whats the easiest way to remove the stock muffler off a '98 XLT 4.0 SOHC? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

whats the easiest way to remove the stock muffler off a '98 XLT 4.0 SOHC?

jcwaters1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
i havent messed with it much, seeing as how my new muffler wont be here till thursday, but it looks to be a bit of a b**ch to get the muffler out of those rubber hangers. whats the easiest way to get it outta there?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Saws all! Thats the easiest way i have done it. Cut the hangers and then cut the muffler off with it also!

i havent messed with it much, seeing as how my new muffler wont be here till thursday, but it looks to be a bit of a b**ch to get the muffler out of those rubber hangers. whats the easiest way to get it outta there?
The rubber hangers arent too bad - just spray some lubricant (WD-40 works) and rotate from one side to the other as you pull.

Saws all! Thats the easiest way i have done it. Cut the hangers and then cut the muffler off with it also!

but i will need the hangers to weld onto the new muffler so i cant cut them.

The rubber hangers arent too bad - just spray some lubricant (WD-40 works) and rotate from one side to the other as you pull.

while the muffler is still under the truck? or is there a trick to get the whole assembly out of there and onto the garage floor for more room? then i want to weld the hangers to the new muffler, and throw the whole thing back up in there

while the muffler is still under the truck? or is there a trick to get the whole assembly out of there and onto the garage floor for more room? then i want to weld the hangers to the new muffler, and throw the whole thing back up in there
Yeah you first have to disconnect/cut the muffler from the catalytic converters and then you can slide the rest of the exhaust backwards and remove it from the vehicle (after which you can cut and re-weld the hangers onto the new muffler).

I think they mean to cut the RUBBER part of the hangers, not the metal attached to the chassis. The rubber "biscuits" should replaced with the exhaust anyway, as they wear and strecth over time.

Yes, you'll also need to cut the muffler off the rest if the exhaust to slide it back. Just be careful to cut "downstream" of the flange that connect the muffler to the cat. If you bought a stock style replacement exhaust, or a "bolt-in" performance setup, you'll need that stock flange intact.

The biscuits also can be reused if they are in good condition. Reused mine with my MAC back and they hold great.

I was actually referring to the steel part that comes off the muffler or pipe itself. The part the goes INTO the rubber part of the hanger that is attached to the frame. They weld steel hangers onto mufflers and pipes, then they slide them into the rubbers that are hanging from the frame. I cut the part that comes off of the muffler and pipe itself.

sawzall and silicone spray lubricant cut pipe as close as possible to muffler and soak the rubber hangers in silicone spray. a big pair of channel type pliers aid in getting the steel part out of the rubber. pry bars also help.

Back