to do the same?

It is more of a tedious process than I expected. To get to subwoofer:

1. Remove A and C pillar panels using butter knife, etc.
2. Remove T50 star bit holding passenger rear seat belt (I needed 3' breaker bar and PB Blaster for this)
3. Remove entire panel that covers subwoofer area (cannot just remove cover)
4. Remove the 3 bolts holding the subwoofer enclosure (I used 10mm socket)
5. Disconnect connection into amplifier (push on back of connector)
6. Remove entire subwoofer box from vehicle.
7. Remove the from back of enclosure that holds subwoofer (8mm)
8. Remove 8 screws from front of subwoofer (9/32)
9. Disconnect 4 wires from speaker terminals.

If you are replacing the subwoofer you will need to patch the hole in the back of the enclosure. I used epoxy putty to fill the hole. I would also recommend adding additional polyfill, and perhaps using some silicone to seal the new subwoofer.

Ours would be a little different from the 2nd gens. Be prepared to wrench in tight spaces because you have to unbolt the rear seats to gain access to that stupid seat beat bolt.
And you have to do the driver side first to gain access to the rear bolts that hold the passenget side. PIA.

It's not hard but just give yourself about 30 minutes just to take it apart.

Back