02 Sport - Project | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 Sport - Project

Picked up a 2002 Explorer Sport 4x4 with 118,500 miles in early June.

I've had a few Rangers and a bunch of Fords.

Anyways, here is a project / picture thread for my current Explorer Sport.

Day I brought it home next to my Focus ST

IMG_20140614_184412.jpg

New tires and wheels (32x11.5R15 on 15x8 Rebel Racing Sahara)

IMG_20140717_194902%257E2.jpg

Old vs new (old were the 255/70R16)

IMG_20140719_172757.jpg

New meats installed (KYB Monomax shocks, AAL, Torsion Crank)

IMG_20140719_175957.jpg

IMG_20140719_180844%257E2.jpg

Started painting the plastics black

IMG_20140726_192330.jpg

Got the rear bumper painted

IMG_20140727_144812.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

92 views and no comments?

Picked up more paint last night to finish up the plastic. Won't be able to finish that until it comes back from the detailer.

Looks good, black is my favorite color on a vehicle. What are you plans for your 02 Sport?

What paint did you use for the plastics and the metal part of the bumper?

Looks good, black is my favorite color on a vehicle. What are you plans for your 02 Sport?

What paint did you use for the plastics and the metal part of the bumper?

Plans right now are just drive it. Eventually I'd like to do a Superlift and SOA conversion. The long term is a 5.0L swap as OEM as possible with a part time BW4406 electric shift.

As for paint, I used Rustoleum Rust Reformer on the metal bumper. The plastics are being sprayed with Krylon Dual Superbond Satin Black. So far what I have painted is holding up well, but it's only been about a week. The Rust Reformer should probably be painted over but I like the flat / satin contrast.

I've also painted the rust reformer behind all of the plastic panels to help prevent additional rust. I live in Ohio and they love to salt and brine the roads when the snow starts flying.

Yeah I hate when they put that stuff down on the roads. I think there are a few companies though that make undercoatings in a spray can. I prefer the 5.0 myself, RangerSVT swapped a 5.0, 4R70W into a 02 Sport Trac which is basically the same as the 01-03 Sport, just a truck version.

Great looking truck and progress. Looks a lot like mine, except my plastics are fading now after a couple years and could use a touch up eventually. Just painted my bumper yesterday after getting rear ended and went with the krylon gloss, kind of regretting it now because its too shiny for my liking

Yeah I hate when they put that stuff down on the roads. I think there are a few companies though that make undercoatings in a spray can. I prefer the 5.0 myself, RangerSVT swapped a 5.0, 4R70W into a 02 Sport Trac which is basically the same as the 01-03 Sport, just a truck version.

I would love to do so. I just don't want mine to be AWD, so the 4406 swap would be necessary. I think I've got plenty of life left in this 4.0, so it won't be for a while.

Great looking truck and progress. Looks a lot like mine, except my plastics are fading now after a couple years and could use a touch up eventually. Just painted my bumper yesterday after getting rear ended and went with the krylon gloss, kind of regretting it now because its too shiny for my liking

I just checked yours out. I'm interested in where you got the front hitch and how hard it was to install. I had one on my old Ranger that I custom built and don't want to have to do that again.

I got on here from a local member. He fabbed it up himself but I've seen some made up by companies, I forgot which ones exactly. I know he was going to fab school so if you get in contact with him he could probably make one up for you. His name was The Breeze, you could look him up.
As far as installing it, it wasn't too bad at all, but it did require me to take off the whole front bumper cover.

Got the front bumper painted. Just waiting to do the rockers and the plastic trim.

My timing chain rattle has gotten worse. I have a new hydraulic tensioner to go on the left side (front). I did the right side (rear) already. I really think I need to find a rolled 5.0 and just swap it over. Maybe in the spring.

MaYb_72UMqmPfxXyx722kGBuYQwHbHJewlRE=w1377-h832-no.jpg

Looks nice, looks like we did a lot of the same things to our Explorers. Did you take the bumper off to paint it?

Back