How to: - How to: Replace Sway Bar bushings (frame only) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: How to: Replace Sway Bar bushings (frame only)

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

NHarris

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Gillette, Wyoming
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Wrangler, 08 Ranger
I know most probably know how to do this, but for the sake of those that are not as mechanically inclined as others, hopefully this will help.

So I got tired of my squeaking front end. It was getting too noisy and sounding horrible. So I went down to NAPA auto parts to get some replacements. They cost $20.00 for the 2. I have yet to test em out, but I packed these full of grease everywhere I could. So here's the pics

3/8" Drive, 15mm deep socket, 15mm shallow socket, a shorter extension; 1/2" drive ratchet, 15mm socket

MAKE SURE to measure the swaybar diameter by either; using a micrometer or using the adjustable wrench (which I used). Just have to tighten the wrench to the sway bar diameter, then back it off very slightly (just enough to get it off). Then measure the distance between the two "prongs". If you have to convert from inches to millimeters, should be about 1" 4/18 if you have the 31mm swaybar.
If you used another method to measure your sway bar; post up that method.

I should've snapped a few more pics, but I didn't want to ruin my camera when my hands had grease all over em.
All captions for the pics are ABOVE the pictures

First, locate the swaybar bushing, find the 2 15mm bolts, one on the front, one on of back, this pic shows the one on the back.
212edit.jpg

Start to loosen these bolts. You will find a 15mm deep socket will work at first, but then you will need to switch off to the shallow socket.
213edit.jpg

When both are taken off, the bracket will still stick to the bushing. It will take some slight force to take it off. After that is taken off this is what you will see...
214edit.jpg

Slide this to the left and then where it splits, lift on both sides of the split and remove it.
215edit.jpg

Now compare the two bushings, make sure you have the same diameter hole. I had the 31mm sway bar. If you have too big of a diameter even by a few millimeters you'll get a clunking noise
216edit.jpg

I greased everything under the sun on these parts. From the bracket to the bushing. I don't ever want to hear this thing squeak again! :D
217edit.jpg

To reinstall, just take the new bushing, you'll have to get dirty here to get it back on, but put your hands inside of the bushing and lift (pushing towards the spilt) and then push in onto the sway bar in a similar loaction, then slide back to the location its supposed to be at.
218edit.jpg

Then reinstall the bracket and as you can see I have grease all over the bushing. Repeat for the passenger side.
219edit.jpg

Why I say use a 1/2" drive ratchet on this write-up, is the passenger side is very difficult to re-install. There is little room and not much leverage to tighten it up. Some advice: turn your wheels all the way to the left, and use the larger 1/2" ratchet to tighten it up.

Torque THE BOLTS to 52 Ft-Lbs

Questions, comments, are all welcomed. If I forgot to mention anything on this, let me know.
I will report back on how well this works out and if my squeaky front end is gone. Lets hope it is.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great write up! The funny thing is my Ranger's bushings are starting to squeak now. Gonna do this sometime this week. I'm probably gonna try to get the energy suspension bushings with the grease fittings pre-installed.

Great write up Nate! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

How did you measure the sway bar? :dunno:

Sorry all, I left one detail out; the torque spec for it...now added. :thumbsup:

haha, didn't see that.
To measure it there are a few ways of going about it....
A micrometer, I don't need to do much explaining with that.
An adjustable wrench (which I used). Just have to tighten the wrench to the sway bar diameter, then back it off very slightly (just enough to get it off). Then measure the distance between the two "prongs". If you have to convert from inches to millimeters, should be about 1" 4/18 if you have the 31mm swaybar

When I do this, I plan on using Marine grade grease, as it will not deteriorate as easily as standard grease, especially since in our region we experience the 4-Seasons and usually winter (snow) and fall/spring/summer (rain) can wash away any grease, especially if the truck is used daily.

I've used Marine grade grease on my Mustangs suspension bushings, etc. (as well as using it on other prior vehicles) w/ great success and it's never dissipated or deteriorated like standard grease can over time.

Nice write up as well - this should be a new sticky thread, since it's another common Explorer "failure" that needs a fix...

UPDATE: so far so good. No squeaky front end. Worth the 20 bucks.
Posted via Mobile Device

haha, didn't see that.
To measure it there are a few ways of going about it....
A micrometer, I don't need to do much explaining with that.
An adjustable wrench (which I used). Just have to tighten the wrench to the sway bar diameter, then back it off very slightly (just enough to get it off). Then measure the distance between the two "prongs". If you have to convert from inches to millimeters, should be about 1" 4/18 if you have the 31mm swaybar

Thanks Nate. The adjustable wrench is a great idea. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks Nate. The adjustable wrench is a great idea. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yeah, I'll admit though, I did google how to measure sway bar diameter and that was one of the methods that came up

Yeah, I'll admit though, I did google how to measure sway bar diameter and that was one of the methods that came up

Oh Nate, you just dropped 3 points in the ingenuity department. But you did google to find out how and I didn't think of that so I guess you only loose 2 points. :p:

I didn't know what size the sway bar was...so I needed to find out :p:

Google is the best and worst automotive handbook

I didn't know what size the sway bar was...so I needed to find out :p:

Google is the best and worst automotive handbook

You got that right!

I still find my repair manual the best $20.00 spent...helped me find the torque specs for this.

I hope this will get stickied for future reference...'Cause I didn't know anything about doing this until I finished.. :D

EDIT: and still no squeaky front end :) I think a lot of it had to do with how dry the last bushings were.

How do you know if it is the sway bar bushings that are squeeking?

Can you describe the type of noise you're hearing? I have some squeeking, and not sure if it is this or possibly the ball joints.

If you hear squeaking going over bumps and dips spray some WD 40 in the bushings. If the squeaking stops and comes back a while later then its the bushings.

If you hear squeaking going over bumps and dips spray some WD 40 in the bushings. If the squeaking stops and comes back a while later then its the bushings.

Okay, this doesn't sound like the issue I'm having. I'm having squealing when making a hard right turn at low speeds, such as when turning into a parking space. Hopefully replacing the ball joints will solve it.

Thanks for the quick response.

I think the squeaky bushings are coming back!!! :( Is there anything I can do to stop it from squeaking

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tried this last weekend. First bolt came out protesting every turn (blue thread lock on it). Second bolt came out 3/8" and then I could not move it in or out. If I used the 24" power bar the bolt would "jump" like the captive nut was rotating!

Left it on jack stands for a few days. Tried a propane torch to heat the bolt and then screwed the bolt back in. A bit more heat and it eventually came out.

Installed the new greasable bushing on the one side. Wife needs vehicle this week so will tackle the other side later.

I did find out that my grease gun won't fit on the fitting as installed as the clearance between the fitting and lower control arm is too close. Guess I'll have to buy a flexible adapter/hose to get the grease gun on there.

Will do the other side later in the year when it warms up and don't need to have two vehicles available.

Thanks for the tips.

I used this kit from Advance Auto:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...y-Suspension_16360000-P_N3435C_P|GRP60035____

Back