Hearing Noise When Turning Deep Turn to Left Side | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hearing Noise When Turning Deep Turn to Left Side

Ehill

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Eddie Bauer
Hello,
Hope everyone is doing fine! I'm a new member. I just discovered this website this morning. I've a 2003 Ford Explorer (V6) with 58K miles. The problem is that I'm hearing a noise on the left side of vehicle anytime while turning deeply to the left like when going into a curve that goes to the left. I've no idea what the problem may be. Could it be a defective tie rod, hub bearing (i replaced the hub bearing assembly last winter, so hopefully this isn't the problem), ball joint, etc? There is no vibration at the steering wheel while driving the vehicle down the road at slow or high speed, only when turning deep to the left. It's like a roaring sound as if something is rubbing. The vehicle has 22 inch wheels on it so hopefully this isn't causing problems. I don't hear any noise on the right side while turning deeply to the right when approaching a curve. Has anyone ever experienced this type problem? If so, i would appreciate some assistance for i don't want to get ripped off at a local MIDAS, BIG O or any other shop. I would appreciate any feedback on this matter. Hope to hear from you soon!
Have a good weekend!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same here HELP

I am having the same problem that started a few weeks ago. I had the front right wheel bearing replaced a few months back but it was not making this noise at that time.

Hello,
Hope everyone is doing fine! I'm a new member. I just discovered this website this morning. I've a 2003 Ford Explorer (V6) with 58K miles. The problem is that I'm hearing a noise on the left side of vehicle anytime while turning deeply to the left like when going into a curve that goes to the left. I've no idea what the problem may be. Could it be a defective tie rod, hub bearing (i replaced the hub bearing assembly last winter, so hopefully this isn't the problem), ball joint, etc? There is no vibration at the steering wheel while driving the vehicle down the road at slow or high speed, only when turning deep to the left. It's like a roaring sound as if something is rubbing. The vehicle has 22 inch wheels on it so hopefully this isn't causing problems. I don't hear any noise on the right side while turning deeply to the right when approaching a curve. Has anyone ever experienced this type problem? If so, i would appreciate some assistance for i don't want to get ripped off at a local MIDAS, BIG O or any other shop. I would appreciate any feedback on this matter. Hope to hear from you soon!
Have a good weekend!

I've got the same exact issue with my 98 XLT automatic 4x4. I hope someone has a fix.

You could try jacking the front tires off the ground and try wiggling the tire to see if its a lower ball joint, there shouldnt be any play in it.

Same Problem

I have the same problem with my 03 explorer, it started about a month ago and has only gotten worse, I need to take it to a shop really soon but I dont want to get ripped off. Its a swooshing noise that almost vibrates the whole car, but it mostly vibrates the steering wheel. It sounds like its coming from the left tire. The noise is not there on the highway.It Only persists on turns that are made without coming to a stop before the turn, like when you turn in a neighborhood where there are no stop signs.

I have the same thing on my '04.
A mechanic checked it during a test drive and said it's the hub bearing on the right side. (vibration when turning left ==> right wheel is stressed)

However I think we're talking several different symptoms/noises here. I have the humming noise + steering wheel vibration.
It gets louder in wet weather.

Going to order the parts from rockauto (hub bearing assemblies for both side, just to be sure)...

I've had the noise for quite sometime. I've changed the right side wheel hub thanks to a pot hole. The noise is still there.. To me is sounds like something in the steering linkage. I checked the ball joints today and they are fine.

look around behind the wheel and see if it rubbing on anything,

Thanks for responding. I took mine to MIDAS, a local repair shop, for an inspection. They claim that based on past experience, they think it is the passenger side wheel bearing but they aren't 100 percent sure. I decided to just wait to see if the noise get any worse since i don't hear it until i turn deeply or slightly to the left. MIDAS say that they believe the noise is coming from the passenger side although it appears to be coming from the driver side. They say while turning left in a curve, the weight of the vehicle is thrown to the right side which damaged the bearing. I don't really know whatg to believe. So i decided to just wait to see if it gets any worse. I may take it to another shop just to see if they tell me the same thing, which i doubt. These hub assemblies aren't too cheap. I pad $200 for the one i replaced on the driver side last winter. Let me know if you find out what the specific problem is. I appreciate hearing from you. Take care!

QUOTE=TCP;1914480]I am having the same problem that started a few weeks ago. I had the front right wheel bearing replaced a few months back but it was not making this noise at that time.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for sharing! Very aggravating isn't it? I feel the same way. If anyone has a fix, let me know soonest.

I've got the same exact issue with my 98 XLT automatic 4x4. I hope someone has a fix.

OK, but i had MIDAS check my entire front end the past weekend and they claim my front end parts are fine except for the right side wheel bearing but they weren't sure about that either. Thanks

QUOTE=yooper;1914670]You could try jacking the front tires off the ground and try wiggling the tire to see if its a lower ball joint, there shouldnt be any play in it.[/QUOTE]

I'm amazed at how many of us are having the same problem. Yours is doing the same exact thing as mine. While driving down the highway, I don't hear a thing but as soon as i go in a curve turning left, here the noise come. As soon as i clear the curve, the noise is gone. I just don't understand it. Please let me know if you find out what is causing this. I refuse to replace another wheel bearing unless i feel the vibration while driving. One fellow at Big O Tires told me that the hub will lock up if it get bad enough which can be fatal at a high speed. Thanks for sharing!

I have the same problem with my 03 explorer, it started about a month ago and has only gotten worse, I need to take it to a shop really soon but I dont want to get ripped off. Its a swooshing noise that almost vibrates the whole car, but it mostly vibrates the steering wheel. It sounds like its coming from the left tire. The noise is not there on the highway.It Only persists on turns that are made without coming to a stop before the turn, like when you turn in a neighborhood where there are no stop signs.

They could be right- bearings have a tendency to fool you- what sounds like the right is the left, and vice versa.

If it's a rhythmic pulsing or growling noise, that speeds up or slows down along with the travel speed of the truck and gets worse when the vehicle is turned, most likely it is a wheel bearing. If it goes away on a straight, it's 99% a wheel bearing.

When you turn left you load up the right bearing, and when you turn right you load up the left bearing. So if it's doing it when you turn left, I'd say right wheel bearing.

They can go bad fast, too- my 2004 Taurus with 36K miles had one failing when I sold it.

Do me a favor and let me know if replacing the hub bearing on the passenger side fix the problem. MIDAS told me the same exact thing based on their experience. They said the right side wheel bearing is probably bad since i'm hearing the noise when turning to the left. I've a slight vibration in the steering wheel as well. I try my best to ignore it but i still feel it. Can you tell me the cost of the wheel bearing hub at Rockauto. I purchased mines at O'Reilly and paid over $200 for it. MIDAS quoted me $500 plus to replace just one wheel hub bearing/labor costs. I said no way. I did it myself for it isn't that difficult actually. Thanks for responding! Keep us informed! Take it easy.

I have the same thing on my '04.
A mechanic checked it during a test drive and said it's the hub bearing on the right side. (vibration when turning left ==> right wheel is stressed)

However I think we're talking several different symptoms/noises here. I have the humming noise + steering wheel vibration.
It gets louder in wet weather.

Going to order the parts from rockauto (hub bearing assemblies for both side, just to be sure)...

Hi, thanks for that info! MIDAS basically told me the right side wheel bearing is probably the problem although i dont hear the noise while driving straight down the road. I've decided to wait to see if and when the noise get worse and i'm sure it will according to what i'm learning on this website. Someone was telling me about an auto stetheloscope (probably misspelled that word).
The stetheloscope can supposedly be used to listen to the sound coming from the wheel bearing while it is being rotated around or spinned around. Are you familiar with an auto stetheloscope and how to use it? I think i have heard about this tool in the past but never seen one and how it's used. Thanks for sharing the knowledge. I appreciate it very much.

They could be right- bearings have a tendency to fool you- what sounds like the right is the left, and vice versa.

If it's a rhythmic pulsing or growling noise, that speeds up or slows down along with the travel speed of the truck and gets worse when the vehicle is turned, most likely it is a wheel bearing. If it goes away on a straight, it's 99% a wheel bearing.

When you turn left you load up the right bearing, and when you turn right you load up the left bearing. So if it's doing it when you turn left, I'd say right wheel bearing.

They can go bad fast, too- my 2004 Taurus with 36K miles had one failing when I sold it.

Steering growling

Those of you with this steering growl please respond. Does the noise stop when the turing of the steering wheel stops??? The Vehicle is still proceeding thru the turn. It is not something rubbing I've checked all over the place.. :(

Does the noise stop when the turing of the steering wheel stops??? The Vehicle is still proceeding thru the turn.

No, as long as the steering wheel is at an angle it will make the noise. Only when the vehicle is heading straight will it stop.

Do you have a Limited Slip rearend?

After a fresh gearoil change, my 04 with LS slips slightly, causing almost a grinding noise during left turns. Could this be what you are hearing?

JP

I have the exact same problem but with one more thing that no one has mentioned. I have the low growl when turning left but I also have a popping sound. It's the kind of sound you get when you flex a new suspension lift on a truck! It can really be heard if you are at a dead stop then gas it to turn left. It's not a constant sound though. I just had a rear wheel bearing changed. That puppy hummed every second. This isn't then same sound.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the exact same problem but with one more thing that no one has mentioned. I have the low growl when turning left but I also have a popping sound. It's the kind of sound you get when you flex a new suspension lift on a truck! It can really be heard if you are at a dead stop then gas it to turn left. It's not a constant sound though. I just had a rear wheel bearing changed. That puppy hummed every second. This isn't then same sound.

I have the same problem with the same growling/roaring sound when turning left at a slow speed or from a stop. the only time I heard a popping sound is when I turned sharp to hear the sound while having it in 4 wheel drive. Sure hope someone can guide us in the right direction, it sure could get costly replacing parts to find the answer. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:salute:

Back