Turbo on 2000 Limited 5.0 | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Turbo on 2000 Limited 5.0

Turbo compressor map.gif
Well guys, I don't even have it yet and I'm looking at going turbo.

I think I'll be going STS style with the turbo underneath the the body. I'm hoping I can find room somewhere closer to the front to mount it. If not, I may just go classic style and cut the muffler out and install the turbo in its place.

Tim was kind enough to point me at a turbo for sale locally. I'm checking it out now. I sent the specs to James Henson to see what his thoughts are.

Here's the specs:
t4 F1-68 turbine .68 a/r housing 3" exhaust outlet with a 72mm compressor blade 4inch inlet, 2.5 inch outlet, journal bearing. Also, see compressor map attached. I have a vague understanding, and that concerns me.

Now, the next issue is oil routing.
Oil in to the turbo would be handled from a T off the oil pressure sending unit on the block. Return oil would need a scavenge pump to the top of the oil pan, or in the timing chain cover. The scavenge pump adds quite a bit of cost to the setup. I think saving a few bucks in this area would spell disaster. So, this seems to be the best pump out there:
http://turbowerx.com/Scavenge_Pumps/Exa-Pump/Exa-Pump.html
Stainless steel oil lines will have to be used. As I read about under cab mounted turbo's oil issues seem to be a huge issue. This is going to require careful thought and routing.

My real issue is routing the air filter and compressed air up to the engine bay.
The frame rails will be the the way. I saw one guy notched out his frame for the plumbing and re-enforced the frame by welding metal around the plumbing line (3 inch or 4 inch hole). I'm concerned about running the two pipes and think this will be the biggest challenge. I really don't want that air filter under the truck.
See what this guy did on his ranger?

As for Maf? Pro-M all the way, in a blow thru design.

Fuel pump, injectors, sct go without saying. I'll be having James put together a care package for me along with the Pro-M.
Aeromotive Stealth 340 pump
Bosch uscar (EV6) 60lb injectors part # 108191

I'll recycle my boost gauge and wide band o2 from my supercharged 4.0 ohv.

I'll be using stainless steel for everything under the truck as rust always seems to be an issue.

Also. intercooling. I learned from my last project that cool intake air is incredibly important. People say on under cabin turbo's you don't really need it as the compressed air cools on the way up. Not good enough for me. Im going to go air/water so I have flexibility as to where I mount the intercooler. This could change, but intercooling of some form is a must.

My eye's are watering at what this is going to cost.

I see 02Limited turbo'd his, but he must have had quite a few issues and fell off the forum.

Not much info on guys completing something like this to be found. All input appreciated.

This will be a long process.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

relocated slot maf.jpg
relocated slot maf

Well, another log has left the building.
This one is reading a/f and the slot maf has been relocated.
The pic is of the new location. Basically, I cut the slot maf bung off and flipped it the other way and had it re-welded. Then I could flip the tube around and get the maf further away from the bend going up in to the wheel well.

Still won't idle, but I'm sure hoping that this fixes the issue.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I had the same problem with the wideband. I originally had it wired into the acc circuit. I found out you can't do that.

Yup, I used LM programmer to look for what was happening. I saw that every time I tried to start the truck, the application would say 'warming up'. Then the light bulb lit in my head. Moved the hot from acc over to a constant hot, and there was a/f readings during start up. Perfect.

At least now the log should have useable information for James.

On the air filter location issue, Im going to pick up one of these:
https://www.siliconeintakes.com/aluminum-pipes/aluminum-pipe-p-777.html

You can't see it in the pic, but using this will let me rotate the pipe so that the filter will sit higher reasonably inexpensively. One of the goals here is to get the filter as high as possible so it has less risk of getting submerged going thru a puddle.

Well, another log has left the building.
This one is reading a/f and the slot maf has been relocated.
The pic is of the new location. Basically, I cut the slot maf bung off and flipped it the other way and had it re-welded. Then I could flip the tube around and get the maf further away from the bend going up in to the wheel well.

Still won't idle, but I'm sure hoping that this fixes the issue.

Am I wrong or is airflow from left to right in the above picture?

Downstream of the maf should not matter. Upstream turbulence is what does. I would want the maf to be 9" from the connection to the left.

I think the rule of thumb for MAF placement is 3 diameters downstream from any bend or obstruction.

However, if I read correctly that is the position it was in when turbulence was occurring. Now I'm confused. :D

Jon, your thinking was exactly the same as mine. That's why I originally put the maf closer to the right. I didn't think upstream turbulence would be an issue (unless I installed the maf perfectly in the turbulence).

Apparently we are both wrong. It should be really good where it is now though, because the intercooler will straighten the air right out as it heads to the maf.

Were all learning from this.

I saw that every time I tried to start the truck, the application would say 'warming up'. Then the light bulb lit in my head. Moved the hot from acc over to a constant hot, and there was a/f readings during start up. Perfect.

:scratch:

um.....i wounder if we did mine wrong? i know when i start my truck, the wideband will flash 7.4 for a few seconds, then the a/f will read. same with the red l.e.d. it will flash for a few seconds, then stay on. im having flashbacks here, from the total nightmare we had with mine..:(

your ok Tim.
If you ran the power to the battery, you would need it on a switch.
If you were having start up issues, and James needed to see the a/f ratio right at start up we would need to move it. Since the tuning is spot on during startup on your truck, there's no need to put yourself thru the misery of an added switch to turn the wideband on and off manually.

quick update on the tuning.

James set me a second base tuning file as I couldn't seem to get my truck to idle. On the first base tune I smelt a lot of gas.

Well, with the second base file I couldn't get the truck to idle either. James said he cant get any good readings unless I can get the truck up to 160 degree's so he can check fuel trims. So, just try to get a motor up to 160 degree's that won't idle. No fun.

So, I did manage to get it up to about 148, but of course I'm dealing with a dead battery at this point also. So in desperation, I tried re-uploading the first base tune file James sent me.

And....The truck did start and idle to about 164 degree's. whew....
And luckily, I did manage to capture this on a log as the truck died, and I couldn't start it again.

I'm really hoping that the log contains the info James needs. With the truck idling the a/f ratio was around 22.
I'm guessing the smell of gas with the first base file was probably gas on the lower intake from changing the injectors.

You could always boil water and put it in the radiator and fire it up.it will help get the motor up to temp faster ;)

But to me I think 60lbs are wayyy to big for a low boost stockish motor (if I read that right).but james knows his stuff so I wouldnt second guess him ;)

Jd, I was thinking of starting a fire under the block, that's how desperate I was to try to get the temp up. I worked at it for over an hour. start, stall, start, stall....repeat.

It turns out James was right on the first base file. He must get pretty frustrated not being with the vehicle to get the tuning started. I was kind of wondering what it would cost to trailer my truck to him (How desperate is that?) :) . I always wanted to see that part of the country.

These injectors don't look like 60 lbers. they have 4 small spray holes, so I think gas atomization will be fine at idle also. The way Tim's going, I might need the big injectors to keep up with him. I see an aftermarket dart block in the future so I can keep sight of hit tail lights.

Jd, I was thinking of starting a fire under the block, that's how desperate I was to try to get the temp up. I worked at it for over an hour. start, stall, start, stall....repeat.

It turns out James was right on the first base file. He must get pretty frustrated not being with the vehicle to get the tuning started. I was kind of wondering what it would cost to trailer my truck to him (How desperate is that?) :) . I always wanted to see that part of the country.

Lol

Hey rent a trailer and tow it down with the other explorer. Have him tune both in person...o and stop by here on the way back!!!;)

Lol

Hey rent a trailer and tow it down with the other explorer. Have him tune both in person...o and stop by here on the way back!!!;)

Honestly, I would love that.

I see an aftermarket dart block in the future .

see if there is a 2 for one deal ! :D

was wondering today how it was going. did know for sure if you were back or not

Yup, I'm kinda frustrated.
I'm sure James is a bit frustrated I can't get him use able information.
We will see how tomorrow's email from him goes. I sure hope I finally gave him something to work with. I'm sure once we can keep the truck running the tuning process will be way more fun for both of us.

This is not going well.
James is at a loss as to whats going on.

He has tuned many motors with a slot maf and 60lb siemens deka injectors. I installed my stock 19lb injectors and stock tune. Tim came over and we did a bit of troubleshooting. I still need to check for AC noise on the signal line of the slot maf, as Turdle suggested. Maybe that's whats going on?

I'm not sure I want to go to a local dyno for tuning as they will more than likely have a issue tuning also. Maybe they would be able to help troubleshoot though.

datalog

Can you send me a datalog?
I would like to see the problem.

lambda at engine start?

The PCM will be in open loop when the engine starts. James may have it set to stay in open loop for fuel tuning. You mentioned that your AFR was 22:1 which is pretty lean. Have you started the datalog before engine start (the ignition just needs to be on) and recorded STFT vs actual lambda at engine start? When in open loop STFT is the commanded lambda.

James wanted logs only of the engine at 160 degrees and up.
He wanted to see what the fuel trims were doing.
He just doesn't want to keep sending me logs as he thinks something else is wrong, but without looking at the truck he really doesn't know what to say. That's the difficulty in being 1600 miles away from each other.

I emailed James a request to get another slot maf. It might be a bit premature though. Im kinda flailing in different directions since I have no clear plan right now.

We have a local shop, and I spoke with the owner there. He requested I email him the specs of my motor and a brief description of components. He said he will have a look at it tonight.

The words 'Explorer' and 'rear mount turbo' really caught him off guard. He had to repeat it back to me to make sure he heard right. How funny is that?

was that drag mart? lol. i know the feeling. every time i mention what you and i have done to someone for the first time eyebrows get raised. lets hope james can figure something out, and doesnt charge you for another maf. i will say this out loud here. if he just dusts you off, i will not go back to him for any tuning. i will find another sct tuner.

datalog

Just with a quick look I see that your charging system looks like it is not working. Also the wideband is reading around 22 most of the time. That means there is a lot of oxygen in the exhaust. You probably have a misfire or two. If you had to remove the ignition wires they may have been crossed without noticing. Check them. Also is there any exhaust leaks?
Air flow looks pretty steady for the amount of rpm fluctuation I see 300 to 720 rpm's. Maf is probably OK now. It did go into closed loop, that's good.

Look for the reason for misfire.
Crossed wires (ignition, fuel injector?)
Do you have access to a noid light? , plugs into the injectors to see if they are all getting power and pulsing ground.

Back