Adding LED pod lights to cowl area | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding LED pod lights to cowl area

While searching on Amazon I found some $19 LED pod lights so I decided to give them a try. I needed mounts so I decided to try the bottom of the windshield/ Cowl area. I drew up a bracket and cut them out.

20150929_111335 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

Not having a decent way to bend metal I resorted to a hammer and vice. The cut lines in the bracket help to line up the bend points.

20150929_111521 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

Two brackets mirror images of each other for each side of the truck.

20150929_134400 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

Lights mounted up.

20150929_175939 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

Hood clears all the way through normal motion. I still need to wire and aim them. If I decide I like them I have a few ideas for improving these mounts that I will implement into version two.

20150929_175656 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have those same lights mounted to my frame under my rear bumper as reverse lights. Love them.

Have you played with them at all yet?

That's nice, I wouldn't mind something like this. How is it mounted (close up)?

Just a thought getting the mount to be where the lights (and its own bracket) land the center of the pod light dead center of the side mirror housing (on the same height).

On your next go around would you be willing to post measurements for kind of a template?

link to the lights?

Looks great, nice work!

I've always liked that mounting location for pod lights.

Thanks.

I have those same lights mounted to my frame under my rear bumper as reverse lights. Love them.

Have you played with them at all yet?

Only around the neighborhood. Having a white hood they give a nasty glare off the hood. :mad: Not sure if I will be keeping them or not. If I decide to pull them off I will either use them as reverse lights on my car trailer or facing rearward on my cage to light up the bed/ backup lights.

That's nice, I wouldn't mind something like this. How is it mounted (close up)?

Just a thought getting the mount to be where the lights (and its own bracket) land the center of the pod light dead center of the side mirror housing (on the same height).

On your next go around would you be willing to post measurements for kind of a template?

To mount them I just pulled the fenders off and ran some self taping screws into the body to hold them. If I plan on keeping them I plan on getting rivnuts to use.

For measurements no. If you would like a set send me a pm and I could make another set on my plasma table and mail them.

link to the lights?

Looks like they have gone up a few bucks.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G620ZVU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

I have always liked that spot as well, but the only light I considered would be a 6" day lighter on each side (think police spot light). However, I thought they would be a bit bulky as well. These LEDs look nice.

Definitely curious to see a light pattern shining on the road for these guys.

While searching on Amazon I found some $19 LED pod lights so I decided to give them a try. I needed mounts so I decided to try the bottom of the windshield/ Cowl area. I drew up a bracket and cut them out.

21825708975_ee56eea31b_c.jpg
20150929_111335 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

Not having a decent way to bend metal I resorted to a hammer and vice. The cut lines in the bracket help to line up the bend points.

21825708915_6e7ec2c23d_c.jpg
20150929_111521 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

Two brackets mirror images of each other for each side of the truck.

21794820876_658c4e26e9_c.jpg
20150929_134400 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

Lights mounted up.

21638776809_90e04cc320_c.jpg
20150929_175939 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

Hood clears all the way through normal motion. I still need to wire and aim them. If I decide I like them I have a few ideas for improving these mounts that I will implement into version two.

21638773589_d087085115_c.jpg
20150929_175656 by Matthew Dresselhaus, on Flickr

hey i have a 1998 ford ranger and i would love to ether make these myself or if u could make some for me but if u did make and send them how much would u charge

Back