1996 Ignition Lock Cylinder replace | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 Ignition Lock Cylinder replace

surfcjw

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
1996 Ignition Key Lock Cylinder: remove, replace

Well, here is my first thread/post ...
In the AM, the ignition was fine. Then I had an appointment in the afternoon, but when i got in the car and turned the key it wouldn't start. All the electrical came on, but it wouldn't start. So, i left the key in the RUN position, and jumped the starter relay to get to my appointment.
When i got to my destination, i turned the key to OFF. I had a few minutes to spare, so I tried to start it once more. Again, it wouldn't start, but all electrical came on, the fuel pump primed, the radio came one, etc. I turned to key to OFF again, but when i did nothing turned off, and the key wasnt working at all now. It would just spin inside the lock cylinder. i had to disconnect the battery to turn the electrical off, so I could go to my appointment.
To leave for home, I have to reconnect the battery and jump short the relay again. When i got home, since the key wasn't working anything, i tried to kill the engine by disconnecting th eNEG battery cable.. nothing. I tried also disconnecting the POS battery cable...nothing. I thought the battery had to be in the circuit to get spark; I guess not. I was finally able to kill the engine by disconnecting the 6-amp ignition fuse.
DSC02667.jpg

After reading my Haynes Guide, I ruled out the "Ignition Switch" which is located on the steering column. I decided the problem was probably just with the key lock cylinder. After taking the old one out, I saw where it was broken. I got the part for $15.99 from Advance auto: Part No. LC14390, made by LockSmart. http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...-BWD_19970625-P_521_R|GRPSESWAMS_562923144___
Below is how I replaced it:
1. Per the Haynes Guide, I disconnected the NEG and POS battery cable, and waited two minutes.
2. I inserted my key into the lock, and rotated it to the RUN position. This was a little tricky since the key was spinning freely, I could no longer feel clicks between each position. The correct position has the top of the key pointing towards the shift lever shown here:
DSC02676.jpg

3. To pull out the old cylinder, you have to depress the pin on the bottom of the tumbler. There is a hole on the underside of the black plastic cowl where you can see the pin, and insert a punch or awl. (The pic is looking up from under the steering column)
DSC02675-1.jpg

4. So, now the key is in the RUN position, you pressed in the pin, now you pull on the key and tumbler, and it should come out. You may have to rotate the key and tumbler back and forth a little bit to wiggle it out. Now it looks like this (you can see the broken "spade" still in the lock cylinder. Sorry its a bit out of focus.

Broken piece still in there.
DSC02684.jpg

Broken piece removed.
DSC02685.jpg

Shot of tumbler and broken spade.
DSC02686.jpg

New lock compared to old.
DSC02687.jpg

5. To insert the new lock, hold the tumbler in one hand, and push on the pin with your thumb. As you do this, rotate the key a little less than an quarter-turn, and the pin should push in. Now line it up with the cylinder, and insert. Finally, rotate the key and tumbler counter-clockwise (top towards you) and the pin will lock into place.
6. Reconnect the battery, test start, reset your radio, and go have fun.
-Chet

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how do I remove the ignition switch without a key on a 1996 ford explorer

If I originally have a transponder key can I replace the ignition switch with a non transponder and just lose my anti theft stuff or do I really have to buy the expensive one and figure out how to get it programmed? 2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0 SOHC

If I originally have a transponder key can I replace the ignition switch with a non transponder and just lose my anti theft stuff or do I really have to buy the expensive one and figure out how to get it programmed? 2000 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0 SOHC

sorry, you will have to get it reprogrammed.

how did you get the broken piece out? i cant get to it

1996 Explorer XLT

My 1996 explorer has the security system key. Can mine just be rebuilt with the cheap key set or do I have to replace and have the key's recoded by ford or a locksmith?
Thanks for any help
William

My 1996 explorer has the security system key. Can mine just be rebuilt with the cheap key set or do I have to replace and have the key's recoded by ford or a locksmith?
Thanks for any help
William

your 96 does not have P.A.T.S. in it, so you can just get a a key cut

Back