SVO42's 1-ton SAS | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

SVO42's 1-ton SAS

I've been wanting to do this for a while, and I finally had the opportunity. I picked up my "new" axles yesterday: a HP Dana 60 front and a Ford Sterling 10.25" rear, both from an '87 F-350.

My plans as of right now are:
5.38 gears
rear Detroit Locker
? front
doubler transfer case: BW 1354/Dana 20
38"+ tires
:smoke:

So it begins!

IMG_3517.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I have something you should buy for this rig to make it even more awesome!!

From the stress on the lack of an outer bearing in CO and then wheeling it hard the DS rear axle shaft broke while BethAnn was driving [insert women drivers joke here] that night. The broken shaft has also somehow rendered the Detroit Locker a Detroit Open. I plan on getting it back to Neil's to see if it's repairable or not. I did some searching and found that a broken shaft can lead to Detroits grenading, too, so with that serious design flaw (in my book) I won't buy another. If I have to replace the rear locker it will be an ARB.

Finally got it out today. It'll get dissected at Neil's. :shoot: Next to it are some small pieces of metal and powdery gunked metal I found in the housing.

2011-04-13142428.jpg

Just read this whole thread. That Ex is insane!! :thumbsup: Keep up the good work. Hope the locker is salvageable. :)

Just read this whole thread. That Ex is insane!! :thumbsup: Keep up the good work. Hope the locker is salvageable. :)

Thanks! Finally got it apart today. One of the side gears (?) had the teeth completely stripped off of both sides. Neil's going to check with his parts hookup guy to see if we can just get the replacement gear. I sure hope so, because otherwise this will wind up being a $600 Lincoln locker. :(

Don't buy a Detroit Locker! (Unless it's the GM 14-bolt application, which I understand isn't such a POS since it goes in like a huge lunchbox locker with stouter pieces.)

Detroit1.jpg

Detroit2.jpg

Detroit3.jpg

Detroit4.jpg

Been there done that. I have rebuilt my Detroit twice now. Last time it not only took the teeth off but broke the gear itself into several pieces. I just found one on Craigslist and used its guts to rebuild mine both times (1 whole locker was enough for 2 repairs) as it was very hard to track down replacement side gears.

How chewed up did the inside of your Detroit case get? Mine got some deep gouges but that didnt cause any problems after the rebuild. Just take a die grinder to them to smooth it down.

There is a new locker out there called Grizzly by Yukon Gear that is a Detroit but with a better design to eliminate that problem. Im hoping to get my hands on a test unit soon for my 60 which they just released a week or 2 ago.

About the 14 bolt Detroit- Its the same thing but as you said it just uses the stock carrier and can still strip out the teeth but you have to try and break the shaft first. I love 14 bolts :D

Case was OK, thankfully.

Got it back together with the new "side gears" at Neil's shop (Nac's Fab) last night. Then, when I got home, my power steering fluid cooler was waiting for me! I'm probably going to have to replace the pump--BethAnn's "midnight ride" got that fluid pretty hot. I'm going to try some teflon tape, but I think the stupid plastic reservoir threads where the high pressure line attaches melted a bit and it can't keep fluid in it. Hopefully this will help. :thumbsup:

CoolerDetroit.jpg

Gotta get this thing ready for Memorial Day weekend! :bounce:

Any updates on this rig? I'd love to see this thing in action!

Not much. Having a baby slowed things down a bit. :D The last time I took it out was Labor Day weekend last year and had a great time. I still need to fix the front shackle fold-over problem. I'm going to try a shorter shackle first but if that doesn't do it I'll have to tilt the bottom of the shackle mount more rearward.

I also think I have my transmission and transfer case swap figured out that I want to do. ;)

Not much. Having a baby slowed things down a bit. :D The last time I took it out was Labor Day weekend last year and had a great time. I still need to fix the front shackle fold-over problem. I'm going to try a shorter shackle first but if that doesn't do it I'll have to tilt the bottom of the shackle mount more rearward.

I also think I have my transmission and transfer case swap figured out that I want to do. ;)

Hey man I see your not too far from me. Wanna get together and talk about some plans I have for my 2nd gen?

I might be able to work something out sometime. Where you you live? FYI, I cleaned out my PM Inbox now.

OK, NOW my PM box has room. Deletions didn't take the first time. :scratch:

Not much, unfortunately. Other things came up that took my time. Had to replace the springs on the tow rig Excursion (big job!), then a new deck for the trailer. Then, after getting a Scangauge, we found out the oil cooler on the Excursion's 6.0 PSD was on its way out. That's been a big job and I'm still not done with it since I also replaced the EGR cooler and am adding a coolant filter. Plus working 60+ hours/week for most of the fall didn't leave much time. We were hoping to take it to Colorado in July but couldn't get everything done in time (obviously). I did take it out over Memorial Day weekend where this happened:

TRexEx.jpg

TRexEx2.jpg

I tried to get the brakes working better. Replaced the rear shoes which were shot, a bigger master cylinder, and finally a proportioning valve and the brakes are definitely better but the pedal is still mushy despite bleeding it multiple times. It still needs some bumpers and sliders and I'm seriously considering getting my own welder and tube bender and doing it myself, and then, once I've had some practice, build a cage. And the NP-435/Dana 20 swap...you know how it goes.

Speaking of the proportioning valve, I think that was my brake issue from the start. By bypassing the ABS pump that meant I was bypassing the stock proportioning valve that's built into the stock pump. I can tell a noticeable improvement once I added the aftermarket valve. Since I'm still not satisfied I'll be going hydroboost eventually as well as full hydraulic steering. Turning those 40s is sometimes a real challenge in the rocks.

Very nice, I hope you get that thing back on the road soon. I always enjoy looking at your explore it's one of my favorites. Thanks for the update have a good one.

Back