91 Explorer Computer learning curve | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

91 Explorer Computer learning curve

94expsport

Reaction score
City, State
Cedartown,Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer Sport 2wd
I have a 91 Explorer I ordered the wrong computer. I ordered one for a 94 and well it loped at idle I found that out here, but it would take all of the gas peddle with no problem. So after I came here and searched the problem I got a computer for my 91 Now it wont Idle until it gets warm and its stumbling like it has a skip. I have Installed a new Maf,new plugs and the tranny has just been rebuilt. I had to put a new fpr due to gas pouring out of the exhaust. Just wondering the paper work that came with computer said the new computer will have to learn the sensors. I was wanting to know how long until it learns this and could my problem be with other sensors. I have a code reader and I am getting the code 99 computer Hasnt learned the system yet all help appreciated. I have also been Getting other codes also.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i know you most likelly did this ...

clear out ANY codes from the system

disconnect the batt for at least 30 minutes ( make sure it's good and powered down ) then reconnect the batt .

...you should have an " ok " idle when you first start it tho .mine takes it at least 20 minutes to relearn it's new parameters @ idle then maybe in miles about 50-100 miles for it to totaly relearn it mpg etc .... .

btw : your sig says you got a 94' !?

91 Explorer Learning curve

I cannot figure out why I thought it was a 94. :dunno: I just messed up somewhere. :banghead: I cannot explain that. But the Title Says its a 91. Ive had this explorer for about 5 years and it sat for about 1.5 with a new Tranny but the motor electronics were messed up. So I started replacing stuff till it Started to run better. First was a new coil pack then New plugs new Maf and now a remaned Computer. By the way can I change my sig to 91 somehow. Thanks for the Help Im going to bleed my new brake system and Drive it today.

I drove the Explorer and it has no power and at about 4000 rpm it spits and pops the rpm drops off. Its almost like the engine is starving for something and It will only get to about 35 to 40 mph. then when I have it in the shop it smells like its running rich and has a skip to it. I checked all the plugs they are fireing. I did Purchase a new set of Iridium5 Platinum plugs but have not installed them yet since the ones in it are working. The only things I have not changed yet are the O2 sensor and the TPS sensor. I did get the TPS code from the Code reader when I got back. I plan on replacing the TPS sensor first try it and then if that does not work then the O2 Sensor. any thoughts on what else It might be. All help Greatly Appreciated.
Rodney

go ahead and swap in your new plugs ( since you've already got them ) and see if that does not help if not then goto the tps sensor( that alone could cause the problems ...like if the butterfly is shut and the tps is telling the engine/injectors to spray a little more because the sensor thinks that it's not at a zero postion and to give the engine a little more gas ( up and down idle)

I drove the Explorer and it has no power and at about 4000 rpm it spits and pops the rpm drops off. Its almost like the engine is starving for something and It will only get to about 35 to 40 mph. then when I have it in the shop it smells like its running rich and has a skip to it. I checked all the plugs they are fireing. I did Purchase a new set of Iridium5 Platinum plugs but have not installed them yet since the ones in it are working. The only things I have not changed yet are the O2 sensor and the TPS sensor. I did get the TPS code from the Code reader when I got back. I plan on replacing the TPS sensor first try it and then if that does not work then the O2 Sensor. any thoughts on what else It might be. All help Greatly Appreciated.
Rodney

is it shifting?sound almost like its stuck in first gear and the computer is redlining and shutting off your fuel pump.4000 is pretty high rpms.if it is shifting then i would check your fpr or the fuel filter

Have you checked all your plug wires, not only the condition of them but that they are on the plugs tightly? A bad coil pack would give you intermittent misfiring also. Poor idle until warmed up, that could be the IAC valve or a vacuum leak.

91 Explorer Learning curve

Thanks for the info. The Coil pack is a new one about 4 weeks old. I will go ahead and change plugs. I also went ahead and purchased a new O2 sensor along with the TPS sensor It will be here Today. I will put it on tonight. I work Second shift so I have to do all my mechanic work from about 11.30 pm till about 4 or 5 in the morning. I have also Replaced the Fuel pump and sending unit also the FPR it was bad. I have replaced the MAF changed oil,new PCV valve,Air cleaner. Thanks for the help I Really Appreciate it I will let you guys know how it turns out later on in the week. Rodney

Just a suggestion if you haven't checked this already, but it sounds to me like it could possibly be the MAF. try disconnecting it and if it idles better. clean or replace it. (sometimes the disconnect-to-test method works) that will of course make it throw codes. so you'll have to clear it after.

I swapped the engine from a 94 into a 91.I had to use the 91 wiring harness and upper intake because of the cam positioning sensor (the 94 had one, and the 91 did not) and a different egr setup. It only took the 91 ECM 5 minutes to learn, and now it runs great. I'm even using the 94 lower intake and injectors. It sounds like it may be the wiring harness itself.

Just a suggestion if you haven't checked this already, but it sounds to me like it could possibly be the MAF. try disconnecting it and if it idles better. clean or replace it. (sometimes the disconnect-to-test method works) that will of course make it throw codes. so you'll have to clear it after.

After a few months of owning my explorer it started to do the same thing, it would idle weird, die when slowing down (very dangerous) and just not run right. If you havent messed with the MAF sensor, try tapping it with a wrench (not to hard but a good little tap) while its on. If it bogs down/dies when you tap it, theres your problem. I just bought a new one, swap it out and runs great now.

EDIT: Just saw that you said you swapped the MAF.. If it was me id still test/tap on it to see how it acts.

Back